Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Dic Penderyn pardon gathers steam

Published

on

A memorial: Erected to Dic Penderyn

A memorial: Erected to Dic Penderyn

NEARLY two centuries after he went to the gallows protesting his innocence, a campaign seeking a posthumous pardon for one of south Wales’ best-known martyrs is under way.

Richard Lewis, more commonly known as Dic Penderyn, was a miner working in Merthyr Tydfil at the time of the Merthyr Uprising of 1831. Along with another man, Lewis Lewis, he was convicted of wounding a Scottish Dragoon who was part of the force brought in to quell the disturbance. At least sixteen of the protesters were killed, and it is considered that this figure represented a deliberate underestimation.

Although the soldier was unable to identify either of his ‘assailants,’ the pair were convicted. Lewis Lewis had his sentence commuted to Transportation after the testimony of a special constable, who Lewis shielded from rioters, was heard.

The case caused outrage across south Wales and further afield. A petition demanding a pardon for Richard Lewis received 11,000 signatures, and it was widely believed that he had been targeted for his involvement with workers’ rights groups. A Quaker ironmaster who initially went to comfort Lewis during his incarceration, became so convinced of his innocence that he convinced the trial judge that the conviction was unsafe.

However, the Home Secretary at the time, Viscount Melbourne, who had described south Wales in Parliament as ‘the worst and most formidable district in the kingdom’, granted a two-week stay of execution but refused to review the sentence. It has been subsequently claimed that his refusal to review Lewis’ sentence was motivated more by the desire to make an example of someone than through any legal motivation.

Richard Lewis was hanged at the old Cardiff Jail on August 13 1831. He was just 23 years-old. His last words were “O Arglwydd, dyma gamwedd” (“Oh Lord, here is iniquity”). He was buried in Aberavon.

The Merthyr Uprising is considered to be one of the touchstones of industrial action in south Wales, and Richard Lewis has long been considered a martyr by workers and Unions alike. One of the solicitors campaigning for his pardon, Bernard de Maid, has said that ‘the irony of this is if he had not gone to the gallows, Wales would have had one hero less’.

Richard Lewis has been the subject of many songs, poems, and works of fiction. Gwyn Thomas’ All Things Betray Thee was a thinly fictionalised treatment of the Merthyr Uprising, and when researching his novel The Fire People, Alexander Cordell claimed to have found new evidence that proved Lewis’ innocence.

In 2000, Mr de Maid began proceedings to challenge the original decision, pointing out that the testimony of 12 witnesses who stated that Lewis was innocent was not heard at the original trial.

Jane Hall, a descendant of Lewis, who lives in St Dogmaels, has been involved in the campaign, which was started by her late mother, since 2000, along with her four sisters. At present, the National Assembly is joining in calls to the Secretary of State for Justice Michael Gove to ‘grant Richard Lewis a pardon at the earliest possible opportunity’.

The petition has received cross-party support, and has been signed by Labour AM Joyce Watson, and Preseli Pembrokeshire’s Paul Davies, among others. Eighteen AMs have already signed.

Speaking to the Herald, Mrs Hall said that the original conviction had been a ‘major injustice’. “I know there have been many injustices in the world since, but in this case 16 people were killed by soldiers that night and that wasn’t enough. They had to make an example. The family has always considered that a great wrong was done to an innocent man. It would be rather nice if history could be righted.”

When we asked Mrs Hall how the appeal was progressing, she told us that it was ‘a wait and see game’.

“It’s in the lap of Michael Gove now,” she added.

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. tomos

    July 9, 2015 at 9:01 am

    Why bother?

    What next ? Tony Blair arrested for his war crimes in 200 years time?

  2. D Morris

    July 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm

    The trial was also held in English, Dic could only speak & understand Welsh. It is said that he was singled out for shouting “Down with the King” during the riots.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Cardigan musician to perform climate fundraiser concert

Published

on

CLASSICALLY trained Cardigan musician Rosalind Powell will perform a concert of original alternative pop songs next month in aid of Cardigan Extinction Rebellion.

The concert, Singing for the Future, takes place at St Mary’s Old School Hall, Cardigan, on Saturday, June 6, at 7:00pm.

Rosalind, who has a music degree from Cambridge University, is a composer, pianist and teacher of piano, singing and music theory.

The concert will show another side of her musicianship, with a programme of original songs drawn from her three albums, Sound Eagle, Circumference and Dragonfly.

It follows a successful recent launch event for Sound Eagle at the Cellar Bar.

