Community
Fishguard prepares for huge New Year’s Eve street party as thousands expected
ONE of Pembrokeshire’s biggest New Year celebrations is set to return as Fishguard prepares to welcome thousands of revellers into the town centre to see in 2026.
Up to 4,000 people are expected to gather in Market Square on New Year’s Eve for the annual Fishguard Street Party, an event that has grown from a small community celebration into one of the most popular New Year destinations in Wales.
First launched to mark the millennium, the event has now been running for twenty-six years and regularly attracts visitors from across the county and beyond.

Live music and midnight fireworks
The evening celebrations will begin at 8:00pm, with local favourites RocCana opening the night. The band will perform a mix of well-known hits from the 1960s onwards, alongside Welsh and Irish songs.
They will be followed by headline act Slipped Disco, a nine-piece Cardiff band known for their high-energy performances, horn section, percussion and disco-funk sound. The band will play through to midnight, before compere Allan Cresswell leads the countdown to the New Year.
As the clock strikes midnight, a fireworks display will light up the sky above Market Square, sponsored by the Royal Oak, Fishguard.

Family activities earlier in the day
Earlier in the day, the street party committee is also laying on entertainment for younger families.
Between 1:00pm and 4:00pm, a dedicated Kids’ Zone will offer face painting, balloon modelling, magic and circus skills workshops with performers Will Hughes and Emma Williams. The area is open to children aged three to 12, who must be accompanied by an adult.
Entry costs £3, or is free with the purchase of a New Year’s Eve Street Party wristband.
Road closures and wristband entry
Roads surrounding Market Square will close from 5:30pm. From 6:30pm onwards, pedestrian access to the square will be restricted to wristband holders only.
Food and drink will be available throughout the evening from local businesses including the Royal Oak, the Farmers Arms, Cove Corner and Fishguard Fish and Chips.
Wristbands cost £6 and are available from a number of local outlets, including Cresswell’s Café, Fishguard and Goodwick Post Offices, West Street Sweets, the Gourmet Pig, Cove Corner, the Royal Oak and the Farmers Arms.
Committee members will also be selling wristbands at Cresswell’s Café from 9:00am to 12:00pm on Monday, December 29.

Fundraising and volunteers
Raffle tickets will also be on sale to raise funds for this year’s chosen charity, the DPJ Foundation. Prizes include a three-night geodome glamping stay at Tregroes, a two-night bed and breakfast stay at the Ivy Bridge Hotel, and a range of other prizes. Tickets cost £1 each.
The street party’s 200 Club will also be open for new members. The annual £10 membership gives one lucky entrant the chance to win up to £1,000 on New Year’s Eve, with proceeds split evenly between the winner and the street party.
Organisers are also appealing for volunteers to help with this year’s event and with planning for future celebrations. Anyone interested is encouraged to contact the Fishguard New Year’s Eve Street Party via Facebook or leave their details at Cresswell’s Café.
Committee co-chair Jo Thompson said the event could not continue without local support.
“We want to thank the many local businesses who have supported us, including GD Harries, Thomas Carroll Insurance, the Ivy Bridge Hotel and the Royal Oak,” she said.
“We are hugely grateful to the local community for continuing to get behind the street party and helping us keep it going year after year.”

Community
Local lettings policy helps sustain rural communities and Welsh language
NEW affordable housing developments in North Pembrokeshire are helping local people remain in their communities while supporting rural schools and the Welsh language.
Since 2022, West Wales Housing Association has completed new social housing schemes at Parc Brynach in Dinas Cross and Golwg y Llan in Eglwyswrw.
A further development, Parc Nantwen in Dinas Cross, is nearing completion, with new tenants expected to move in within weeks.
The homes have been welcomed locally in an area where affordability remains a significant challenge for many residents.
West Wales Housing Association introduced a local lettings policy giving priority to applicants with strong links to Eglwyswrw and Dinas Cross.
For the Parc Nantwen development, applicants from the Dinas, Newport and Bro Gwaun communities were prioritised.
The approach has meant a number of local people have been able to secure homes who may otherwise have lost out to applicants with weaker links to the area.
The policy is also seen as important in communities where the Welsh language remains strong. Eglwyswrw and Dinas are served by Welsh-medium primary education at Ysgol Eglwyswrw and Ysgol Bro Ingli in Newport.
The impact is already being felt. Following the completion of Parc Brynach, pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli rose from 86 to more than 100.
Newport and Dinas county councillor Huw Murphy praised West Wales Housing Association for working closely with Dinas Community Council on the lettings policy.

