News
Fewer road casualties recorded in first year of Wales’ 20mph speed limit
THE FIRST year of Wales’ controversial 20mph speed limit saw around 100 fewer people killed or seriously injured on roads previously subject to 30mph restrictions, according to government figures.
New data on road casualties was cautiously welcomed by the Welsh Government, while former transport minister Lee Waters, who led the policy, described it as “the most successful road safety intervention in modern times.”
Statistics indicate that road casualties on 20mph and 30mph roads fell by 26% compared to the previous year, with ten fewer fatalities recorded. The period from July to September 2024 saw the lowest number of casualties on these roads since records began in 1979.
Policy controversy and review
The default speed limit on most urban roads was lowered from 30mph to 20mph on 17 September 2023, with certain exemptions in place. Introduced under former First Minister Mark Drakeford, the policy has been one of the most divisive initiatives since Welsh devolution, with nearly half a million people signing a petition demanding its repeal.
Public backlash prompted a review, and councils are now considering whether some roads should revert to 30mph. The Welsh Government has also commissioned a five-year study assessing the economic costs and benefits of the scheme, with findings expected in 2029.
Cautious optimism over casualty reduction
Government officials have urged caution in directly linking casualty reductions to the 20mph limit, noting that road collisions have been steadily declining over the past decade. The Welsh Government’s chief statistician has stated that at least three years of data are needed for a meaningful analysis of the policy’s long-term impact.
Figures released on Wednesday show that between July and September 2024, 410 road casualties were recorded on 20mph and 30mph roads. These included three fatalities, 90 serious injuries, and 317 minor injuries—a 35% reduction compared to the same period in 2023 and the lowest figures on record.
Over the full 12 months from October 2023 to September 2024, road casualties on these roads were 28% lower than the previous year.
Political reaction
Current Transport Secretary Ken Skates said the trend was “encouraging” and reiterated that the full effects of the policy would take time to assess.
“We know there is a way to go, and we’ve always said it will take a number of years to see the full impact of the policy,” he said. “But to see the figures for this quarter at their lowest level is positive.”
Former minister Lee Waters, now a Labour backbencher, told Herald.Wales: “We can now say with confidence that in its first year, the speed limit reduction represents the most successful road safety intervention in modern times.”
However, the policy has divided opinion both within the Labour Party and among the wider public. First Minister Eluned Morgan has acknowledged that there were issues with its implementation.
The Welsh Conservatives remain critical of the rollout.
Commenting, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Transport and Infrastructure, Peter Fox MS, said: “While we welcome any decrease in road casualties, these figures don’t tell the whole story. Our concern remains the way the 20mph speed limit has been implemented.
“The Welsh Labour government’s default approach has created confusion and frustration for drivers and their current review must address these implementation issues and ensure a more sensible and effective approach.
“We continue to believe a targeted approach, focusing on sensitive areas like schools and hospitals, is the right way to improve road safety without unnecessarily penalising drivers on roads where 20mph is inappropriate. That is why we would scrap Labour’s default 20mph and introduce it where it is needed.”
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Mystery as hundreds of dead dogfish wash up on Saundersfoot beach
Concerns raised after mass stranding stretches hundreds of yards along shoreline
HUNDREDS of dead dogfish have washed up on a Pembrokeshire beach in a strange incident that has left locals and visitors searching for answers.
The fish, believed to be dogfish — a small species belonging to the shark family — were discovered scattered along Saundersfoot Harbour Beach on Thursday (May 21), with one witness estimating the carcasses stretched for around 500 yards.

Holidaymaker Colin Hill, who came across the scene, said the scale of the wash-up was shocking, with large numbers of fish appearing to have washed in at roughly the same time.
While the exact cause remains unclear, early indications suggest the fish may have been discarded at sea before drifting ashore on changing tides.
Natural Resources Wales (NRW), which attended the scene, said there was no sign of a pollution incident.
A spokesperson for NRW told The Herald: “We investigated reports of dead fish at Saundersfoot and found no evidence of a pollution incident.