Rosalind said: “Climate change and biodiversity loss are issues that I care deeply about, and I’m so pleased to be able to give my support through music.

“Our future is threatened by the climate and nature crises, but so many people are doing positive things to improve the situation and bring us hope. I’m glad this fundraiser will help towards that.”

Tickets will be available on the door, with a suggested price of £8, although those who cannot afford the full amount can pay less. Teas, coffees and cakes will also be available.

Rosalind’s Sound Eagle album recently received a warm review from The Pit London music site, which described it as “a dreamy and reflective world” and praised its blend of alternative pop, soft jazz influences and classical piano.

Rosalind said she has already been featured on 15 radio stations, will perform at Llangollen Fringe’s Music Around Town event in September, and is planning a West Wales tour later this year.

The concert falls on the first day of Great Big Green Week. Weather permitting, Cardigan Extinction Rebellion will also hold a street stall on Wednesday, June 10, giving away plants, seeds and information about gardening for wildlife.

 

Continue Reading

News

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Published

on

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response

A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to Redberth Croft on Tuesday evening (May 19), prompting a road closure while emergency services made the area safe.

The incident happened just off the A477 at Redberth, where a vehicle caught fire and rolled into a hedge and the new entranceway to Redberth Croft.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze.

In a statement shared on social media, Redberth Croft thanked firefighters for their rapid response.

The business said: “A huge thank you to the Fire Brigade for their swift response in safely putting out a car fire that rolled into our hedge and new entranceway at Redberth Croft.

“Thankfully nobody was hurt, and we’re incredibly grateful for the professionalism and quick action of the emergency services.”

Photos from the scene show the vehicle completely burnt out, with extensive damage to the engine bay and interior, as firefighters worked nearby.

Motorists were warned to avoid the area while the road remained closed for safety reasons.

Redberth Croft added: “Please be aware that this is just off the A477 next to our new entrance, and the road is currently closed while the area is made safe. Please avoid the area and take care if travelling nearby.”

It is not yet known what caused the fire or whether any other vehicles were involved.

Photo caption:

Burnt out: Fire crews at the scene after a car rolled into the hedge near the entrance to Redberth Croft (Pics: Redberth Croft)

 

Continue Reading

Community

Milford Haven mourns loss of ‘legend’ Muci Power

Published

on

Tributes pour in for former Lord Kitchener landlord

TRIBUTES have flooded in from across Milford Haven following the death of Alan Edward Thomas “Muci” Power, remembered as a “true legend” and one of the town’s best-known characters.

Mr Power, affectionately known as Muci, passed away suddenly but peacefully at Withybush Hospital on Sunday, May 10, aged 79.

Best known to many as the former landlord of the Lord Kitchener public house in Milford Haven — affectionately known as “The Kitch” — Muci became a familiar and much-loved figure in the town, known for his humour, friendship and larger-than-life personality.

The devoted husband of Meryl, father, grandfather and great-grandfather leaves behind a family at the centre of Milford life, while countless friends have spoken of the memories they shared with him over many years.

The Royal British Legion paid tribute, saying: “Rest in peace, Muci. You will be dearly missed by us all here at the Royal British Legion. Thank you for the memories and your presence in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones during this difficult time.”

Hundreds of tributes have also been posted online, with many describing Muci as a “Milford legend” whose passing marks the end of an era.

Friends remembered good times at The Kitch, where Muci was at the heart of local life for many years.

Ryan Hackett wrote: “Will have a T.A.C. for you mate on Tuesday. Will miss you Matey. Another Milford legend gone.”

Simon Jenkins said: “Muci was one in a million, a true legend. Milford has lost a true gent.”

Many spoke of his warmth and generosity, with Nigel Hackett thanking him for “being there when I needed someone.”

Muci was the devoted husband of Meryl, dearly loved father and father-in-law of Karl and Claire, and Hayley and Roy, proud grandfather of Morgan, Sam, Caitlin and Jay, and adored great-grandfather of Amalie.

His funeral service will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, on Tuesday, May 26, at 11:30am.

For those wishing to pay their respects, the hearse will leave the Lord Kitchener, Charles Street, Milford Haven, at 10:40am.

Immediate family flowers only.

All enquiries to Tom Newing & Sons Ltd, Funeral Directors, Dartmouth Street, Milford Haven, SA73 2AN. Tel: 01646 693180.

 

Continue Reading

News6 hours ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News12 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg16 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime1 day ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community2 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime2 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health3 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community3 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government5 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

Popular This Week