Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Top cancer doc quits

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD can reveal that Dr Anne Barnes MBE has quit her post at Withybush Hospital following a dispute
with the Local Health Board. 

Sources close to Ward 10 have told this newspaper that Dr Barnes, awarded the MBE for her services to cancer patients in Pembrokeshire, walked outdocterlast Friday (Jan 30), having become frustrated with what she perceived as the Health Board’s failure to deliver on assurances given previously to her.

Dr Barnes had agreed to come out of retirement to ‘hold the fort’ at Withybush Hospital while the Board made permanent arrangements for specialist staff cover at the ward. It is understood that Dr Barnes became dissatisfied with the arrangements the Board had put in place and was not prepared to continue in the circumstances in which she found herself.

One current staff member told us: “I know that after all the reassurances that Ward 10 would remain dedicated to palliative care and cancer patients, it is now a general medical ward. This means that non-specialist consultants have control of patients’ admissions and treatment.” Dr Barnes told us: “When I put in my notice of retirement, the Health Board had made no successor arrangements.

They asked me to return to set up a full-time acute oncology service. I accepted the challenge to keep the service going. I was asked to extend my contract from December to the end of January. I said I was prepared to do so under certain conditions, which were not met. I went back to work last month to work to its end, but no progress was made.

I was left unable to admit patients and had no junior doctors to work with.” She continued: “I was asked to extend that contract beyond the end of January. I had no written contract. As I felt the Board was not giving me the facilities to provide a good standard service, I decided to leave. I told them on January 20 that I was leaving. The Board told me they wanted me to work notice of a month, but at that stage my fixed term contract ending December 31 was already over.

“Yesterday (Feb 4), I received a letter dated January 30, asking me to sign an extension to my contract!” Dr Barnes concluded: “I feel very upset about the situation. I wanted to try but my feeling is that I cannot come to an agreement with the Health Board that would enable me to deliver the level of service which I consider to be of an acceptable standard.

I prefer, therefore, to leave the service and hope that the Board is able to find a replacement.” Dr Sian Lewis Acute Services Clinical Director and Consultant in Haematology told The Herald: “Dr Barnes has this week withdrawn from the part-time post in oncology and palliative care. The service model introduced six months ago is unaffected by this and patients will continue to receive oncology, palliative care and chemotherapy services at Withybush Hospital, from a team of doctors and nurses, as they do now.”

 

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Tragedy above Milford Haven takeaway

Published

on

DYFED POWYS POLICE has confirmed that a 20-year-old male passed away in Milford Haven last Saturday, April 17.

Police were called to the USA Fried Chicken store on Charles Street at around 1:30pm but have said there are no suspicious circumstances.

A Herald reporter was at the scene and witnessed a number of police cars and an ambulance while plain-clothed officers were also seen.

HM Coroner has been informed.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson added: “We were called to Charles Street in Milford Haven on Saturday 17 April at approximately 1.34pm to reports of a medical emergency. We attended the scene with one emergency ambulance where we assisted colleagues from the police.”

Continue Reading

Health

Tavernspite School the ‘healthiest of schools despite the pandemic’

Published

on

THE STAFF, governors, parents, and of course, the children of Tavernspite Community Primary School are delighted to gain the Welsh Network of Healthy School Schemes National Quality Award for an incredible 5th time after a recent and very rigorous assessment.

The school is already well known and highly regarded for its outstanding work in developing the health and wellbeing of all members of its school community. To achieve this prestigious recognition in the midst of a pandemic is all the more impressive. 

Health and Wellbeing at the school is led by teacher, Lauren Arthur, who has done an incredible job preparing for this re-assessment and raising the profile of the Healthy Schools scheme.

The assessor Mrs Lynne Perry, enjoyed a virtual tour and presentation by Year 3 pupils who took great pleasure in proudly showing Mrs Perry all the wonderful work the school has done to ensure its children are safe, happy with high levels of emotional and physical wellbeing.

