Crime
Police issue warning following protests over baby abuse case
POLICE have issued a warning after two nights of protests outside a property in Burton, where demonstrators gathered in response to a court decision granting bail to a man accused of serious child abuse offences.
Officers were called to the address at around 7:00pm on Tuesday (Jan 28) following reports of a crowd forming outside the property. A second gathering took place the following night (Jan 29), prompting further police presence.
During the second protest, officers arrested two men—one aged 47 on suspicion of affray and another aged 58 on suspicion of aggravated trespass. Both have since been released on bail with conditions while investigations continue.
Police confirmed that body-worn footage from both incidents is being reviewed, warning that any individuals found to have committed offences will face further action.
A spokesperson for the force said: “We will always seek to facilitate peaceful protest while balancing it with the rights of others, keeping the public safe, and preventing crime and disorder.
“We encourage anyone organising a protest to contact us so we can work together to ensure any demonstrations are conducted safely and with respect for the wider community.”
The demonstrations follow public outrage over the case of Christopher Phillips, 33, who has been charged with the sexual penetration of a seven-week-old baby, as well as assault, ill-treatment, neglect, and abandonment causing serious physical harm. His co-accused, Bryony O’Rourke, faces related charges of allowing a child to suffer serious harm.
On Friday (Jan 25), Phillips was re-granted bail, sparking fury among locals, with around 40 people gathering outside the Burton property on Tuesday to voice their anger. The Herald understands that police at the scene informed protesters that Phillips was not present at the address.
One demonstrator told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “We’re here for the baby. It’s not right that people accused of such horrific crimes are allowed to walk free in the community.”
While initial reports described the protest as peaceful, police have now intervened following the second night of demonstrations, urging the public to express their concerns through legal means and avoid any actions that could lead to criminal charges.
The investigation into the case is ongoing.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge





