News
Reporting and detecting rape offences
DYFED POWYS POLICE has welcomed the report from the HMIC on the numbers of reported and detected rape offences in the force area for the year up until March 2013.
The police say they encourage people to be confident to come forward and report rape to them, and they have robust processes in place to record, investigate and do their best to detect the crimes and bring offenders to justice.
It is pleasing to see that the statistics for the Force show that the number of reported rapes of adults fell in the last year from 63 to 53 offences. To ensure they put the victim first, they record each crime that is reported to them within 24 hours, whereas the national standard of recording the crime is within 72 hours. Out of those, 21% were detected, which is above the national average.
In relation to the statistics for the rape of children the number of offences recorded by the force equated with the national average. Out of those, 26% were detected, again in line with the national average.
Detective Superintendent Shane Williams said, “We know that we have low numbers of rapes of both adults and children in Dyfed Powys, but it is important to remember that each of those numbers represents a victim. This crime is unacceptable and we are fully committed to doing everything possible to detect each and every crime and bring offenders to justice.
“To ensure the highest standards of investigation, each allegation of rape reported is led by a Detective Inspector, supported by officers who are trained in sexual offences, and every line of enquiry is followed through to ensure that we have the very best evidence on which to base a prosecution.
“We know that most of the offences that take place in Dyfed Powys, the victim knows the offender; we have very few stranger rape offences. For those crimes that have not been detected it is important to recognise that in the vast majority of these cases an offender was identified, arrested and interviewed. Despite our best efforts there are times when the evidence does not meet the threshold for prosecution. This means that although an offender has been identified the crime will remain undetected.
“As well as fully investigating offences of rape, we also recognise the importance of raising awareness of what constitutes rape and sexual assault, how to report it and the support available. An example of this is our work with colleges and universities during fresher weeks.
“As part of our robust investigation process we investigate all offences, and we do not release offenders on bail without consulting with a senior investigating officer, who will undertake a thorough assessment of the case.
“We work closely with partner agencies, including the Sexual Advice Referral Centre (SARC) to ensure the very best support to our victims of rape, and we are currently working with experts from Barnardos to further develop and enhance our knowledge of the sexual exploitation of children.”
Dyfed-Powys Police and Crime Commissioner Christopher Salmon said: “I welcome this report produced by HMIC on behalf of the Rape Monitoring Group. It’s important that such scrutiny is applied to data related to rape.
“In Dyfed-Powys I’m eager that we have a true picture of crime and that it’s not hidden so I encourage victims to report rapes. Actions can then be taken by agencies including the police to help them and to bring the perpetrators to justice.
“To help in that process, we must demonstrate the effectiveness of the Criminal Justice response to rape where it is effective. Equally, we must show what’s being done to improve the system when it’s not being effective.
“During Monday’s Policing Performance Board I’ll be asking the Chief Constable questions about the Dyfed-Powys matters highlighted in the HMIC report.”
If you have been a victim of rape or sexual assault you can call us on 101 or contact the sexual assault referral unit on 01267 235 464 or visit www.newpathways.org.uk. To find out more about rape and sexual assault visit www.dyfed-powys.police.uk and click on advice and support/look after yourself.
News
Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet
New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty
FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.
The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.
Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.
The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.
“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.
“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.
“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.
“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”
The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.
Local Government
Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints
Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed
ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.
Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.
The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.
Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.
He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.
“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”
The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.
Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.
Photo caption:
Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)
News
Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches
CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.
The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.
Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.
The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.
A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.
Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.
Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.
“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”
He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.
“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”
Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.
Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.
A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