“The fish appear to be dogfish, and this is likely linked to fishing by-catch being discarded at sea.
“Tides have since cleared the majority from the shoreline and no wider environmental impacts were identified.”
Fishing link suspected
Marine experts say one of the most likely explanations is that the dogfish were unintentionally caught by fishing vessels targeting more commercially valuable species before being thrown back into the sea.
Dogfish, also known as catsharks, are common around the Pembrokeshire coast but are not generally landed commercially in large numbers.
However, local marine conservationist Cliff Benson of Sea Trust Wales said the scale of the incident appeared unusual.
“We quite often see dogfish or catsharks seemingly intent on suicide and beaching themselves, though nobody seems to know why,” he said.
“However, this is on a different scale and looks like they might have been caught by some fishing boat that was hoping to catch more commercial species and thrown overboard dead.”
He added that pollution was another possible explanation, although less likely if only one species had been affected.
Not the first time
Pembrokeshire has seen smaller incidents involving dead dogfish washing ashore before, but similar mass strandings elsewhere in Wales have previously been linked to fishing activity.
In one case at Burry Port in 2019, fisheries experts suggested dead dogfish found on the shoreline had likely been dumped following the clearing of fishing nets. In Barry in 2021, hundreds more washed up, some still attached to hooks and tackle.
For now, the mystery remains unresolved — although NRW believes discarded fishing by-catch is the most likely explanation.
Caption:
Hundreds of dead dogfish washed up on Saundersfoot Harbour Beach on Thursday (Pic: Colin Hill).
Community
RNLI urges beachgoers to stay safe as warm weather hits Wales
Lifesaving charity warns of cold water shock risk despite rising temperatures
THE RNLI is urging people planning trips to the coast over the Bank Holiday weekend to choose lifeguarded beaches and follow essential water safety advice as warm weather draws crowds to the seaside.
With temperatures expected to rise across Wales, the lifesaving charity has warned that, although conditions may appear ideal, the sea remains dangerously cold and poses a serious risk of cold water shock.
The RNLI says the safest place to swim is between the red and yellow flags at lifeguarded beaches.
In Pembrokeshire, RNLI lifeguards will be on patrol at Whitesands, Newgale Central and Tenby South Beach throughout the May half-term, operating daily between 10:00am and 6:00pm.
Other lifeguarded beaches across Wales include Langland, Caswell, Aberavon, Pembrey, Three Cliffs and Port Eynon in Swansea; Barry Island, Coney Beach, Trecco Bay and Rest Bay in Bridgend; Llangrannog and Borth in Ceredigion; and Rhyl and Prestatyn in Denbighshire.
The RNLI is encouraging anyone unable to visit a lifeguarded beach to check local conditions before setting off, including tide times, weather forecasts and any safety signage.
Chris Cousins, the RNLI’s Regional Water Safety Lead, said: “There will likely be a huge number of people visiting the coast this weekend and we want everyone to remember Float to Live advice, which could save lives.
“Instinctively, most people who find themselves struggling in the water will begin to gasp, panic and try to swim or thrash about.
“We’re urging people to ignore this instinct and remember to float. Tilt your head back with your ears submerged, relax and try to breathe normally, and move your hands and legs to help you stay afloat if needed.”
He added that practising floating in a supervised setting, such as a swimming pool, could help prepare people in case they find themselves in difficulty.
‘Phone, Float, Throw’
The RNLI is also reminding the public to remember the “Phone, Float, Throw” guidance if they see someone struggling in the water.
People are advised to call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard, encourage the casualty to float on their back, and throw something buoyant to them, such as a life ring.
The charity recently relaunched its “Float to Live” campaign, citing new research suggesting younger adults, particularly Generation Z, may underestimate the dangers posed by the coast.
According to the RNLI, there were 193 accidental drowning deaths in the UK in 2024, with men accounting for 84 per cent of fatalities. Men aged between 20 and 29 represented the highest risk group.
The RNLI’s beach lifeguard service is marking its 25th anniversary this year.
For more information on staying safe at the coast, visit the RNLI’s Float to Live campaign.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge








