Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Local MP rejects Bishops’ criticism of Government response to migrant crisis

Published

on

Stephen Crabb MPA PEMBROKESHIRE MP has hit back at bishops criticising the Government’s response to the migrant crisis arguing the UK took action years before church leaders took “a campaigning interest”.

Stephen Crabb, Secretary of State for Wales and Conservative MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency said on Sky News that the approach being taken by the Conservative administration was “one of compassion” and dismissed criticism by the Church of England (CofE) as nothing new.

Mr Crabb defended the Government’s policy after more than 80 CofE bishops signed a letter branding the response as “increasingly inadequate” and said the UK should take at least 50,000 refugees.

They urged the Prime Minister to make a “meaningful and substantial response to the scale of human suffering we see daily”.

Amid pressure from public opinion to strengthen the UK’s response to the migrant crisis on Europe’s borders, the Government pledged to take in 20,000 Syrian refugees over the next five years.

However, the bishops said in the letter: “We believe such is this country’s great tradition of sanctuary and generosity of spirit that we could feasibly resettle at least 10,000 people a year for the next two years, rising to a minimum of 50,000 in total over the five-year period you foresaw in your announcement.”

The Bishop of Guildford, the Rt Revd Andrew Watson, told Sky News: “I think given the extraordinary crisis there is across Europe and the Middle East at this point, with millions of people displaced from their homes, the question is ‘what is an adequate response?’

“Clearly you do have to have a maximum somewhere. We are a crowded island, I am aware of that.

“But we feel 20,000 is about the centre court at Wimbledon. That sort of amount is just not enough given the scale of the crisis.

“Especially if the war in Syria continues for five years or more, which there is every indication it may well.”

But speaking on Sky News’ Murnaghan programme, Mr Crabb said: “Four years ago, we were out there in Syria as a government, spending taxpayers’ money investing in camps, providing clean water, shelter, security, education for those refugees fleeing war.

“Our response has been one of compassion.

“We have been at the coalface there for the last four years long before the bishops started taking a campaigning interest in this issue.”

And he defended the Government’s position to only take people from the refugee camps and not those who had already arrived in Europe.

Mr Crabb continued: “As a government we do not want to feed that movement, that trafficking of people, which is why we said we will take 20,000, we will resettle them in the UK but we will take them directly from the camps.”

He added: “I do think we hold our heads up high. Our response is one of compassion but it’s also one of actually thinking things through in terms of the long-term interests for those people, those families but also for this country.”

 

Continue Reading
6 Comments

6 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Judith Rhead murder investigation – Detectives given more time to question suspect

Published

on

POLICE have been given more time to question a 43-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder.

The man has been in police custody since Saturday night, after being arrested over the death 68-year-old Judith Rhead.

She was found in a residential property in Market Street.

The police now have until Thursday afternoon (Feb 25) to question the suspect.

Continue Reading

News

All people eligible for vaccination will get theirs by end of July

Published

on

PEOPLE eligible for the coronavirus vaccine will get theirs by the end of July, the Health Minister has said.

Wales achieved its target of getting everyone in the first four priority groups vaccinated by the middle of February and is now working on offering the vaccine to those in groups 5 to 9.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has set out that people with severe or profound learning disabilities or with a mental illness will be among priority group 6.

Mr Gething said that they were would make sure that no one is left behind.

The latest figures from Public Health Wales show that 878,506 people had received their first dose of the vaccine.

59,279 people have received both doses of the vaccine.

Vaughan Gething, Minister for Health and Social Services, said: “We have achieved our first milestone of offering everyone in the first four priority groups vaccination by mid-February.

“We are now making progress in achieving our next milestone, which is to offer the vaccine to all individuals in priority groups 5 to 9.

“The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has set out that people with a severe/profound learning disability and individuals with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, or any mental illness that causes severe functional impairment, should be invited for vaccination as part of priority group 6.

“There are challenges with identifying individuals within these groups, particularly given the JCVI language is not generally in use in Wales, and we are working hard to make sure that no one is left behind. Today we have published guidance on identifying eligible individuals in these groups and on how to support them to take up their vaccine offers.

“The JCVI has also said that some of our invaluable unpaid carers should be included in priority group 6.

“Today we have also published guidance on identifying those unpaid carers eligible for vaccine prioritisation and the process around this. I am grateful to the national carers’ organisations for their support with this work.”

Continue Reading

News

Council want your help to keep Pembrokeshire active

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL is asking residents to give their views on local walking and cycling routes.

The Council aims to make journeys on foot and by bicycle easier, safer and more enjoyable for everyone.

In order to design a network that works for all, the Council would like to get the views of as many people as possible, particularly those who don’t currently walk or cycle. This will help ensure the routes built for walking and cycling work for the whole community.

The consultation focuses on the main towns and villages in Pembrokeshire which have been selected by Welsh Government as the designated localities in the County. These are:

  • Fishguard & Goodwick
  • Haverfordwest
  • Johnston
  • Milford Haven
  • Neyland
  • Pembroke Dock
  • Pembroke
  • Tenby
  • Saundersfoot
  • Narberth

Pembrokeshire Council is currently undertaking an Active Travel Network Map consultation (ATNM) which will run in 3 stages

Consultation 1: Residents can take part in the consultation exercise online, hosted by Commonplace at https://Pembrokeshire.commonplace.is/

The interactive map allows participants to flag issues, problems and successes on a plan of the active travel settlement and add comments. Such points could be for example, a pavement that is too narrow or a newly built cycle route that is regarded as a success.

The first stage of the consultation will close on 31 st March 2021.

Consultation 2: Following this, the second step of the consultation will see the Council share the initial findings and ask people what they think of the plans
proposed as a result of the feedback received.

Consultation 3: The third stage of the consultation will give members of the public a final say on the Active Travel Network Maps before they are sent to Welsh Government for approval. These maps will have been produced taking into account public feedback and ideas from consultations 1 and 2.

By upgrading facilities and creating new walking and cycling routes, the Council plans to make Active Travel the popular choice for local journeys, to increase the attractiveness of local communities as places to live and work, improve health and well-being, and help tackle air pollution.

Cllr Phil Baker, Pembrokeshire Council’s Cabinet Member for Infrastructure, said: “This consultation exercise will produce an Active Travel Network Map which will be a plan of routes the Council will use to inform where improvements to walking and cycling should be made in Pembrokeshire.

“It will help to make journeys on foot or by bicycle easier and safer for everyone, particularly those who don’t currently walk or cycle often and people who use mobility aids and will build on the increased level of walking and cycling that we have seen over the last 12 months during the pandemic.”

See more information on Active Travel at: https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/fitness-and-well-being/active-travel

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Judith Rhead murder investigation – Detectives given more time to question suspect

POLICE have been given more time to question a 43-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder. The man has been...

News2 days ago

Police investigate alleged rape of a child

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of raping a child in the south...

News2 days ago

Police confirm murder investigation underway following Judith Rhead’s death

THE POLICE have confirmed that the death of a woman, who died in Pembroke Dock on Saturday, is being treated...

News3 days ago

Deaths could be linked to salmonella in SFC chicken’s boneless buckets

THE FOOD STANDARDS AGENCY has issued an urgent warning about a chicken product sold in food stores across Wales. The...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock death being treated as suspicious, police confirm

POLICE  in Pembroke Dock are continuing to investigate the death of a woman in Market Street. A spokesman from Dyfed-Powys...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police forensics team investigating death of woman in Market Street

THERE is a police presence in Pembroke Dock this evening as police, and forensics officers investigate the sudden death of...

News5 days ago

Stricken LPG tanker off Pembrokeshire coast rescued by super-tug ‘Bever’

AN LPG tanker which lost her engines and was adrift off the coast of Pembrokeshire is now under tow thanks...

News5 days ago

LPG tanker awaiting emergency rescue tug off the coast of Pembrokeshire

A LIBERIAN registered LPG tanker is awaiting rescue off the Pembrokeshire coast after developing engine trouble, The Herald can confirm....

News6 days ago

At least three more weeks of lockdown, First Minister confirms

FIRST MINISTER Mark Drakeford said he hopes the country has entered the last three weeks of the “stay-at-home” requirement. Mr...

News6 days ago

Urgent appeal over missing Milford Haven man

POLICE in Milford Haven are appealing for information to help find missing man Richard Golding. The 36-year-old was last seen...

Popular This Week