In her report, Mrs Perry wrote, ‘Tavernspite School continues to be an outstanding health promoting school. The health promoting school ethos is evident across the whole school population and it runs seamlessly throughout everything that the school does. Tavernspite School continues to give high priority to promoting and enhancing the health and well-being of the whole school community.’

The school received fantastic support from Mrs Liz Western, Senior Public Health Officer and Lead for Healthy Schools and Pre-schools, Pembrokeshire, to whom they are very grateful.

Head teacher Kevin Phelps said, ‘We were delighted to receive this award for the fifth time, particularly considering the experiences we have all been through these past twelve months. Health and wellbeing has never been so important and we are proud to be leading the way like this.’

Continue Reading

News

Joinery learner through to Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year Finals

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COLLEGE joinery learner, Conor Ratcliff has made it through to the final ten in this year’s Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year competition.

Now in its seventh year, the competition celebrates the next generation of tradespeople as they start out on their career. With over 2,500 nominations, Conor was shortlisted to the top 30 where he had to deliver a video presentation to industry-leading judges and trade body representatives. Judged on professionalism, creativity, innovation, enthusiasm and knowledge of their trade, Conor impressed the judges and is now in the final 10.  

Simon Jackson, Screwfix Customer and Digital director, commented: “Every year we are amazed by the outstanding quality of entrants and, this year, we are on the lookout for apprentices who go above and beyond to succeed within their chosen trade.

“We’ve seen how this career-boosting accolade and £10,000 prize bundle helps kickstart an apprentice’s career. I’d like to wish everyone through to this stage the best of luck!”

The prize package includes everything a future tradesperson may need to start up their own business including £5,000 of tools, a £3,000 training budget and £2,000 worth of technology. The college where they study will also receive £2,000.

Conor is thrilled to have made it through to the finals and commented: “I am extremely honoured to have made it this far in the competition and I am very excited for the final event. It would be an amazing opportunity for me, if I won this competition.

“I hope it encourages more people to consider an apprenticeship in a trade, the Carpentry and Joinery department have been incredibly supportive during my studies.”

The Final is due to take place imminently where the judges will conduct an online interview with the ten finalists before selecting and announcing their overall winner.

Continue Reading
News5 hours ago

Tragedy above Milford Haven takeaway

DYFED POWYS POLICE has confirmed that a 20-year-old male passed away in Milford Haven last Saturday, April 17. Police were...

News1 day ago

Joinery learner through to Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year Finals

PEMBROKESHIRE COLLEGE joinery learner, Conor Ratcliff has made it through to the final ten in this year’s Screwfix Trade Apprentice...

News1 day ago

Pembroke Dock: Trial date set in historical rape case

A 69-YEAR-OLD man, charged with nine counts of raping a girl under the age of 16 in Pembroke Dock, will...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven man admits string of sexual assaults at Crown Court

A MILFORD HAVEN man has pleaded guilty to five sexual assaults, four involving a girl under the age of 16...

Community1 day ago

Pembrokeshire RNLI crew member completes seven marathons in seven days

BYRON GREY, 21, an RNLI volunteer at Little and Broad Haven has run 186 miles across the Pembrokeshire coast, raising...

News2 days ago

Volunteers needed to stop wallies ‘harassing’ Walrus

A LOCAL marine wildlife group has issued a social media plea for people to come forward and help protect ‘Wally...

News2 days ago

Police confirm they are investigating fatal house fire in Haverfordwest

A HOUSE fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest last night sadly resulted in a fatality, Dyfed-Powys Police have confirmed. A spokesperson...

News3 days ago

Multi-agency response to house fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest

FIRE crews are attending a domestic fire in a property on Siskin Close, Haverfordwest. As of 11.45pm on Monday evening...

News3 days ago

Outdoor hospitality given go-ahead and rules on mixing outdoors relaxed in Wales

SIX people will be able to meet outdoors in Wales from Saturday 24 April while outdoor hospitality will be allowed...

News3 days ago

Police ‘enforcement and engagement’ to curb anti-social behaviour in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby will be using enforcement and engagement in a bid to curb future incidents of anti-social behaviour, they...

Popular This Week