Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Wales wheelchair rugby league squad faces World Cup funding fight

Published

on

Players could miss Celtic Cup and Australia campaign without urgent backing

THE WALES RUGBY LEAGUE Wheelchair Squad is on the brink of a historic World Cup campaign — but without urgent financial backing, some of the nation’s top athletes could miss out simply because they cannot afford to take part.

The squad needs to raise thousands of pounds to ensure every selected player can compete, starting with the Celtic Cup in Edinburgh this May — their only competitive preparation before the World Cup in Wollongong, Australia, this autumn.

At present, players and staff are being asked to self-fund their places at a cost of around £250 each.

Team manager Steve Abel has already seen talented athletes forced to withdraw in the past because of the financial burden.

He said: “It’s incredibly tough to ask athletes to pay to represent their country.

“They already give everything — their time, energy and commitment — and then face the added burden of funding their own travel and accommodation. It shouldn’t be this way. I’m determined it won’t happen again.”

Steve, who is leading Wales at a World Cup for the first time, previously officiated at four World Cups and understands better than most what it takes to compete at the highest level — and what is at stake if Wales arrive underprepared.

The Celtic Cup, featuring Wales, Ireland and Scotland, is not simply a warm-up tournament. It is the squad’s only chance to build momentum, test combinations and head to Australia ready to compete.

Despite the financial pressure, belief inside the camp remains high.

Only 12 players will make the trip to Australia, and the squad — drawn from leading clubs including North Wales Crusaders, Leeds Rhinos, South Wales Jets, Midlands Hurricanes, Sheffield Eagles and Wigan Warriors — is determined to show Wales belongs among the world’s best.

Blending pace, power, resilience and experience, the team believes it can make a real impact on the international stage.

Steve added: “We’re not going to Australia just to take part.

“We’ve got a hugely talented squad, experienced coaches and an incredible group of volunteers — we’re a family.

“We genuinely believe we can compete with the world’s best and do Wales proud.”

Wheelchair rugby league is one of the fastest-growing formats in world sport, open to men and women, boys and girls, and athletes from all backgrounds. Wales has been involved since the sport’s earliest international days.

Built on passion, physicality and teamwork, it reflects the very best of Welsh pride and identity.

But with no central government funding and limited resources available to sporting bodies, the squad is relying on support from the wider public to make the dream possible.

Dawn Roberts-McCabe, volunteer for fundraising and sponsorship, said: “I’m proud to give my time to help ensure every prospective athlete can focus on training to become the best version of themselves, rather than worrying about financial barriers.

“It would break my heart if a talented player had to let their World Cup dream go because they had to choose between playing and paying.”

Businesses, sponsors and supporters across Wales are now being urged to step forward. Whether through sponsorship, donations or simply spreading the word, every contribution brings the squad one step closer to the World Cup stage — and to a moment that could inspire a generation.

To support the team or discuss sponsorship opportunities, email Dawn Roberts-McCabe at [email protected]
.

 

Sport

Thousands of cyclists arrive in Tenby after 100-mile Carten challenge

Published

on

THOUSANDS of cyclists rolled into Tenby today after completing one of Wales’ best-known charity cycling challenges.

The annual Carten100 ride took place on Saturday (May 9), with riders setting off from Cardiff City Hall before making the long journey west to Pembrokeshire.

The event, now in its 22nd year, is built around a simple idea: Cardiff to Tenby — 100 miles, on a bike, in a day.

Organisers stress that it is not a race, but a personal challenge designed to get people cycling, bring riders together and raise money for good causes.

This year’s ride was fully booked, with entries limited to 2,400 and an estimated field of around 2,200 cyclists taking part.

Riders left Cardiff from 7:30am, travelling through South Wales on a mix of roads and cycle paths before crossing into Pembrokeshire for the final stretch into Tenby.

The official route included support and refreshment stops at Baglan, Burry Port, Carmarthen and Tavernspite, before riders made their way through Stepaside and on towards the finish.

There was a strong welcome in Tenby as family members, friends and supporters gathered to cheer cyclists home after more than 100 miles in the saddle.

Carten100 has grown from a small ride involving just four cyclists in 2004 into a major annual event on the Welsh cycling calendar.

Since it began, the challenge has helped raise more than £1.75m for Welsh charities and good causes.

Organisers say the aim remains the same: to encourage people of all ages and abilities to get back on their bikes, take on a demanding but achievable challenge, and support charity at the same time.

The 2026 ride covered around 107 miles, with organisers reminding participants that the event takes place on open roads and that cyclists must follow the Highway Code throughout.

Riders were supported along the route by feed stations, event volunteers, support vehicles, mechanical help and first aid cover.

For many, the arrival in Tenby marked the end of months of training and fundraising.

The sight of cyclists streaming into the town has become a familiar early-summer scene, bringing a colourful boost to Tenby and celebrating one of Wales’ most popular mass-participation cycling events.

Photo caption:

Carten100 arrives in Tenby: Riders pictured in the town after completing the Cardiff-to-Tenby challenge on Saturday (Pic: Malcolm Richards).

 

Continue Reading

Sport

Tony Pennock and Dan Hawkins nominated for April awards

Published

on

HAVERFORDWEST COUNTY manager Tony Pennock and forward Dan Hawkins have been nominated for the JD Cymru Premier’s April awards following an impressive month for the Bluebirds.

Pennock has been shortlisted for Manager of the Month, while Hawkins is in contention for Player of the Month after helping County finish the regular season strongly and secure another place in the European play-offs.

The Bluebirds enjoyed a perfect end to the league campaign in April, winning all three of their matches, including two away from home.

The month began with a hard-fought 1-0 victory at JD Welsh Cup runners-up Flint Town United. Ben Ahmun’s penalty on the stroke of half-time proved enough to secure all three points in north Wales and keep Haverfordwest firmly on course for the play-offs.

Fifteen days later, County knew that a draw or victory against Llanelli Town at the Ogi Bridge Meadow would be enough to confirm their place. They did it in style, with Hawkins scoring the first senior hat-trick of his career in a 6-0 win in front of more than 800 spectators.

Having secured a European play-off place for the third time in four seasons, the Bluebirds then travelled to Jenner Park to face Barry Town United.

County fell behind after just three minutes, but battled back strongly. Greg Walters, assisted by Hawkins, levelled the tie 20 minutes from time before Haverfordwest went on to win 3-1 on penalties.

Supporters can vote for Pennock and Hawkins through the JD Cymru Premier’s official awards link.

Dan Hawkins was sponsored for the 2025-26 season by That Football Drawing.

 

Continue Reading

News

Ysgol Bro Teifi celebrates national championship rugby success

Published

on

UNDER-18 SIDE LIFTS WRU PLATE AFTER HARD-FOUGHT FINAL AT RODNEY PARADE

YSGOL BRO TEIFI’S under-18 rugby team are celebrating national success after winning the WRU Schools and Colleges Plate Final at Rodney Parade.

The Ceredigion side travelled to Newport to face Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth in a fast, physical and closely contested final.

Bro Teifi made a strong start, with tries from Elis Evans, Llew Thomas and Jack Brown giving them an early advantage. Dafydd Nichols-Evans added the extras from the kicking tee as the team went into half-time 19-14 ahead.

The second half proved even tighter, with Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth applying sustained pressure and forcing Bro Teifi to defend with discipline and determination.

A late try gave Bro Teifi breathing space before Nichols-Evans held his nerve in the closing stages, landing a crucial penalty to seal a 27-19 victory.

The school said the win reflected the hard work, commitment and talent of the players, as well as the support of staff, parents and fans throughout the season.

Headteacher Gareth Evans said: “This game is the culmination of a tough season for the boys as they beat much bigger schools on the way to the final.

“It also builds on the school’s reputation in sport, with numerous successes this year across a range of sports and age groups.

“I would like to thank all the school staff for their tireless work in ensuring these experiences for our pupils, and the parents for their support.”

Photo caption: Plate winners: Ysgol Bro Teifi’s under-18 rugby team celebrate their national success at Rodney Parade.

 

Continue Reading

News20 hours ago

Plaid Cymru celebrates historic victory as Rhun ap Iorwerth arrives at Cardiff Bay

CROWDS gathered outside the Senedd as Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth arrived in Cardiff Bay following his party’s historic...

Crime21 hours ago

Police standoff ends after four-hour incident in Pembroke Dock

ELIZABETH COURT SCENE STOOD DOWN AFTER DOMESTIC INCIDENT A FOUR-HOUR police standoff in Pembroke Dock has ended with a 21-year-old...

Crime1 day ago

Teen denies attempted murder of Milford Haven teacher

TEENAGER REMANDED AHEAD OF JULY TRIAL A 15-YEAR-old boy has denied attempting to murder a teacher during a stabbing incident...

News2 days ago

Catastrophe for Labour as Plaid and Reform reshape Welsh politics

ELUNED MORGAN LOSES SEAT AS OLD CERTAINTIES ARE SWEPT AWAY THE VOTERS of Wales have delivered one of the most...

News2 days ago

Labour wiped out in Ceredigion Penfro as Plaid tops poll and First Minister loses seat

Shock result sends political shockwaves across Wales as Reform also surges in historic Senedd count LABOUR suffered one of the...

News2 days ago

Labour deputy says party ‘will not form next Welsh Government’

LABOUR FACES HISTORIC DEFEAT AS COUNTING CONTINUES ACROSS WALES LABOUR’S Deputy Leader in Wales has effectively conceded the Senedd election,...

News2 days ago

Counts underway in historic Senedd election

Wales waits for results as first election under new voting system reaches count stage COUNTING is underway across Wales today...

Charity3 days ago

Chief’s Tour honours fallen officers with 75-mile Pembrokeshire ride

Dyfed-Powys Police team raises thousands for bereaved police families charity A TEAM of officers and staff from Dyfed-Powys Police cycled...

Crime3 days ago

Racial abuse suspect barricaded himself inside Johnston lodge

ARMED police were called to a supported accommodation building in Johnston after a man allegedly barricaded himself inside a room...

Crime3 days ago

Milford Haven woman denies causing suffering to cat

Jury hears evidence over alleged failure to seek treatment for tumour A MILFORD HAVEN woman has denied causing unnecessary suffering...

Popular This Week