News
Debt worries led to petrol station theft

Bush Hill Station: Image by Mike Hillen
WHEN a member of staff at Bush Hill Service Station in Pembroke arrived to open the business at 6am on a Monday morning, he did not expect to find the door already unlocked, and the alarm system deactivated, a court heard this week (Nov 4). That, according to the prosecutor, led the management of the premises to discover that £3102.21 was missing from the safe, and to the arrest hours later of staff member Stuart Daniel Batley. Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard how a quick review of petrol station’s sixteen camera CCTV system, which had been unplugged, revealed that Batley had turned up at 4.55am; just over an hour before opening time. It became evident that Batley had switched off the cameras but did not manage to erase the part of the video where he entered the premises. Prosecutor Ellie Morgan said: “There are nine members of staff working at the petrol station. Four have keys to the front door. The defendant is one of them. Owner Darren Briggs had explained to the police that he recognised that it was Batley on the CCTV. Police attended Batley’s home address at around 12pm on the same day, but he was not it. Fifteen minutes later he was seen by officers walking towards his house with his child in a pram.”
I’M NoT GUILTY “Batley admitted to officers there and then that he had stolen the money and thrown it into a hedge. He reportedly said to police: ‘I’m not a thief so I don’t know why I did it. To be honest I was not thinking anything, I really wasn’t thinking anything at all.’ Morgan continued: “ The police went to the location and recovered £1935.00 which was still in three money bags. The defendant was then arrested, strip searched and interviewed. Police were mindful that not all the cash had been recovered and asked for an explanation. During questioning Batley said that he had ‘just remembered’ that he had thrown a balaclava and gloves under a construction container in Clare Walk near his home. There police discovered another £650, but there was still a short fall of £517.21, so there will be a claim for compensation in that amount.”
DEBT WORRIES Duty solicitor Matthew Raggett told the bench that Batley was in a large amount of debt with council tax, phone bills and loans: “His total indebtedness was between £60,000 and £70,000. He was now getting demands from bailiffs and was unable to sleep worrying that they would take everything” he said. Mr Raggett added: “Normally Stuart Batley is a right-minded person. He is now at a loss as to his reasoning behind doing this. When he got a call from his wife, to say that the police were at the house, he asked his wife to wait upstairs. He was too ashamed to let his wife know what had happened. He is, your worships, of previously good character. Clearly this is a gross breach of trust. Loans which were taken out in his name by other family members have added to his debts.” After retiring for a lengthy period of deliberation, the bench decided not to send the case to Crown Court, but asked for probation reports to be prepared before passing sentence.
KNEE JERK REACTION Speaking after a brief adjournment, probation officer, Julie Norman said: “Batley’s father took out loans in his name, and this has only come to light in the last few years. It’s all got a bit too much for him – the theft was a knee jerk reaction. He now is expressing extreme remorse and is frightened that he will receive a custodial sentence. He has a wife and two children, and is now taking medication for his emotional wellbeing. I am going to recommend a supervision order today with a high level community order. Batley is also suffering from a medical condition – the discs are crumbling in his spine. Magistrates deliberated and said: “We are not going to send you to prison on this occasion. You have shown remorse. You are of previous clean character. In the circumstances, we do realise that you have problems that you have to deal with.” Batley was given a community order with 12 months supervision. He will have to undertake 80 hours of unpaid work. He was ordered to pay a victim charge of £60 and compensation of £517.21 to cover the missing money at £5 per week starting in a months’ time.
News
Kurtz says he is “still fighting” as election approaches
Local MS speaks about pressure of politics in major newspaper interview
SAMUEL KURTZ has said he remains determined to retain his Senedd seat despite growing political uncertainty, following a prominent double-page interview published ahead of the Welsh Parliament election in May.
The Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire MS spoke candidly about the pressures of public life, the challenges facing his party, and the personal toll of political scrutiny, while insisting he remains focused on local campaigning.
Mr Kurtz said: “We’re working hard for the win, but the world’s not going to end on May 8 if I don’t get re-elected.”
The comments reflect what political observers describe as a realistic assessment of the electoral environment facing the Conservatives across Wales ahead of polling day on Thursday, May 7.

Pressure of public life
In the Western Mail article, Mr Kurtz discussed the intensity of modern politics, including criticism on social media and the impact on family life. He suggested resilience was essential for anyone working in public office, describing politics as demanding but worthwhile.
The MS also highlighted his rural upbringing and agricultural background, emphasising his connection to farming communities and countryside issues — a key theme likely to feature heavily in his re-election campaign across rural parts of the constituency.
Local record under scrutiny
Mr Kurtz has represented Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire since being elected to the Senedd in 2021.
During that time he has spoken on issues including agriculture policy, rural economic development, and healthcare pressures, often criticising Welsh Government performance on NHS waiting times and public services.
However, with the election approaching, local voters are expected to judge candidates primarily on issues affecting daily life in Pembrokeshire, including GP access, hospital waiting lists, transport infrastructure, employment opportunities, and the cost of living.
Political landscape changing
The upcoming election will take place under new Senedd arrangements, with boundary and voting system reforms expected to alter the political landscape across Wales.
The constituency has historically been competitive, with support shifting between Conservatives, Labour and Plaid Cymru in different elections. Analysts suggest the result in May could be influenced both by national political trends and local campaigning strength.
Campaign period begins
While Mr Kurtz has not yet formally launched his constituency campaign, activity from all parties is expected to increase significantly in the coming weeks.
The Herald will be speaking to voters and candidates across Pembrokeshire as part of its continuing coverage of the Senedd election campaign.
News
Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven
Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters
THIRTY years ago this week, the oil tanker Sea Empress ran aground while entering Milford Haven, triggering a maritime emergency that would ultimately reshape safety procedures in one of the UK’s most important ports.
On the evening of February 15, 1996, the Liberian-registered tanker was inbound to the Texaco refinery carrying approximately 130,000 tonnes of North Sea crude oil when it struck rocks at the entrance to the Haven.
What followed was a complex and dangerous salvage operation carried out in severe weather, repeated groundings, and eventually the release of more than 70,000 tonnes of oil into the sea — making it one of the worst environmental disasters in British waters.


What actually went wrong
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch later concluded that the grounding was primarily caused by human and operational error rather than mechanical failure.
The tanker’s steering gear and propulsion systems were found to be functioning normally.
Investigators identified a sequence of navigational decisions and communication issues between the ship’s master and harbour pilot that led the vessel too close to the rocks while manoeuvring into the channel.
Strong tidal conditions and environmental factors then compounded the situation once the vessel was aground.
In simple terms, the ship was not where it should have been.

A salvage operation under pressure
Initial efforts focused on stabilising the vessel and preventing further oil loss, but worsening weather quickly made operations far more dangerous.
Tugs worked in gale-force winds attempting to pull the tanker clear.
During one critical phase, a tow line parted under extreme tension, allowing the ship to ground again and spill additional oil.
At the same time, fears grew that vapours from the cargo could ignite, prompting evacuations near St Ann’s Head.
Aircraft sprayed dispersants over the spreading slick while emergency services prepared for a potential explosion scenario.
The priority at that stage was to prevent the vessel breaking apart completely.
Eventually, after several days of effort, salvage crews succeeded in refloating the tanker and moving it to a safer position where the remaining cargo could be removed.

Who was blamed
Responsibility for the disaster became the subject of legal and regulatory scrutiny.
The official investigation placed primary fault on navigational decisions during the vessel’s approach rather than any equipment failure.
The ship’s master and pilot both faced criticism over judgement and coordination, though the complex operational environment was also acknowledged.
In subsequent legal proceedings, liability for the spill was largely addressed through civil compensation mechanisms involving the ship owners and insurers under international maritime conventions.
There was no single individual publicly identified as solely responsible for the scale of the environmental damage.
However, the incident exposed weaknesses in escort tug arrangements, navigation procedures and emergency response planning.

Impact on Milford Haven operations
One of the most significant long-term outcomes was the strengthening of escort tug requirements for large vessels entering the Haven.
Navigation procedures were reviewed and risk management protocols improved.
Emergency pollution response capability across the UK was also reassessed.
For the port itself, the disaster became a turning point.
Milford Haven continued operating as a major energy hub, but with tighter safety controls and increased scrutiny.

Environmental and community consequences
Oil contamination spread across miles of coastline, affecting wildlife habitats, fisheries and tourism.
Thousands of volunteers joined military personnel and contractors in an enormous cleanup effort that lasted months.
While environmental recovery has been substantial over the decades, the psychological impact on coastal communities and those directly involved in the response remains part of local memory.

Maritime lessons that endure
Today, the Sea Empress is widely viewed within the maritime industry as a case study in how small navigational errors can escalate into major incidents when combined with environmental pressures.
The disaster reinforced the importance of escort towing, pilotage coordination and emergency planning in high-risk ports.
Thirty years on, the Haven remains one of the UK’s busiest energy ports — operating under safety frameworks shaped directly by the events of February 1996.

Community
Local faces appear on BBC Countryfile marking Sea Empress anniversary
Programme revisits Milford Haven 30 years after oil spill disaster
TWO well-known Pembrokeshire figures appeared on BBC television on Sunday (Feb 15) as Countryfile marked the 30th anniversary of the Sea Empress oil spill.
Phil Thompson, former public relations manager at the Texaco refinery, and Martin Cavaney, a freelance photographer who regularly works with The Herald, were among those featured during the programme, which looked back at the disaster and its lasting impact on the county.
Presenters Datshiane Navanayagam and Hamza Yassin visited Milford Haven to explore how the area has recovered three decades after the tanker ran aground at the entrance to the waterway while carrying crude oil to the refinery.

The grounding of the Sea Empress on February 15, 1996 resulted in tens of thousands of tonnes of oil being spilled into the sea, contaminating large sections of the Pembrokeshire coastline and becoming one of Britain’s worst environmental disasters.
The programme also featured Mike Ryan, Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven, who explained how the incident led to significant improvements in marine safety.
Ryan, who served for around 30 years in the Royal Navy before joining the port, said the disaster remains part of the waterway’s history and helped focus attention on the need for stronger procedures. This ultimately contributed to the development of modern safety systems, including the Port Marine Safety Code introduced in 2000.
Countryfile also examined the environmental recovery that has taken place since the spill, including work by scientists and conservationists to protect wildlife across Pembrokeshire’s coastline.
The Sea Empress disaster prompted one of the largest clean-up operations ever seen in Wales, involving salvage crews, emergency responders, volunteers and environmental organisations.
The anniversary remains a significant milestone for communities around Milford Haven, where memories of oil-covered beaches and wildlife continue to resonate 30 years on.
The programme is available to watch on BBC iPlayer.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business7 days agoComputer Solutions Wales under fire from customers
-
Charity7 days agoWelsh patient voices help shape new UK-wide online kidney forum
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Community7 days agoCalls for traffic calming in Neyland after car hits house
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
News7 days agoFresh concerns over £60m A40 scheme after resurfacing works just months after opening
-
Crime7 days agoWoman admits two shop thefts and banned from town supermarkets