Cllr Murphy said: “The recent lettings policy developed by WWHA, following close liaison with Dinas Community Council, has worked well in enabling houses to be allocated to local people with strong links to their community, where in the past they may have lost out to applicants with more tenuous connections.
“The benefit of a robust local lettings policy has resulted in increased pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli, while also placing a strong emphasis on protecting the Welsh language, which is very much welcomed.
“I hope that any future affordable housing developments will mirror the recent lettings policy implemented in Dinas Cross and serve as a template elsewhere in Pembrokeshire.”
Supporters say the developments are helping young people and families stay in rural Pembrokeshire, supporting village schools and safeguarding the social and linguistic fabric of North Pembrokeshire’s communities at a time when many rural areas face an ageing population.
Community
Dog rescued after multi-agency response in Pembroke Dock
AN ALSATIAN dog was rescued in Pembroke Dock after falling down an embankment and becoming trapped near the water’s edge.
Fire crews from Pembroke Dock and Haverfordwest were called to the incident near Cleddau Bridge Business Park at 12:41am on Thursday (May 21), following reports that the dog, named Lunar, was unable to climb back to safety.
The rescue involved a multi-agency response, with Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service working alongside HM Coastguard, the RNLI and Drone Search and Rescue teams.
Lunar was located and safely recovered by the RNLI boat team before being brought back to dry land and reunited with her grateful owners.
A photo released after the rescue shows Lunar, her owners, and members of the teams involved.
Community
New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony
Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience
MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel Llanion has been formally named and dedicated during a ceremony at Mackerel Quay.
The event marked a major milestone for the Port of Milford Haven, which says the vessel reinforces its commitment to safe, efficient and resilient marine operations on the Waterway.
The ceremony brought together civic dignitaries, port representatives, local pupils and members of the maritime community.
Guests included Chaplain Revd Jonathan Brewer, Chaplain Revd Rufus Noy, His Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Dyfed Miss Sara Edwards, Andrew Phillips, High Sheriff of Dyfed, and representatives from the Port’s marine team.
Darcey Trueman, Head Prefect at Milford Haven School, formally named the vessel during the ceremony.
She declared: “I name this pilot launch Llanion. May God bless her and all who sail in her.”
Miss Sara Edwards carried out the bottle ceremony, while the dedication and blessing were led by Revd Jonathan Brewer and Revd Rufus Noy.
The service included performances by Milford Haven School Choir, readings from the Book of Psalms, Psalm 23: The Pilots Version, the Lord’s Prayer, and the British and Welsh national anthems.
Step-change in capability
Mike Ryan, Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven, said Llanion represented a major investment in pilotage resilience and operational safety.
He said: “This vessel represents a significant investment in both our absolute commitments to pilotage service resilience and operational safety.
“She sits at the heart of modern pilot boat evolution — combining speed, manoeuvrability and the latest-generation Camarc hull design.
“For our terminal customers, this means confidence that we can continue to respond quickly to their requirements and deliver a safe, efficient and dependable year-round pilotage service.
“Llanion is not just a new vessel, she’s a step-change in capability for the Port.
“She represents the standards we set for ourselves, our commitment to safety, to professionalism, and to doing the job properly, every single time.
“I look forward to seeing Llanion in action and to the role she will play in supporting the safe movement of vessels on the Milford Haven Waterway for many years to come.”
Energy port role
Rebecca Ahern, Head of Commercial and Legal at Dragon LNG and Dragon Energy, one of the Port’s key terminal customers, said the investment strengthened confidence in Milford Haven’s marine operations.
She said: “The Milford Haven Waterway plays a critical role in the UK’s energy system, and safe, dependable marine operations are fundamental to that role.
“This latest investment by the Port further strengthens operational reliability for all terminal users, reinforcing confidence in safe and efficient year-round vessel movements delivered on time and with consistency.
“It supports the long-term capability of the energy cluster here and reflects the consistently high standards of pilotage and marine service on the Waterway.”
Recognising crews
The ceremony also recognised the dedication and expertise of the Port’s launch crews and pilots, whose work underpins the safe movement of vessels in and out of Milford Haven.
The Port said the new vessel would strengthen operational resilience and support its long-term strategic objectives.
The Port of Milford Haven is the UK’s top energy port and Wales’ busiest port, handling around 20 per cent of Britain’s seaborne trade in oil and gas. It supports more than 4,000 jobs and operates as a trust port, with profits retained within the business to maintain and improve navigation, harbour services and port facilities.
Photo caption:
Naming party: Jamie Furlong, Pilot; Mike Ryan, Harbourmaster; Port Chaplain Revd Jonathan Brewer; His Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Dyfed Miss Sara Edwards; Darcey Trueman, Milford Haven School Prefect; Andrew Phillips, High Sheriff of Dyfed; Chris Tambling-Baker, Coxswain; Revd Rufus Noy; and Tom Sawyer, Chief Executive of the Port of Milford Haven, aboard Llanion (Pic: Port of Milford Haven).



-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community5 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime1 day agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime1 day agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime1 day agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News1 day agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Health5 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire







