Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Homeless man back in prison after cannabis arrest

Published

on

A HOMELESS man, who had become a recognisable character on the streets of Milford Haven, dressed in his trademark army gear, was arrested on Tuesday night (May 8), for possession of cannabis.

Police were seen speaking to the Big Issue seller on Hamilton Terrace at around 6pm.

The 39-year-old, who calls himself ‘Craig Jones’ or ‘CJ’, wore a day-to-day outfit which included a helmet, stab vest, combat fatigues, and field boots. However, subsequent to his arrest his true identity been confirmed as Charles James McBride.

The PATCH charity volunteer had been squatting in the crazy golf cabin at the top of the Rath until recently, when he was evicted and the structure secured by owner Pembrokeshire County Council.

In the short time that he had been in the Milford Haven area he was known by a large number of locals, including the mayor, a county councillor, the editor of this newspaper, and had found himself a girlfriend on the Mount Estate.

But what no one knew was that behind his new name was a hidden past.

Ipswich Crown Court heard in February 2014 how Charles McBride bound and gagged his girlfriend, 27-year-old Melissa Cousins, and then kept her prisoner for five hours, as he believed she was possessed by demons.

The pair, who had been living in a World War 2 bunker near Lowestoft, had been in a relationship for two years prior to the incident.

McBride, the court heard, threatened to break her arms if she didn’t comply. She was ‘scared and frightened and crying’ as he tied her hands together with shoelaces, and then tied her legs together with tape and string.

With Cousins tied up, he then zipped her in her sleeping bag and recited extracts from the Bible.

McBride was diagnosed by a psychiatrist as having a severe mixed personality disorder, and that he genuinely believe she had been possessed by demons.

He said: “It didn’t entitle him to act in that way but his genuine belief was that he was acting in her best interests.”

Ms Cousins later withdrew her statement to police.

McBride was jailed for six years, with an extended licence of five years.

PATCH Charity manager Tracy Olin said she was both shocked and heartbroken to hear about CJ’s past and that he had was in Swansea Prison.

McBride was seen regularly outside Tesco selling copies of The Big Issue, as well as being a regular volunteer at PATCH.

He had been helping by giving out balloons at the recent Herald family fun day, and was seemingly well liked in the town.

Following that, the owner of a disused building had given him a roof over his head, but he had been struggling for money after his Big Issue vendor licence had been revoked, following an argument with Tesco management.

Herald editor Tom Sinclair said: “It is obvious that mental health issues were the reason behind the original offence. It is a shame that in mental health awareness week CJ is back in jail for having some cannabis on him. It is my understanding that he smoked this to keep his condition under control but he will now be in prison for at least six months.”

“I had allowed CJ to keep warm by staying at the Working Men’s Club which I am currently renovating”

McBride will be in court in Haverfordwest on May 29.

News

Llangwm: Solicitor jailed for six years for £1m fraud

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE solicitor who overcharged clients by almost £1m has been jailed this week for six years.

Edgar Stephen Thomas, aged 58, charged one client at the rate of £20,000 a week without doing any work at all.

Another was charged at £12,000 a week and went on to lose a total of £100,000.

Thomas, of Stephen’s Green, Deerland Road, Llangwm, admitted 23 offences of fraud and theft, which stopped only when his firm of Steve Thomas and Co was closed down by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority.

Jim Davis, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that Thomas got away with the frauds by deducting monies from the estates of deceased people without telling the beneficiaries.

“He grossly overcharged and then deducted the payments directly from the estates of deceased people,” he said.

“He helped himself without telling them what he was doing.”

The overcharging began in 2005 when he was asked to handle the estate of Richard James Rogers. He charged the estate £41,800 plus VAT but internal documents showed that as the work decreased his bills increased.

Thomas agreed overcharging that estate by £12,000.

Thomas went on to plunder many more accounts.

The most outrageous example, said Mr Davies, related to the estate of Audrey Williams, who died in 2013.

Thomas charged £127,250 plus VAT, sometimes raising–but not posting–two invoices a day. He agreed he had overcharged by £100,000.

Mr Davis said Thomas’ offending did not stop there. His firm was hired by Vaughan’s Radio, an electrical store in Haverfordwest, to handle the purchase of a business in Aberystwyth.

Thomas simply kept for himself £50,000 of the purchase price.

Mr Davis said Thomas had worked for Eaton Evans in Haverfordwest, rising to becoming a partner, before leaving to form his own firm in 2005.

His accounts had to be audited and as a result the SRA were alerted to fears that he was overcharging.

A detailed forensic examination of his accounts was carried out and the fears were confirmed, along with the discovery of a shortfall in his client’s accounts of £144,326.

There was then an administrative error at the SRA and the initial report was not acted upon until June 2014, when a second financial investigation revealed more fraud and he was later struck off.

In February 2015 Thomas was declared bankrupt.

Mr Davis said the SRA had reimbursed those who had lost because of Thomas’ fraudulent behaviour, but there remained the question of costs and whether he could be made to repay any of the money. An investigation under the Proceeds of Crime Act is underway.

Thomas’ barrister, Ian Ibrahim, said his client was now broke and all the money had gone on keeping his business afloat.

“His fall from a high place has been dramatic. His remorse is complete and utterly without qualification.

“He has lost everything and knows that he will go to jail today.”

Judge Keith Thomas said those who worked in the legal profession had to demonstrate the highest level of integrity because the public put trust in them, sometimes at the most stressful times of their life.

“Your victims have described your behaviour as disgusting and despicable.

“You were struck off in 2016 and have had to wait a long time for the process to be complete, but that is partly because you were not willing to admit the extent of your offending,” he added.

Continue Reading

News

Claim a free McDonalds cheeseburger this week

Published

on

TO REMEDY ‘Blue Monday’, McDonalds is giving away a free cheeseburger to everyone this week.

Starting today (Jan 21), the fast food chain is asking customers to install the McDonalds app on their phone and then take it to their nearest restaurant for a free burger.

Blue Monday is said to be the ‘most miserable day’ in the year.

The app is available on both the Google Play store for Android devices, and the App Store for iOS devices.

Once downloaded, register a new account, or log in to your existing account, and go to ‘My Deals’ to claim your free burger.

The offer runs until Friday (Jan 25) and can be claimed any time after 10:30am, when the breakfast menu finishes.

Continue Reading

News

Road re-opened following successful bridge replacement

Published

on

PEMBROKE ROAD in Merlins Bridge, Haverfordwest, has re-opened and train services between Whitland and Milford Haven have resumed as normal, following the successful replacement of Pembroke Road railway bridge this weekend.

Over the weekend, Network Rail teams worked around the clock to demolish and remove the existing railway bridge deck – which carries the South Wales Main Line. Engineers then installed a new, steel structure which includes a concrete collision beam to provide extra resilience, as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan to improve the reliability of the railway.

Rhys Howells, scheme project manager for Network Rail Wales and Borders, said: “We would like to thank residents and rail passengers for bearing with us whilst we replaced Pembroke Road railway bridge.

“The previous bridge deck was nearing the end of its serviceable life, and has now been replaced with a more resilient structure which will help to keep the railway in West Wales running reliably.”

Next month the second part of this £4.25m upgrade project will see engineers replace Milford Road railway bridge.

The A4076 at Milford Road railway bridge on Dredgeman Hill will be closed from 7pm on Friday 15 until 6am on Monday 18 February and a fully signposted diversion route will be in operation.

Residents and local businesses wishing to find out more about the work to Milford Road railway bridge are invited to attend a ‘drop-in’ event on Thursday 31 January from 3pm to 6pm at the Merlins Bridge Welfare Hall, Pembroke Road, SA61 1JW. No appointment is necessary and representatives from Network Rail’s project team will be on hand to provide information and answer any questions.

You can also find out more information about this essential upgrade project here: www.networkrail.co.uk/Merlins-Bridge.

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Llangwm: Solicitor jailed for six years for £1m fraud

A PEMBROKESHIRE solicitor who overcharged clients by almost £1m has been jailed this week for six years. Edgar Stephen Thomas,...

News14 hours ago

Road re-opened following successful bridge replacement

PEMBROKE ROAD in Merlins Bridge, Haverfordwest, has re-opened and train services between Whitland and Milford Haven have resumed as normal,...

News1 day ago

Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own son

UNABLE to accept his relationship was over, a Narberth man sent a semi-naked photograph of his ex to her own...

News2 days ago

Merlins Bridge: Work to replace first of two railway bridges well underway

WORK to replace the pre-war Pembroke Road railway bridge is well underway this weekend. As part of the £4.25m upgrade project, engineers...

News4 days ago

Parents concerned over teenage ‘gangs’ threatening violence

CONCERNED parents of Ysgol Harri Tudur pupils have taken to social media after an incident involving teenagers from Milford Haven...

News4 days ago

Begelly: Driver who crashed into JCB was ‘blinded by sun’

A DRIVER who was blinded by early morning sunlight was involved in a crash with a JCB in Begelly yesterday...

News4 days ago

Dropping a fag butt cost nine people hundreds of pounds

NINE people were summonsed to Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Jan 17) after being charged with dropping cigarette ends. The...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven School: Police called over 120 times in just two years

FIGURES obtained by The Pembrokeshire Herald have highlighted the scale of police involvement in Milford Haven School over the last...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Booms to be removed following oil spill

BOOMS installed earlier this month to contain an oil spill in the Milford Haven waterway will be removed tomorrow (Jan...

News6 days ago

Fishguard: Sex offender caught trying to flee to Ireland

A sex offender from Bow Street near Aberystwyth who tried to move to Ireland without telling anyone has been jailed....

Popular This Week