News
Tickets go on sale for Pride Festival
MEET the three famous Welsh faces supporting Pride Cymru 2014 – Wales’ largest celebration of equality and diversity.
Welsh actress, Lu Corfield best known for playing Freya Wilson in BBC One’s soap opera ‘Doctors’, is the latest addition to those backing Pride Cymru. Lu Corfield said she was honoured when asked to become a Patron. “Having grown up in Wales and as a keen advocate for LGBT rights, this is an event that literally hits close to home. I am incredibly proud to support an organisation that strives tirelessly to secure a future where there is genuine equality for all.” In an interview with Digital Spy, in March 2012, Lu announced that she was bisexual and proud of her sexuality. She works regularly with young adults and teenagers in workshops designed to stamp out abuse and encourage acceptance. She also recently appeared in the Diversity Role Models Calendar to show her support for the prevention of homophobic bullying in UK schools. Ian ‘H’ Watkins, the former star of million-record selling pop sensation Steps has also become a Patron for the charity organisation Welsh singer and actor, Ian ‘H’ Watkins commented: “This event is very close to heart and I am thrilled to be asked to be a patron. Pride Cymru does amazing work tackling homophobia and hate crime.” In a personal account filmed for BBC Wales’ Week In – Week Out, Ian described growing up gay in the Rhondda ‘a nightmare’, and came out while entering Celebrity Big Brother in 2007, with stars such as Jade Goody and Shilpa Shetty. Pride Cymru Trustee member, Lisa Power said: “Ian understands what it’s like to be a young LGBT person growing up in Wales. His successful entertainment career shows that you can realise your dreams, whoever you are and wherever you start from. He and Steps have done a lot to support LGBT causes over the years and he’s a great role model. We hope to welcome him to the Parade and Event this year.” International rugby referee, Nigel Owens who has been a Patron for the organisation in recent years is also proud to show his continuing support. Nigel has campaigned to stamp out sexual discrimination in sport since coming out as gay in 2007. Nigel Owens, said: “The new name of the LGBT Mardi Gras event shows that we’ve achieved so much in Wales in terms of equality. We’ve still got a way to go, but we’re getting there. The event is like a rugby match, when I got up on that stage last year you could see and hear the crowds roar. That’s Welsh pride right there. Pride Cymru really unites all types of communities together. No matter who you are. It’s a brilliant day out for all and I’m extremely proud to be part of it by showing my continuing support.” Previous Patrons include television producer Russell T. Davies, singer Charlotte Church and rugby player Gareth Thomas. Pride Cymru (previously known as Cardiff Mardi Gras) returns to the grounds of Coopers Field, Cardiff on Saturday 16th August 2014, kicking off midday with an impressive line-up of live main stage acts, including British boy band Union J, Big Reunion’s 90s girl group, Eternal, Misha B, Nicki French and local indie artists and cabaret performances that represent the last four decades of smash hits. The inaugural parade will also return for its third year running, themed as ‘Welsh Pride is…’ to embrace the festival’s new name. Advanced tickets for Pride Cymru are on sale at: http:// seetickets.com/go/PrideCymru14 Pride Cymru (Cardiff-Wales LGBT Mardi Gras) is in its fourteenth year running. It costs over £250,000 to stage the event, part funded by sponsors, managed by a group of volunteers. As a registered charity, the core aim of the celebration is to combat homophobic and transphobic hate crime to make Wales a safe place for all.
Entertainment
Blodwen Rocks the Boat sets sail for Torch Theatre
One-woman musical comedy from Newport performer Emily Davis heads to Milford Haven after Fringe success
FOLLOWING a successful run at the Edinburgh Fringe, Newport performer Emily Davis is setting sail on a UK tour with her uplifting one-woman musical comedy, Blodwen Rocks the Boat.
Blending sharp satire, original songs and heartfelt storytelling, the show takes an affectionate look at modern ideas of work, ambition and success — and what happens when we dare to question the path we’re on.
Blodwen believes she’s finally got it all figured out. The job, the city lifestyle, the reassuring sense that she’s “made it.” But when a corporate away day takes her unexpectedly out to sea, something begins to shift. As the tide turns, so too does Blodwen’s understanding of what success really means.
Directed by Paulus the Cabaret Geek and accompanied by musician and composer Andy Campbell Smith, Blodwen Rocks the Boat is a witty and life-affirming reminder that success isn’t always about climbing higher — sometimes it’s about choosing your own direction.
Emily Davis is a Welsh cabaret performer, singer and writer who has built a loyal following for her character-led solo shows. Previous Blodwen productions have enjoyed acclaimed runs at the Edinburgh Fringe and venues including the Wales Millennium Centre. This latest show marks her most ambitious project yet — a fully original musical developed through Fringe performances, previews and professional collaboration.
Emily said: “My Blodwen has blossomed! This is my biggest show yet and I can’t wait to see how audiences respond. I invite you to spend an evening with me — a Welsh woman who can sing and doesn’t mind making a fool of herself on stage! I promise you’ll also leave feeling very excited about stationery!”
The London Theatre Review described the show as “stunning”, adding: “Emily’s striking and powerful singing contrasts beautifully with the Welsh-accented simplicity of Blodwen’s stories. What an engaging performer.” Cabaret Scenes praised her vocal talent, calling it “her secret weapon.”
Blodwen Rocks the Boat tours the UK this spring and comes to the Torch Theatre on Tuesday, March 17 at 7:30pm.
Tickets are £15 and the show is suitable for ages twelve and over.
For more information visit www.torchtheatre.co.uk or contact the Box Office on (01646) 695267.
Entertainment
Let the cat out of the bag with the Torch Theatre
IT MAY feel like Christmas is a long way off, but tickets for the Torch Theatre’s 2026 school pantomime are already selling fast.
This year’s production promises hiss-terical humour, plenty of local references and a whisker of Western adventure as Puss in Boots rides into town. With over 2,000 tickets already booked and some performances sold out, schools are being urged to secure their seats now.
For a limited time, tickets are available at a special early bird price, and schools pay nothing until December. Booking early not only guarantees the best seats in the house but locks in this year’s prices too.

Last year’s Rapunzel welcomed more than 3,000 schoolchildren from across Pembrokeshire. Six schools also received financial support through the Arts Council of Wales ‘Go and See Fund’ to attend. The theatre is hoping to build on that success in 2026.
Tim Howe, Senior Manager for Youth and Community at the Torch, said: “For many young people, pantomime is their first experience of live theatre — that first spark of theatrical magic. Our commitment goes beyond the curtain call, with every school receiving a dedicated resource pack to bring the themes of the show into the classroom.
“Regardless of where they live, young people need the arts. We’re proud to support our community’s wellbeing through live performance. Studies suggest that the social connection found at the theatre can even reduce GP visits and hospital stays. Our panto isn’t just a show — it’s part of building a healthier Pembrokeshire. And they do say laughter is the best medicine.”
The Torch is preparing to welcome audiences this December as Puss helps our heroes chase fame and fur-tune in Wild West Wales. Pull on your cowboy boots and join the meow-sical extravaganza — it promises to be the cat’s pyjamas.
A Relaxed Environment performance will take place on Saturday 19 December at 2:00pm, and a BSL-interpreted performance on Tuesday 22 December at 6:00pm.
For more information visit www.torchtheatre.co.uk or call the Box Office on 01646 695267.
Education
Pembrokeshire respiratory project praised at the Senedd
AN INNOVATIVE Pembrokeshire scheme improving asthma care for primary school children has been recognised at an event held at the Senedd on Monday (Jan 27).
The Pembrokeshire Schools Respiratory Project, which has been running since 2023 across North and South Pembrokeshire school clusters, delivers in-school respiratory reviews and education sessions for pupils, parents and teaching staff. It is believed to be the first programme of its kind in Wales.
Samuel Kurtz met with project lead, Narberth-based pharmacist Dave Edwards, along with representatives from Asthma + Lung UK to mark the project’s success.
Mr Edwards said respiratory conditions place a significant burden on children and their families, as well as on the wider healthcare system.
“Our aim is to confirm diagnoses, educate pupils and parents about their condition, emphasise adherence and inhaler technique, and ensure every child has a personalised treatment plan that gives them good control,” he said. “This project demonstrates how local health initiatives can make a real difference.”
As part of the scheme, Year 5 and Year 6 pupils received sessions on the dangers of smoking and vaping, highlighting the impact of these habits on respiratory health. Parents and school staff were offered training aligned with the National Review of Asthma Deaths recommendations and delivered through the ‘Asthma Fit’ programme.
The sessions covered common childhood respiratory illnesses, recognising asthma symptoms, correct inhaler technique, the features of good asthma control, and the importance of having clear action plans for worsening symptoms.
Schools participating in the ‘Asthma Fit’ programme have introduced strengthened asthma policies, including appointing a designated asthma lead, maintaining an up-to-date inhaler register, implementing individual asthma action plans, and ensuring staff are trained to respond quickly and appropriately to attacks.
The project also aligns with national guidance, including the RCP’s National Review of Asthma Deaths report, NHS England’s National Bundle of Care for Children and Young People with Asthma, and the All Wales Paediatric Asthma Guidelines.
To date, 583 children have been reviewed, with more than 65% showing improved asthma control scores. Treatment has been optimised for 65% of pupils, contributing to fewer hospital and out-of-hours visits. The project has also delivered environmental benefits, with carbon savings estimated to be equivalent to more than 70,000 car miles.
In the Autumn Term 2025 alone, 75 pupils received reviews, personalised action plans and inhaler education.
Mr Kurtz said: “I am delighted to celebrate the success of this Pembrokeshire project in the Senedd. It has helped children, parents and schools manage asthma better, easing the burden on GPs and emergency care. Behind every statistic is a real child seeing real improvement.
“I am extremely proud that a Pembrokeshire-based project is leading the way in asthma management and acting as a flagship for other areas across the UK. I am also pleased to hear that plans are already in place to expand the initiative to more schools over the next two years — it thoroughly deserves continued support.”
-
Health4 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business6 days agoComputer Solutions Wales under fire from customers
-
Charity6 days agoWelsh patient voices help shape new UK-wide online kidney forum
-
Community5 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Community6 days agoCalls for traffic calming in Neyland after car hits house
-
News6 days agoFresh concerns over £60m A40 scheme after resurfacing works just months after opening
-
Crime6 days agoWoman admits two shop thefts and banned from town supermarkets
-
Crime2 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock







