Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Charges lead to decrease in car park use

Published

on

shutterstock_295391240CAR PARK usage in six car parks has decreased following the introduction of parking charges last year, a report has found.

In July 2015, Pembrokeshire County Council introduced charging mechanisms into six car parks that previously did not charge.

Car parking charges were introduced in High Street (St Dogmaels), Station Hill (Goodwick), St Thomas Green (Haverfordwest), Rifleman’s Field (Haverfordwest), Mart Ground (Crymych) and Station Road (Pembroke).

A review was carried out to look at the impact of the charges and that found that the usage of the car parks had decreased due to the new charges.

Only St Dogmaels experienced a rise in its usage in the past year.

It was also stated in the report that usage of the Rifelman’s Field car park had dropped considerably.

On Monday, September 12, Cabinet members were presented with the findings but they did not mention the drop in usage at five of the six car parks.

Cabinet member for Transportation, Cllr Rob Lewis said: “Cabinet carried out a review of non-charging car parks and introduced a charging structure on some of the parks in this authority. This took place due to a scrutiny report which happened on June 4.

“We introduced charging into six sites in Pembrokeshire back in July last year and we added that we have a report back 12 months later to monitor the impact the charges have had.

“Some of the findings are similar throughout all of them but I will highlight a few things that have been picked up.

“We’ve introduced pop and shop bays in quite a number of Car parks and these have proved quite successful and some of the businesses have recognised that they are being used for the right purposes.

“In St Dogmaels, we are currently undertaking further discussions on the impact of the RNLI, obviously we don’t want to impact on their very important work so we want to look further at what we can do to support the RNLI in St Dogmaels.

“In Crymych, we’re looking at taking on further discussions as the community council have come forward with a proposal on how we could manage the car park in the future so we will have further discussions to look at the options and they are quite keen.”

Cllr Huw George said: “I don’t think people fully realise the challenges we are under and I’m looking at the charges, for example 4 hours is 60p, that compares well with other authorities because if you go to other authorities you’re talking £2 for the same sort of time and I hope the people of Pembrokeshire will come forward and say how can we help in keeping a service.”

Cllr Jamie Adams said it was pleasing that the council had recognised that the council has realised that there are some areas where charging is not appropriate.

As part of a number of recommendations Charges and Tariffs in Station Hill, Goodwick, will remain unchanged.

At St Thomas Green in Haverfordwest there is no proposal to change any of the tariffs or charge structure.

There will also be no change in Station Road in Pembroke despite all three seeing reduced usage.

Only Rifleman’s Field in Haverfordwest will see a change in its 24 hour tariff to 0.80p in order to encourage workers to park and reduce some on street issues.

The 4 hour tariff will also be removed in the hope that people wishing to park for 4 hours can use the St Thomas Green car park.

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. mitolyn official

    January 27, 2026 at 2:34 pm

    **mitolyn official**

    Mitolyn is a carefully developed, plant-based formula created to help support metabolic efficiency and encourage healthy, lasting weight management.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Drink drive allegation denied

Published

on

Trial date fixed by magistrates

A MOTORIST has denied a drink-driving allegation when the case came before magistrates.

Michael Miles, 39, of Milford Road, Johnston, Haverfordwest, appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court charged with driving a motor vehicle when the alcohol level was above the prescribed limit.

The court heard that on January 24, 2026, it is alleged that Miles drove a Ford Transit on the A477 at Jordanston after consuming so much alcohol, that the proportion in his breath was 52 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, exceeding the legal limit of 35.

Miles entered a not guilty plea on February 10, 2026.

The matter was adjourned for trial on May 21 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court. He was remanded on unconditional bail.

 

Continue Reading

Crime11 hours ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community21 hours ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime1 day ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime2 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government2 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime4 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week