Local Government
Pembrokeshire County Council to end year £4m in credit
PEMBROKESHIRE County Council, which has faced overspends on its budget in the millions in recent years, is predicted to end this year £4m in credit.
A report for members at the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet, presented by Cabinet member for finance, Cllr Alistair Cameron, said the county’s approved budget for the 2025-26 financial year of £326.6m was, as of the third quarter of the year, predicted to end at £322.6m, representing a projected underspend of £4m.
A good chunk of that saving, as reported in previous financial quarters was due to slippage in the Capital Programme in 2024-25 which has resulted in higher levels of investment income and delayed borrowing costs.
“A projected underspend of £4.429m in Capital Financing Costs and Increased Investment Income of £0.050m has been able to more than offset [other financial pressures],” the report said.
The report also included comments from Director of Resources Jon Haswell: “We are now projecting a year end underspend of £4.0m at the end of Quarter 3, primarily due to the significant underspend in capital financing costs.
“At outturn, it will be proposed that any underspend is placed in the Initiative Fund reserve, to provide additional funding for future Accelerated Change Programme (ACP) bids.
“Both council tax and rent arrears appear to have stabilised, albeit urgent work is required over the coming months and years to recover them. All service budgets within the Resources Directorate are all projected to remain within budget, with the exception of Finance & Revenue Services/Resources and Procurement who will be overspent due to additional FIMS software costs.”
The £4m underspend compares with a predicted end-of-year underspend of £1m in the previous financial quarter, and predictions of a £2.2m underspend from figures from the first quarter of the financial year.
Pembrokeshire County Council actually ended the last financial year underspending by £2m, in part due to an extra £1.2m raised through second homes tax, councillors have previously heard.
In recent years the situation has been far bleaker, with third quarter projections for the 2023-24 budget of an overspend of £6.6m, £3m up from quarter two’s £3.6m, which in itself was a reduction of the previous quarter one figure of a £4.8m predicted overspend.
The end of the 2024 financial year reduced that to a £3m overspend, and by November 2024 – the 2024-25 year – the council was predicted to overspend by £3.9m, later, last February that prediction reduced to £1.4m, before the final underspend.
Cllr Cameron, who moved the report on the quarter three financial position was noted, said: “The £4m is roughly one per cent under budget, any of us would agree that’s exactly where we’d want to be at this stage of the financial year, and certainly a lot better than previous years’ overspends.”
Leader Cllr Jon Harvey said: “It’s really good to see the departments, by and large, within budgets, on a more financially sustainable path.”
Members agreed to note the report.
Local Government
Tenby Market Hall consultation event to shape future plans
Public invited to drop-in session at De Valence
TENBY residents are being invited to help shape the future of one of the town’s most historic and well-loved buildings.
Pembrokeshire County Council is holding a public drop-in consultation event on Wednesday (Feb 18) to gather views on the future of Tenby Market Hall.
The event will take place at The De Valence between 4:00pm and 7:00pm.
Tenby Market Hall has been at the heart of the town for generations, supporting local traders and acting as a focal point for the community. The council says it is committed to retaining the character and role of the market while exploring how the building can be updated and improved for the future.
Residents, traders and visitors are being encouraged to attend and share their views on what should remain, what could be refreshed, and how the Market Hall can continue to thrive as both a trading hub and community space.
Deputy Leader Cllr Paul Miller said the consultation marks the beginning of wider public engagement.
“After our initial conversations with traders, this event marks the first step in our public engagement for the future of Tenby Market Hall, a key historic asset in our town centre that supports local traders and contributes so much to the life of Tenby,” he said.
“I’d encourage everyone to come along, take part, and share their views on how we can create a thriving market that is fit for the future. There will be a range of stations on the day to help gather ideas and feedback, and all are very welcome.”
Those unable to attend can submit feedback by emailing [email protected].
The council has indicated that further opportunities for engagement will follow as plans develop.
Local Government
Hakin byelection set for March following death of Cllr Mike Stoddart
A BYELECTION for Pembrokeshire County Council’s Hakin ward will take place next month following the death of long-serving councillor Mike Stoddart.
Cllr Stoddart, described as a “fearless campaigner for truth and justice”, passed away on January 4. He had represented Milford Haven’s Hakin ward since first being elected in 2004 and served the community for more than two decades.
His wife, Vivien Stoddart, represents Hubberston on the county council, while his daughter, Tessa Hodgson, represents Lamphey and currently serves as Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care.

