News
Haverfordwest: Refrigeration unit hampers council
THE COUNCIL is to look at buying the old Woolworths store in Haverfordwest in order to progress plans for a proposed footpath from Castle Lake car park to Castle Square.
At a meeting of the Cabinet on Monday (Nov 30), the council heard how a ‘trivial’ refrigeration unit is hampering the council from progressing with the plans.
Council Leader Jamie Adams asked for the Director of Development to look into the possibility of buying the store to help get rid of the unit and open up the path.
Cllr Simon Hancock said: “At the moment it is seen as squalor and it looks dreadful.”
Cllr Keith Lewis said: “This is a most frustrating situation that we find ourselves in and this originated from a notice of motion from Cllr Tom Tudor but you’ll see from the dates in the report that we have been batting this one backwards and forward for a long time.
“The current position is that following a takeover within the budget shop areas where Poundland have taken over 99p stores the operating of the 99p store has moved into another portfolio of stores.
“Despite repeated approaches we have continually failed to get to an agreement regarding an element that is most trivial because all that is required to put in place this link is that we need to remove one element from the side of the building, a refrigeration condenser, approximately half a day’s work.
“This is most frustrating because it not only stops a project but it is a project that is important for the regeneration of Haverfordwest because it provides an ideal link from the castle down into Castle Square, Bridge Street and so on.
“The best that we have at the moment is that the people have said they will look at it in the New Year but I find that unacceptable.”
Cllr Simon Hancock said: “This link pathway has been under discussion for years and I know that this authority has been very frustrated at the inability to progress this.
“Visitors to Haverfordwest go up past this store but they are greeted with a site of dereliction, an absolute eyesore. We could remove that and have a linkway so people can park in Castle Lake car park and walk through into Castle Square. It would be a huge benefit to the town.”
Cllr Rob Lewis added: “It is seen from all involved in the town, and in the chamber of trade, as a really important step forward for the town. They are really keen to see this access improved an opened up.
“It is extremely frustrating that we find ourselves with such a trivial thing as the refrigeration unit that means we can’t proceed.”
Council Leader Jamie Adams said this had been discussed for eight to ten years describing it was ‘an awfully long time’.
He added: “Perhaps it is time to take the matter under our own control recognising that the store in question, the old Woolworths store, is an extremely strategically important site in Haverfordwest and does have the opportunity to, if control could be taken of the site, to deliver an anchor store in the centre of the town with good links from the car park.”
The leader changed the recommendation, asking the Director of Development to look at the possibility of making a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) on the store.
Cllr Keith Lewis welcomed the idea and said it would send out a positive message that the authority was committed to working with the town team to improving and regenerating the centre of Haverfordwest.
Climate
Henry Tufnell accused of backing ‘drill baby drill’ tactics
Environmental group says Pembrokeshire MP’s North Sea stance risks undermining climate policy
PEMBROKESHIRE MP Henry Tufnell has been accused by local environmental campaigners of backing “drill baby drill” tactics over future North Sea oil and gas production.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth made the claim after Mr Tufnell wrote an article in The Sun in March criticising the UK Government’s position on new oil and gas drilling.
The group said it wrote to the Labour MP on April 3, challenging his comments and urging him to reconsider his position.
In its letter, the group argued that further North Sea drilling would do little to reduce energy bills or improve energy security, because UK oil and gas prices are linked to international markets.
A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth said Mr Tufnell’s approach was “supported by the likes of Reform UK and Donald Trump” but rejected by energy and climate experts.
The group said the UK Energy Research Centre had concluded that additional UK oil and gas production would have “negligible impact” on the cost of living, and that the priority should instead be reducing demand and investing in renewable energy.
It also pointed to Climate Change Committee analysis suggesting that job losses in fossil fuel industries would be outweighed by job creation in areas such as renewable energy, retrofitting and electric vehicles.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth also criticised Mr Tufnell’s call for the removal of carbon taxes in manufacturing, saying it showed a lack of understanding of the urgency of climate change.
The group said Mr Tufnell had failed to reply to its letter, despite allegedly promising to do so during a face-to-face conversation in Narberth in April.
The spokesperson added: “The fact that the MP has refused to reply to our letter suggests that he either has more respect for a London tabloid newspaper than for his own constituents or is having difficulty justifying the viewpoints he presented in The Sun.”
MP says transition must protect jobs
In response, Mr Tufnell said he was “immensely grateful” for the work of Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth and praised the group’s campaigning on environmental issues.
He said he was proud to have supported the group last month by attending its screening of the People’s Emergency Briefing film, which highlighted threats to nature and climate.
Mr Tufnell said Pembrokeshire was “uniquely placed” to lead the clean energy transition, citing floating offshore wind, hydrogen, carbon capture, sustainable aviation fuel and battery storage.
He added that the county was proud of its coastline, rivers and wildlife, and that the community was committed to protecting them.
However, he said the transition to clean energy had to be “a just one”.
Mr Tufnell said: “Pembrokeshire’s energy sector has powered the UK for decades, and still supplies 20% of the country’s energy demand.
“I am calling on the Government to protect our established energy industries by cutting carbon taxes. Failure to act puts jobs and livelihoods in industrial communities like ours at risk.
“Decarbonisation cannot come at the cost of deindustrialisation and greater deprivation in our county.”
He said households and businesses across the UK had felt the impact of conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine, and argued that Britain must strengthen energy security by making full use of its own resources rather than relying on imports.
Mr Tufnell added: “Oil and gas will remain part of our energy mix for decades to come. It therefore makes sense to use our domestic resources.
“Doing so will not only strengthen our energy security, but support British industry — protecting jobs, boosting tax revenue, cutting our trade deficit and strengthening the economy.
“I will continue to work hard to ensure we have a just energy transition, protecting the jobs and skills base of today, while building the industries of tomorrow.”
Crime
Cocaine deaths spark regional summit across West Wales
Health, police and support services unite after rising concerns in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire
COCAINE has been identified in a significant number of drug-related deaths across Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire over the past year.
Frontline teams have also reported rising incidents of violence, aggression and criminal justice involvement among people accessing drug and alcohol support services.
Dyfed-Powys Police data shows cocaine is now the force’s second most seized drug, and remains widely used across a range of settings.
In response, the Dyfed Area Planning Board brought together representatives from health, policing, commissioned services, social services and community organisations for a regional summit aimed at understanding the scale of the problem and agreeing joint action.
Hywel Dda’s Community Drug and Alcohol Team opened the event with an overview of emerging substance use trends. Dyfed-Powys Police then shared enforcement intelligence, while Public Health Wales provided a national perspective on stimulant use.
Clinical specialists also outlined the impact of cocaine use on maternity services, blood-borne virus transmission, exercise culture and the night-time economy.
The summit concluded with harm reduction training and group discussions focused on strengthening prevention, treatment pathways and community support across West Wales.
Steve Reynolds, Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service manager, said: “DDAS are incredibly encouraged by the success of this cocaine summit. Cocaine-related harms are complex and evolving, and through collaboration and open dialogue we can respond effectively.
“The summit reinforced the importance of reducing stigma, expanding access to support, and ensuring that people who use our services receive compassionate, person-centred care.
“We remain committed to working with partners in developing practical actions that improve outcomes for individuals, families and communities.”
Detective Superintendent Gareth Roberts, of Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “It was a pleasure to host this valuable event at Dyfed-Powys Police.
“As a force, we are committed to working in partnership to improve the health, wellbeing, and safety of our communities as we work hard to reduce the risk of drug-related harm.”
Craig Jones, Hywel Dda Prevention and Population Health Improvement Manager, said: “This summit marks the beginning of a coordinated regional effort to reduce harm, improve outcomes and strengthen support for individuals, families and communities affected by cocaine use.
“Partners will now work together to address availability, risk reduction and access to support.”
Anyone experiencing problems with substance use, or anyone seeking more information about the Community Drug and Alcohol Team, can visit hduhb.nhs.wales/drug-and-alcohol.
Crime
Farm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
Council awarded control of animals after magistrates hear claims of unlicensed breeding
A PEMBROKESHIRE farm owner has appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court after 26 dogs were removed from her care under animal welfare legislation.
Rachel Roberts, of Penlan Oleu, Puncheston, appeared in court on Friday (May 1) in relation to an application brought under Section 20 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 following action by Pembrokeshire County Council.
The court heard that 26 dogs had been taken into possession, including spaniels, dachshunds, poodles, chihuahuas and six puppies.
It was alleged in court that Roberts had been breeding and selling dogs without the appropriate licence, and that some animals had not received the correct vaccinations.
Magistrates granted the application, allowing Pembrokeshire County Council to take control of the dogs and make decisions about their future, including rehoming.
Roberts was also ordered to pay £99,463.35 in costs to the council.
RSPCA investigation
An RSPCA investigation was reportedly opened last year after images emerged of horses said to be in poor condition.
The Herald has also been contacted by a concerned member of the public, who provided videos and photographs which they claim show a dead horse concealed beneath wooden pallets.
The source further alleged that a person staying at the property had witnessed a horse being dragged by its neck using a tractor.
These claims have not been independently verified by The Herald.
Wider allegations
The Herald has also been told that other members of the family may have been involved in the sale of dogs from the property, with allegations that animals were later sold outside Pembrokeshire.
The paper understands that Roberts’ daughter, Eliza Roberts, has previously appeared before the courts in connection with dog-related offences.
Roberts, 36, was sentenced to three months in prison and banned from owning animals for seven years after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a fighting dog and one count of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control.
The charges followed an incident in Hanwell, near Banbury, on March 26, in which a schnoodle named Winnie was killed by two XL Bully dogs, Kobi and Kardi.
At the sentencing hearing, Roberts was ordered to pay £1,295 compensation, and a destruction order was made for the dogs.
-
News5 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community4 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime21 hours agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime19 hours agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime15 hours agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Health5 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
-
Crime21 hours agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge








