Crime
Chip shop owner in tears as he is cleared of killing his wife with boiling oil

A CHIP SHOP owner has been cleared of killing his wife after he was accused of pouring scalding hot oil over her.
Geoffrey Bran, 71, was accused of pushing or throwing a deep fat fryer onto Mavis Bran at the Chipoteria in Hermon, Carmarthenshire, on 23 October last year.
Mrs Bran, 69, died six days after suffering “horrific burns” to 46% of her body.
Before her death she told a friend and paramedics that her husband had “flipped” and attacked her with the fryer because she had been “nagging him”.

But Mr Bran has been found not guilty of the murder or manslaughter of his wife.
Mr Bran was in tears when the verdict was read out after his week-long trial at Swansea Crown Court, before judge Paul Thomas QC released him from the dock.
His wife of 38 years died from multiple organ failure after developing sepsis, hypothermia and undergoing surgery to remove some of her burned skin.
Gareth Davies, a friend who lived with the couple, told the court Mrs Bran returned home naked from the waist up with “crimson” peeling skin.
He added she was shouting “I’ve been burned” and “I’ve had boiling hot fat all over me”.
Mrs Bran then rang her friend, Caroline Morgan, telling her: “Geoff has thrown boiling oil over me. Please get here, I need you now, help.”
Miss Morgan said she found Mrs Bran “shocked” and “shaking” and told Mr Davies to call for an ambulance, before telling Mr Bran, who was still serving customers, to shut the chip shop.

Miss Morgan told the court Mrs Bran said: “I was nagging him and he flipped.”
She was taken by air ambulance to the burns unit at Morriston Hospital in Swansea.
Mr Bran was initially arrested on suspicion of assault and denied attacking his wife, telling police: “She got burned with the chip fryer. She slipped and it came off the top and went over her. Don’t ask.”
The couple, who had no children together, owned around 10 businesses in South Wales, including the Chipoteria which opened in January 2018 in a cabin situated next to their home.
The financial pressures of their various businesses would sometimes put a strain on their marriage, leading to arguments about money, the court heard.
People who knew the couple were said to have described them as having “short tempers” and “always argued, swearing and shouting at each other”.

A friend of Mrs Bran had noticed the couple’s relationship had been “deteriorating” in the months leading up to her death, with Mrs Bran phoning friend Miss Morgan in tears saying “he’s getting nasty”.
Mr Bran claimed his wife had previously spread lies about him, and suggested she was “halfway” to being drunk after drinking glasses of red wine on the afternoon she was injured.
Paramedics found she had a blood alcohol reading of 108mg/dl, higher than the drink-drive limit of 80mg/dl.
Mr Bran said his wife must have been “confused” when blaming him but said he “couldn’t find an answer” as to why he then ignored her for more than two hours after she was hurt.
He told the court he loved and missed his wife, despite telling police in an interview: “It’s a miracle we lasted that long.
“But we used to get on OK. We’ve had our ups and downs.”
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Crime
Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.
Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.
He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.
The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.
He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.
Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn