News
Prosecutions to take place over 2011 oil refinery explosion
THE HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE (HSE) is to prosecute Valero Energy UK Limited (Formerly Chevron Limited) and B&A Contracts Limited over an explosion in June 2011 which killed four refinery workers.
The two firms are to face charges under Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
The charges relate to the deaths of Dennis Riley, Robert Broome, Andrew Jenkins and Julie Jones and major injuries to Andrew Phillips who were all working on the Amine Recovery Unit when it exploded on June 2, 2011. Chevron sold the refinery to Valero in August 2011.
The HSE’s deputy director field operations, Jane Lassey, said: “Following a painstaking and extremely thorough investigation, much of which was conducted jointly with Dyfed Powys Police, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to bring criminal charges.”
The defendants are due to appear Haverfordwest Magistrates Court on September 24.
As the families mark seven years without their loved ones, the Jenkins family told The Herald last month they will ‘not get closure until one or both of the companies involved is successfully prosecuted’.
The news comes on the same day that First Minister Carwyn Jones joined Valero executives and other dignitaries at Pembroke Refinery for the ceremony to symbolically cut the first turf for Valero’s new Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Cogeneration Unit, which is the first project to receive planning permission as a Development of National Significance process under the Planning (Wales) Act 2015.
Located within the boundaries of the Haven Waterway Enterprise Zone and the Swansea Bay City Deal region, the 45 megawatt project will provide power to the refinery, as well as supplement the refinery’s steam demand, and will help Valero to achieve improved energy and cost efficiencies to ensure Pembroke Refinery continues to be successful in the competitive global market.
Following the ceremony the First Minister also addressed members of the refinery workforce and invited guests from the Pembrokeshire energy sector, local councillors and members of the Haven Waterway Enterprise Zone and Swansea Bay City Deal at a celebratory lunch of fusion Tex-Mex cuisine and Welsh produce.
First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones, said: “This announcement is a major boost to the economy of south west Wales which will allow the company to grow and compete successfully in a global marketplace as we face leaving the European Union. We enjoy an excellent relationship with one of our anchor companies, that continues to show a commitment to the Haven Waterway Enterprise Zone. With the industry facing numerous challenges, the company keeps investing which is a true testament to the workforce and also the workforce in Pembrokeshire.”
Ed Tomp, Valero Vice President and General Manager, commented: “Today marks another major milestone in this project, which is a significant investment by Valero in Pembroke Refinery as well as a demonstration of the company’s commitment to the Welsh economy. We are delighted to have been able to welcome all our guests, especially the First Minister, and we are extremely grateful for the deep and widespread support we have received throughout the course of the project.”
Community
Local lettings policy helps sustain rural communities and Welsh language
NEW affordable housing developments in North Pembrokeshire are helping local people remain in their communities while supporting rural schools and the Welsh language.
Since 2022, West Wales Housing Association has completed new social housing schemes at Parc Brynach in Dinas Cross and Golwg y Llan in Eglwyswrw.
A further development, Parc Nantwen in Dinas Cross, is nearing completion, with new tenants expected to move in within weeks.
The homes have been welcomed locally in an area where affordability remains a significant challenge for many residents.
West Wales Housing Association introduced a local lettings policy giving priority to applicants with strong links to Eglwyswrw and Dinas Cross.
For the Parc Nantwen development, applicants from the Dinas, Newport and Bro Gwaun communities were prioritised.
The approach has meant a number of local people have been able to secure homes who may otherwise have lost out to applicants with weaker links to the area.
The policy is also seen as important in communities where the Welsh language remains strong. Eglwyswrw and Dinas are served by Welsh-medium primary education at Ysgol Eglwyswrw and Ysgol Bro Ingli in Newport.
The impact is already being felt. Following the completion of Parc Brynach, pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli rose from 86 to more than 100.
Newport and Dinas county councillor Huw Murphy praised West Wales Housing Association for working closely with Dinas Community Council on the lettings policy.

Cllr Murphy said: “The recent lettings policy developed by WWHA, following close liaison with Dinas Community Council, has worked well in enabling houses to be allocated to local people with strong links to their community, where in the past they may have lost out to applicants with more tenuous connections.
“The benefit of a robust local lettings policy has resulted in increased pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli, while also placing a strong emphasis on protecting the Welsh language, which is very much welcomed.
“I hope that any future affordable housing developments will mirror the recent lettings policy implemented in Dinas Cross and serve as a template elsewhere in Pembrokeshire.”
Supporters say the developments are helping young people and families stay in rural Pembrokeshire, supporting village schools and safeguarding the social and linguistic fabric of North Pembrokeshire’s communities at a time when many rural areas face an ageing population.
Community
Dog rescued after multi-agency response in Pembroke Dock
AN ALSATIAN dog was rescued in Pembroke Dock after falling down an embankment and becoming trapped near the water’s edge.
Fire crews from Pembroke Dock and Haverfordwest were called to the incident near Cleddau Bridge Business Park at 12:41am on Thursday (May 21), following reports that the dog, named Lunar, was unable to climb back to safety.
The rescue involved a multi-agency response, with Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service working alongside HM Coastguard, the RNLI and Drone Search and Rescue teams.
Lunar was located and safely recovered by the RNLI boat team before being brought back to dry land and reunited with her grateful owners.
A photo released after the rescue shows Lunar, her owners, and members of the teams involved.
Cymraeg
Welsh language report says students face mixed experiences across colleges and universities
A NEW report has found that Welsh-speaking students face inconsistent access to Welsh language services across Wales’ colleges and universities.
The research, published by the Welsh Language Commissioner on Monday (May 25), gathered responses from more than 1,500 further and higher education students.
It examined four key areas: whether students can submit written work in Welsh, choose accommodation with Welsh-speaking students, access a Welsh-speaking personal tutor, and receive wellbeing support through the medium of Welsh.
The report also looked at the wider language culture on campuses, including how institutions promote Welsh language services and support students to use Welsh naturally in academic and social settings.
Osian Llywelyn, Deputy Welsh Language Commissioner, said colleges and universities had a vital role in helping students use Welsh as part of everyday life.
He said: “Given the importance of sustaining and developing the continued use of the Welsh language, it is essential to recognise the key role that further education colleges and higher education institutions play in ensuring that students have the opportunity to use Welsh naturally as part of their academic and social lives.
“While it is encouraging to see strong examples of good practice, that experience is not consistent across the sector. As a result, we have identified clear improvement actions, and we will be asking the relevant institutions to address them.”
Five improvement actions have been identified. These include standardising Welsh-medium assessment arrangements, proactively offering Welsh language services rather than simply making them available on request, addressing gaps in workforce Welsh-language skills, strengthening students’ sense of belonging through Welsh, and improving self-assessment and monitoring.
James Owen, Chief Executive of Medr, the body responsible for funding and regulating tertiary education in Wales, said the findings showed the need for more support across the sector.
He said Medr’s new Welsh Language Condition would place a clearer focus on providers promoting and supporting the use of Cymraeg, and on creating formal and informal opportunities for staff and learners to develop their Welsh-language skills.
Ioan Matthews, Chief Executive of Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, said students’ experiences of Welsh at college or university could influence their willingness and ability to use the language later in the workplace.
He said the report showed the need for the Welsh-language experience to extend “well beyond the classroom”.
The report will be officially launched at the Welsh Language Commissioner’s stand at the Urdd Eisteddfod in Anglesey at 11:00am on Monday (May 25).
-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community5 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime1 day agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime1 day agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime1 day agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News1 day agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime1 day agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge







