News
Whitland: Driver used ‘James Bond-style’ smoke screen to shake off police

Simon Chaplin, 62, flicked a switch on the dashboard of his red Peugeot 309 and “colossal” amounts of smoke came out of the exhaust pipe.
A DRIVER from Whitland tried to shake off a pursuing police officer by activating a James Bond-style smoke screen.
Simon Chaplin, 62, flicked a switch on the dashboard of his red Peugeot 309 and “colossal” amounts of smoke came out of the exhaust pipe.
PC Dafydd Campbell Birch caught up five miles later when Chaplin turned into a farmyard.
Chaplin had a bucket of diesel behind the passenger seat, connected to a pump with a pipe leading into the exhaust. An electrical system linked to the pump, battery and a dashboard switch.

Simon Chaplin outside Swansea Crown Court
© WALES NEWS SERVICE
At the flick of the switch diesel was dripped into the hot exhaust pipe to produce clouds of smoke.
James Belton came across the chase, going in the other direction.
“I thought his engine had blown. The smoke was covering both carriageways and I had to slow to five miles an hour,” he told police in a statement read to Swansea crown court.
PC Birch said he wanted to stop the Peugeot because it had a “DE JURE” number plate, which “didn’t look right.”
He turned around on the B4329 near Haverfordwest, west Wales, and was met by clouds of smoke as Chaplin accelerated away and flicked on the smoke device.
Pc Birch followed Chaplin through country lanes and villages, but sometimes only by the smoke because he couldn’t actually see the Peugeot.
“There was a vast amount of dense smoke coming out the back. It completely obscured the road.
“I had to slow down and keep a distance. I knew when he had turned left only by following the smoke he left behind,” he said.
“At times I came to an almost complete stop because of the smoke.
“I had to look across the top of the hedgerows to see where he had gone.
“For a while I could not see the car but in the distance I could see the smoke going up a hill towards the village of Crundale.
“I caught up with him but the smoke kept coming thick and fast.”
PC Birch cornered Chaplin in the farmyard. He got out of the Peugeot and appeared to hide something behind a post.
PC Birch told him he was watching and Chaplin retrieved a replica 9mm self loading automatic firing Beretta handgun and put his hands up.
Chaplin, recently of Llanfyrnach but now of Parc y Delyn Uchaf, Hebron, near Whitland, Carmarthen, was convicted of causing a danger to other road users by deliberately causing smoke to be emitted, but cleared of possessing an imitation firearm in a public place.
Chaplin told the jury that on January 19, six days before, he had been attacked by police officers, who dragged him out of his mechanical digger and knocked his head on the ground several times.
He said they later drove him to Withybush hospital, Haverfordwest, where they put him inside an ambulance. After being treated he was placed back into police custody but returned to hospital by the officers when he became unwell.
Chaplin said he saw PC Birch activate a flashing blue light “but sort of panicked” and feared he was going to be beaten up again.
Chaplin said the car, the smoke making “contraption” and fake Beretta–which could, in fact, only fire ball bearings–all belonged to a David Llewellyn.
He said the smoke machine had been designed to get rid of moles.
James Hartson, prosecuting, pointed out that moles lived underground but Chaplin said that during normal usage a pipe would be connected to the end of the exhaust and pushed into the molehill.
Chaplin will be sentenced later and was granted bail meanwhile.
But the judge, Recorder Elwen Evans QC, warned him that a prison sentence could be the outcome.
Climate
Henry Tufnell accused of backing ‘drill baby drill’ tactics
Environmental group says Pembrokeshire MP’s North Sea stance risks undermining climate policy
PEMBROKESHIRE MP Henry Tufnell has been accused by local environmental campaigners of backing “drill baby drill” tactics over future North Sea oil and gas production.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth made the claim after Mr Tufnell wrote an article in The Sun in March criticising the UK Government’s position on new oil and gas drilling.
The group said it wrote to the Labour MP on April 3, challenging his comments and urging him to reconsider his position.
In its letter, the group argued that further North Sea drilling would do little to reduce energy bills or improve energy security, because UK oil and gas prices are linked to international markets.
A spokesperson for Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth said Mr Tufnell’s approach was “supported by the likes of Reform UK and Donald Trump” but rejected by energy and climate experts.
The group said the UK Energy Research Centre had concluded that additional UK oil and gas production would have “negligible impact” on the cost of living, and that the priority should instead be reducing demand and investing in renewable energy.
It also pointed to Climate Change Committee analysis suggesting that job losses in fossil fuel industries would be outweighed by job creation in areas such as renewable energy, retrofitting and electric vehicles.
Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth also criticised Mr Tufnell’s call for the removal of carbon taxes in manufacturing, saying it showed a lack of understanding of the urgency of climate change.
The group said Mr Tufnell had failed to reply to its letter, despite allegedly promising to do so during a face-to-face conversation in Narberth in April.
The spokesperson added: “The fact that the MP has refused to reply to our letter suggests that he either has more respect for a London tabloid newspaper than for his own constituents or is having difficulty justifying the viewpoints he presented in The Sun.”
MP says transition must protect jobs
In response, Mr Tufnell said he was “immensely grateful” for the work of Pembrokeshire Friends of the Earth and praised the group’s campaigning on environmental issues.
He said he was proud to have supported the group last month by attending its screening of the People’s Emergency Briefing film, which highlighted threats to nature and climate.
Mr Tufnell said Pembrokeshire was “uniquely placed” to lead the clean energy transition, citing floating offshore wind, hydrogen, carbon capture, sustainable aviation fuel and battery storage.
He added that the county was proud of its coastline, rivers and wildlife, and that the community was committed to protecting them.
However, he said the transition to clean energy had to be “a just one”.
Mr Tufnell said: “Pembrokeshire’s energy sector has powered the UK for decades, and still supplies 20% of the country’s energy demand.
“I am calling on the Government to protect our established energy industries by cutting carbon taxes. Failure to act puts jobs and livelihoods in industrial communities like ours at risk.
“Decarbonisation cannot come at the cost of deindustrialisation and greater deprivation in our county.”
He said households and businesses across the UK had felt the impact of conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine, and argued that Britain must strengthen energy security by making full use of its own resources rather than relying on imports.
Mr Tufnell added: “Oil and gas will remain part of our energy mix for decades to come. It therefore makes sense to use our domestic resources.
“Doing so will not only strengthen our energy security, but support British industry — protecting jobs, boosting tax revenue, cutting our trade deficit and strengthening the economy.
“I will continue to work hard to ensure we have a just energy transition, protecting the jobs and skills base of today, while building the industries of tomorrow.”
Crime
Cocaine deaths spark regional summit across West Wales
Health, police and support services unite after rising concerns in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire
COCAINE has been identified in a significant number of drug-related deaths across Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire over the past year.
Frontline teams have also reported rising incidents of violence, aggression and criminal justice involvement among people accessing drug and alcohol support services.
Dyfed-Powys Police data shows cocaine is now the force’s second most seized drug, and remains widely used across a range of settings.
In response, the Dyfed Area Planning Board brought together representatives from health, policing, commissioned services, social services and community organisations for a regional summit aimed at understanding the scale of the problem and agreeing joint action.
Hywel Dda’s Community Drug and Alcohol Team opened the event with an overview of emerging substance use trends. Dyfed-Powys Police then shared enforcement intelligence, while Public Health Wales provided a national perspective on stimulant use.
Clinical specialists also outlined the impact of cocaine use on maternity services, blood-borne virus transmission, exercise culture and the night-time economy.
The summit concluded with harm reduction training and group discussions focused on strengthening prevention, treatment pathways and community support across West Wales.
Steve Reynolds, Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service manager, said: “DDAS are incredibly encouraged by the success of this cocaine summit. Cocaine-related harms are complex and evolving, and through collaboration and open dialogue we can respond effectively.
“The summit reinforced the importance of reducing stigma, expanding access to support, and ensuring that people who use our services receive compassionate, person-centred care.
“We remain committed to working with partners in developing practical actions that improve outcomes for individuals, families and communities.”
Detective Superintendent Gareth Roberts, of Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “It was a pleasure to host this valuable event at Dyfed-Powys Police.
“As a force, we are committed to working in partnership to improve the health, wellbeing, and safety of our communities as we work hard to reduce the risk of drug-related harm.”
Craig Jones, Hywel Dda Prevention and Population Health Improvement Manager, said: “This summit marks the beginning of a coordinated regional effort to reduce harm, improve outcomes and strengthen support for individuals, families and communities affected by cocaine use.
“Partners will now work together to address availability, risk reduction and access to support.”
Anyone experiencing problems with substance use, or anyone seeking more information about the Community Drug and Alcohol Team, can visit hduhb.nhs.wales/drug-and-alcohol.
Crime
Farm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
Council awarded control of animals after magistrates hear claims of unlicensed breeding
A PEMBROKESHIRE farm owner has appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court after 26 dogs were removed from her care under animal welfare legislation.
Rachel Roberts, of Penlan Oleu, Puncheston, appeared in court on Friday (May 1) in relation to an application brought under Section 20 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 following action by Pembrokeshire County Council.
The court heard that 26 dogs had been taken into possession, including spaniels, dachshunds, poodles, chihuahuas and six puppies.
It was alleged in court that Roberts had been breeding and selling dogs without the appropriate licence, and that some animals had not received the correct vaccinations.
Magistrates granted the application, allowing Pembrokeshire County Council to take control of the dogs and make decisions about their future, including rehoming.
Roberts was also ordered to pay £99,463.35 in costs to the council.
RSPCA investigation
An RSPCA investigation was reportedly opened last year after images emerged of horses said to be in poor condition.
The Herald has also been contacted by a concerned member of the public, who provided videos and photographs which they claim show a dead horse concealed beneath wooden pallets.
The source further alleged that a person staying at the property had witnessed a horse being dragged by its neck using a tractor.
These claims have not been independently verified by The Herald.
Wider allegations
The Herald has also been told that other members of the family may have been involved in the sale of dogs from the property, with allegations that animals were later sold outside Pembrokeshire.
The paper understands that Roberts’ daughter, Eliza Roberts, has previously appeared before the courts in connection with dog-related offences.
Roberts, 36, was sentenced to three months in prison and banned from owning animals for seven years after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a fighting dog and one count of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control.
The charges followed an incident in Hanwell, near Banbury, on March 26, in which a schnoodle named Winnie was killed by two XL Bully dogs, Kobi and Kardi.
At the sentencing hearing, Roberts was ordered to pay £1,295 compensation, and a destruction order was made for the dogs.
-
News5 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community4 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime12 hours agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime10 hours agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime2 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Health5 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
-
Crime5 days agoMan used vulnerable victim’s bank card at Milford Haven Tesco
-
Crime12 hours agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge










Tomos
December 7, 2015 at 1:38 pm
I’m sorry but in my opinion he does sound a bit er umm ……… poor dab
replica hand gun, smoke device in the car?
Does he think spectre dress up as Dyfed-Powys police officers ?
PS I think you need to say he CLAIMED the cops tried to beat him up rather than they actually did
Geraline George
December 7, 2015 at 8:04 pm
He is a nasty piece of work. He has been eveding the police for years and seems to be above the law. He called to my house once and dislocated my shoulder. He was slippery enough to get off in court as he hires a good London Lawyer. He has terroised elderly women in Llanfrynach for years and always has gotten off. In one instance he even took the police to court for not arresting him soon enough. He has built himself a huge house in Hebron and done very well. No doubt he will be let off once again and if he is not he will feign illness or something. Interesting to see what will happen to this slippery fish. Others go down for a lot less than he has done. It is us the people who pay for this waste of space.
Alex
December 10, 2015 at 9:25 pm
He must have been convicted for something else as well, you don’t face jail for emitting smoke even if it causes a danger to other road users.
Roger
December 12, 2015 at 6:04 pm
In respect of the comments posted:
1) Tomos, thugs in uniform did cause him actual bodily harm, I saw the results, and so will the court in due course.
2) Germoline (sic) what a load of unhinged claptrap. I notice you failed to mention you were once his Sister In Law. Keep taking the pills.
3) Alex that is an uninformed assumption.
I have known Simon for over 30 years. He is a non-violent decent individual who I am proud to call a friend
Tomos
December 13, 2015 at 5:18 pm
@ Roger:
do you really think so? what kind of person sets up a smoke screen device in his car, drives away from the police when they try and stop him, tries to hide a fake gun when they arrive at his home ?
I guess as you’re his “friend” you must be Felix Lighter to his James Bond? LOL