Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Community gathers for Friday prayers during Ramadan in Milford Haven

Published

on

Police visit highlights spirit of unity and support at local Islamic centre

WORSHIPPERS gathered at the Hamad Bin Khalifa Islamic Centre in Milford Haven on Friday (Feb 20) as part of the weekly Jumuah prayers during the holy month of Ramadan.

The mosque has been welcoming members of the local Muslim community for prayers, reflection and community connection during the sacred period, which is observed by millions of people worldwide through fasting, charity and spiritual devotion.

Ramadan is considered one of the most important times in the Islamic calendar, with Muslims fasting from dawn until sunset, increasing acts of charity and focusing on faith, family and community.

As part of wider community engagement efforts, a Police Community Support Officer from the Milford Haven and Neyland neighbourhood policing team attended prayers to show support and build relationships with local residents.

Officers said the visit was intended to demonstrate solidarity and reassurance, particularly during a significant religious period, while strengthening positive links between the police and the community.

The Hamad Bin Khalifa Islamic Centre has played an important role in Milford Haven for many years, serving not only as a place of worship but also as a hub for cultural understanding and community activity.

Local leaders have previously highlighted the value of partnership working between community organisations and public services in promoting cohesion and mutual respect across Pembrokeshire.

The centre is expected to continue hosting regular prayers and gatherings throughout Ramadan, with members of the community coming together each week for worship and fellowship.

 

News

Rising fear over antisemitic threats to Jewish life in Wales and across the UK

Published

on

Concerns grow as communities call for leadership, security and reassurance

JEWISH communities in Wales and across the United Kingdom are facing a deeply worrying rise in antisemitic threats and incidents, placing institutions, families and children at increasing risk.

Synagogues, Jewish schools and community centres are operating under heightened security as fear grows within communities. Parents are increasingly anxious about their children travelling to and from school, while congregations are questioning whether they can worship safely. Community leaders warn that the situation is no longer theoretical — it is a present and escalating concern.

In Cardiff, a man travelling from Manchester was recently detained after allegedly attempting to target Cardiff Reform Synagogue, an incident that sent shockwaves through the local Jewish community and highlighted the seriousness of the threat environment.

Denise Kingsley-Jones, speaking on behalf of The Olive Trust Wales, said: “Our Jewish institutions are at stake. Synagogues require protection, Jewish children should not grow up fearing abuse or violence, and families should not feel unsafe simply by living openly as Jews. The level of anxiety in our communities is profound and escalating.”

Despite the seriousness of the situation, concerns have been raised about a lack of visible reassurance and public leadership. Community representatives say there has been no clear proactive response from the Equality and Human Rights Commission, nor a direct public statement from the First Minister of Wales specifically addressing the safety of Jewish communities at this time.

At a recent private meeting, Welsh Government minister Jane Hutt reportedly assured community representatives that security would be treated as a paramount concern. While that reassurance was welcomed, campaigners say it must now be matched by visible action, sustained engagement and public accountability.

Leaders warn that antisemitism is not solely a Jewish issue but a threat to democratic values, social cohesion and the safety of minority communities across the UK. They argue that silence, delay or minimisation risks emboldening those who seek to intimidate and harm.

The Olive Trust Wales is calling on political leaders, statutory bodies and law enforcement agencies to:

• Publicly acknowledge the severity of antisemitic threats
• Reassure Jewish communities through clear statements and action
• Ensure robust, properly funded security for Jewish institutions
• Demonstrate zero tolerance for antisemitism in all its forms

Community representatives say Jewish people should not have to question whether they are safe, stressing that they have the right to live, worship and educate their children without fear.

For antisemitism awareness and training for public services, third sector organisations and corporate bodies, contact Denise Kingsley-Jones at The Olive Trust Wales.

 

Continue Reading

Education

Parents urge council not to close Ysgol Llansteffan

Published

on

Campaigners call for delay amid Welsh language investigation and rising pupil numbers

PARENTS and campaigners have urged Carmarthenshire County Council’s Cabinet not to recommend the closure of Ysgol Llansteffan when members meet on Monday (Feb 23).

The appeal comes ahead of a proposed decision that could see the village’s Welsh-medium primary school close in August this year.

The Ysgol Llansteffan Parents and Teachers Association (PTA), supported by Cymdeithas yr Iaith, has written to councillors calling for the process to be halted, arguing that key evidence remains incomplete and that the case for closure is flawed.

Among their concerns is an ongoing investigation by the Welsh Language Commissioner into the language impact assessment used to support the closure proposal. Campaigners say it would be inappropriate for the council to make a final decision before the investigation is concluded.

They also claim no council decision-makers have visited the school to verify the information used in the proposal, despite significant changes in circumstances, including a rise in pupil numbers to 17 as of January 2026.

The PTA argues that this increase undermines earlier projections and raises questions about the reliability of longer-term forecasts used to justify closure.

Financial concerns have also been raised. While council documents suggest annual savings of around £112,000, campaigners say transport costs of approximately £50,000 per year and inflationary pressures have not been clearly accounted for, potentially overstating the net benefit.

Parents say closure would remove parental choice and risk damaging Welsh-medium education in the area by forcing some children to travel further or potentially move into English-medium provision.

Cymdeithas yr Iaith has backed the PTA’s call, warning that the council’s objection report failed to properly address concerns that insufficient school capacity elsewhere could push pupils out of Welsh-medium education altogether.

Campaigners have also criticised what they describe as factual inconsistencies in the council’s reports, including outdated enrolment figures and conflicting capacity estimates for neighbouring schools.

The PTA has asked the council to defer any decision until updated data is available, the Commissioner’s findings are published, and alternative options for sustaining the school have been fully explored.

In their letter, parents stressed they remain willing to work constructively with the council to develop a long-term solution that would allow the school to remain open as a sustainable Welsh-medium provision for the community.

Carmarthenshire County Council has previously said the proposal is intended to address falling pupil numbers, high surplus places and financial pressures at the school. Cabinet members were told earlier in the process that neighbouring Ysgol Llangain would have sufficient capacity to accommodate pupils if the closure proceeds, and that transferring learners would provide access to improved facilities and help ensure long-term sustainability of education provision in the area.

The final decision is expected to be taken by full council in March following the Cabinet’s recommendation.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Boots, beer and barn dancing coming to Broad Haven

Published

on

Live country music night promises fun for all at village hall

A NIGHT of country music, dancing and Western-style fun is coming to Broad Haven next month as the Havens Hoedown rolls into the village hall.

The event, taking place on Friday, March 20, will feature live music from local band Red Skies, along with line dancing and a relaxed, social atmosphere aimed at bringing the community together.

Doors open at 7:00pm, with music starting at 8:00pm. Organisers are encouraging attendees to embrace the theme, with cowboy hats and boots very much welcome on the night.

As well as the live entertainment, honky tonk shots will be available to purchase, and the evening will follow a bring-your-own format for other drinks.

Tickets are priced at £12.50 and are available from Broad Haven Post Office, or by contacting the organisers via email or Facebook.

Event organisers said the hoedown is designed to be a fun, inclusive night out for residents across the Havens and surrounding communities.

They added: “We wanted to create something a bit different — a lively evening where people can enjoy great music, have a dance, and spend time together locally without needing to travel far.”

The Havens Hoedown is expected to be popular, and early ticket purchase is advised.

 

Continue Reading

News10 hours ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health11 hours ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health1 day ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health1 day ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government2 days ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime3 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week