Well known for his forthright style, Cllr Stoddart built a reputation for challenging perceived failings and injustices within local government. Before entering politics, he co-founded the Milford Mercury newspaper with his family. In later years, he continued scrutinising council affairs through his widely read Old Grumpy website.
Paying tribute, Pembrokeshire County Council Leader Cllr Jon Harvey said: “Mike was the prime example of what someone in local politics should be – working for and demanding better for his constituents.
“Mike was unashamedly forthright. He would argue his corner with conviction and always with facts on his side.
“He has kept me and many predecessors as leader firmly on our toes. The chamber and Pembrokeshire as a whole will be much poorer for his loss.”
Cllr Jacob Williams, a friend and fellow blogger, described him as leaving “a formidable legacy”.
“I was first elected to the council with Mike in 2012, and he’s been an enormous part of my life ever since. To say he was my mentor wouldn’t do him justice – I couldn’t have wished for a better friend, and I’ll miss him dearly,” he said.
If the Hakin seat is contested, the election will be held on March 17. Nomination papers must be delivered to the Returning Officer at County Hall, Haverfordwest by 4:00pm on February 18.
Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by midnight on February 27.
The Hakin contest follows the recent Fishguard North-East byelection, held on February 10 after the death of Cllr Jordan Ryan. That seven-way contest was won by Plaid Cymru candidate Billy Shaw with 253 votes.
Full results were: Caleb Charles Churchill (Welsh Liberal Democrats) 135; Paul Stephen Howe (Welsh Labour) 83; Peter Martin John (Reform UK) 95; Brian Andrew Murphy (Welsh Conservative Party) 69; Teresa Ruth Tannahill (Independent) 79; Adrian John Adrian Tyrrell (Independent) 35; and William Cuthbert Linton Shaw (Plaid Cymru – The Party of Wales) 253.
Local Government
Pembrokeshire poor weather roads strategy review backed
A CALL for a review of Pembrokeshire’s poor weather strategy, with the potential return of a north county ‘salt tip’ to tackle snowy and icy roads, has been backed by senior councillors.
In a notice of motion, leader of the county’s independent group Cllr Huw Murphy asked that the council’s Highways Department “review their poor weather strategy, especially in relation to snow and ice conditions,” and called for the council to “reinstate/return an auxiliary/reserve salt tip to north Pembrokeshire”.
His notice stated: “Historically, North Pembrokeshire had a ‘salt tip’ located near Crymych and it’s a well-known fact that the A478 between Crymych & Cardigan and between Crymych and Clunderwen becomes difficult for motorists, especially HGVs and coaches (school buses), becoming treacherous during periods of snowfall and ice.
“An auxiliary salt tip again located in Pembrokeshire would enable north Pembrokeshire roads to be subject of quicker and regular gritting than currently occurs, keeping roads open and safer for road users.
“The recent heavy snowfall highlighted a weakness in the current highway gritting and snow clearing strategy in relation to northeast Pembrokeshire and areas of the Preseli Mountains, which generally suffer the worst weather when it comes to snow and ice.”
Cllr Murphy’s motion was considered at the February 9 meeting of the council’s Cabinet, which was recommended to back it.
A report for members said the ‘Pembrokeshire dangler’ severe weather of mid-November saw heavy localised impacts in the northeast with up to 15 inches of accumulated snow being measured on the highest roads.
“These effects were however short term and during this time, when the public were advised not to travel unless essential, apart from the highest road (B4329 New Inn to Tafarnybwlch) no primary roads were inaccessible for more than an hour.”
It added: “It is however recognised that there is the potential for more severe weather impacts to affect the northeastern area of the county, due to the topographical nature of the area.
“Therefore, in order to ensure that the location of auxiliary salt storage is located in the most appropriate locations in Pembrokeshire, as part of the review of future winter maintenance plans this point could be reviewed to determine if additional salt storage is required and if so where this would best be located.”
At the meeting, Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett moved the recommendation for an officer-led review of the winter maintenance plan; which will return to Cabinet in Autumn 2026 for endorsement.
The proposal was backed by Cabinet members; Leader Cllr Jon Harvey saying: “It seems to me to make perfect sense, as Cllr Murphy points out the north of the county is getting a fair bit more snow and ice.”
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business7 days agoComputer Solutions Wales under fire from customers
-
Charity7 days agoWelsh patient voices help shape new UK-wide online kidney forum
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Community7 days agoCalls for traffic calming in Neyland after car hits house
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
News7 days agoFresh concerns over £60m A40 scheme after resurfacing works just months after opening
-
Crime7 days agoWoman admits two shop thefts and banned from town supermarkets








