Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Awards for Fishguard coaches

Published

on

Pictured are Mathew (centre) with Ben (left) and Zac.

THREE coaches from Fishguard Sports Girls FC have won their respective categories at the Football Association of Wales Community Football Awards (West Region).

Mathew Lamb won Coach of the Year, and Ben Leahy and Zac Davies – both Sixth Form pupils at Ysgol Bro Gwaun – won the Young Volunteer Category.

All three were successful after fighting off competition from over 140 nominees from across West Wales.

The trio coached the Fishguard Girls teams to an unprecedented league treble last season with all three teams winning their respective age groups.

Mathew, Ben and Zac will now go on to the national finals where the judging panel includes Wales football manager, Chris Coleman.

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. law enforcement radio codes

    January 5, 2026 at 10:00 pm

    Thank you for addressing this topic. It’s very relevant to me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Local Government

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Published

on

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil

A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding public office for three years after an Adjudication Panel for Wales tribunal found he breached multiple provisions of the authority’s Code of Conduct.

Brian Rothero, who resigned from Neyland Town Council in 2025 while the investigation was ongoing, was disqualified following a remote hearing held on Wednesday (Feb 12).

The panel ruled unanimously that Mr Rothero had failed to show respect and consideration towards the council’s clerk and fellow councillors, had engaged in behaviour amounting to bullying or harassment, and had acted in a way that could bring his office or the authority into disrepute.

The sanction prevents him from acting as a councillor in any relevant authority in Wales until early 2029.

The case arose from four complaints referred by the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales between September 2023 and March 2024.

Tribunal findings

According to the Notice of Decision, the panel found breaches of:

  • Paragraph 4(b) — failure to show respect and consideration
  • Paragraph 4(c) — bullying or harassment
  • Paragraph 6(1)(a) — bringing the office into disrepute
  • Paragraph 6(1)(d) — making vexatious or inappropriate complaints

The tribunal concluded Mr Rothero had communicated with the council clerk and colleagues in a manner inconsistent with the standards expected of elected members.

The hearing was conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams and proceeded largely on written submissions rather than oral witness evidence.

The panel was chaired by Judge Meleri Tudur, sitting with members Ms S Hurds and Mrs S McRobie.

Mr Rothero has the right to seek permission to appeal to the High Court, although no appeal has yet been confirmed.

Rothero disputes findings

Speaking to The Pembrokeshire Herald on Monday (Feb 16), Mr Rothero rejected the bullying allegations and said his actions consisted of emails raising concerns about council administration.

“I wasn’t bullying anyone — I was trying to get answers and get things done,” he said.

He argued that frustration arose because of what he described as repeated non-responses to issues he raised.

Mr Rothero also questioned the fairness of the process, noting that his hearing took place on papers without witnesses, unlike the recent two-day in-person tribunal involving former councillor David Devauden.

Procedural differences between the two cases may form part of any future appeal.

Long-running tensions

The ruling is the latest development in years of conflict within Neyland Town Council, which has generated an unusually high number of standards complaints compared with other community councils in Pembrokeshire.

Mr Rothero previously faced a standards investigation relating to the Neyland Community Hub project nearly a decade ago, resulting in a censure in 2018.

More recent disputes have centred on relationships between councillors and the town clerk, with leaked correspondence revealing frustrations on multiple sides over workload, communication and expectations.

The Herald understands that interpersonal tensions within the authority have contributed to resignations and ongoing governance difficulties.

Perception of influence

Observers have also noted that official council communications are frequently issued under a collective sign-off placing the clerk’s name before the mayor and councillors — a format that has contributed to perceptions among some members and residents about where day-to-day influence within the council sits.

Legally, elected councillors remain the decision-making body, with the clerk acting as the authority’s senior officer and adviser.

Wider context

Mr Rothero’s disqualification follows the recent four-year ban imposed on former councillor David Devauden in a separate but related case involving similar allegations.

Together, the decisions underline the scale of governance challenges that have affected Neyland Town Council in recent years.

Community councils rely heavily on volunteer elected members supported by a small number of paid staff, usually one clerk, a structure that can magnify personality clashes and operational pressures when relationships break down.

The full written reasons from the Adjudication Panel for Wales are expected to be published in due course.

For Neyland Town Council, the latest ruling closes another chapter in a prolonged period of internal conflict, although questions remain about whether deeper structural issues within the authority have been resolved.

The Herald will continue to monitor developments.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Residents invited to comment on plans to remove air quality zones

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL is asking residents for their views on proposals to remove Air Quality Management Areas (AQMAs) in parts of Haverfordwest and Pembroke following sustained improvements in pollution levels.

The Council says it remains committed to monitoring air quality across the county to protect public health. In 2012, several streets in both towns were designated as AQMAs after assessments showed that traffic-related pollution, particularly nitrogen dioxide (NO₂), had the potential to exceed national air quality objectives.

Since then, monitoring data has shown significant and consistent improvements.

Officials say nitrogen dioxide levels in both locations have remained comfortably within national standards for a number of years. Improvements in vehicle emissions technology and changes to traffic flow are believed to be key factors behind the reduction.

As a result, the Council is proposing to revoke the AQMA designations. However, air quality monitoring will continue to ensure standards remain within safe limits.

How to take part

Residents can share their views by completing an online survey before Thursday, March 20, 2026.

The survey is available at:
https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/have-your-say/revocation-of-air-quality-management-areas

Anyone who would prefer a paper copy can contact the Council’s Customer Contact Centre on 01437 764551 or email [email protected].

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man who attacked woman outside Milford Haven bar ‘shows no remorse whatsoever’

Published

on

Judge halts hearing after victim statement reveals ongoing facial injuries

A MAN who admitted causing serious injuries to a woman outside a Milford Haven bar has had his sentencing postponed after a judge ordered further medical evidence to be obtained.

Ben Jenkins, aged 27, of St Lawrence Avenue, Hakin, appeared before Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Feb 16) for sentencing after being found guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to a female motorist outside the Nos Da Bar on Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on Guy Fawkes Night, November 5, 2023.

The court heard the case had been listed for sentence, but proceedings were halted part-way through the prosecution’s reading of the victim personal statement when new details emerged about the ongoing impact of the injuries.

Prosecutors told the court that the victim continues to suffer significant facial deformity more than two years after the incident, including a swollen cheek, an altered smile, and the presence of a bone fragment lodged within her sinus cavity.

At that stage, His Honour Judge P H Thomas KC intervened and directed that updated medical reports must be obtained before the court could properly assess the seriousness of the injuries and determine an appropriate sentence.

The victim’s statement described the profound physical and psychological consequences of the assault. She told the court that her confidence had been shattered and that her “world has become small”, with day-to-day life affected by pain, anxiety, and ongoing medical uncertainty.

Judge Thomas said the court required further clarification on the permanence and long-term prognosis of the injuries before sentence could be passed. He also made clear his concern about the defendant’s attitude.

“Ben Jenkins still shows no remorse whatsoever,” the judge remarked, indicating this would be a relevant factor when sentencing eventually takes place.

The hearing was adjourned to allow medical evidence to be obtained, and the case will now return to Swansea Crown Court for sentencing on April 17.

Jenkins remains on bail pending the next hearing.

 

Continue Reading

News15 hours ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime2 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Community3 days ago

Lifeboat to find new home at Pembroke Dock museum after historic handover ceremony

A HISTORIC lifeboat which saved forty lives around the British coastline is set to begin a new chapter in Pembroke...

Crime4 days ago

Pendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl

Offender had 1,101 unlawful images of children stored on his devices, including 122 Category A images – the most serious...

Crime5 days ago

Publican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court

Admits cocaine and cannabis supply but denies intent and cash allegations A MILFORD HAVEN pub landlord has admitted supplying cocaine...

Popular This Week