News
Chevron blast: Who is actually being prosecuted?
CLAIMS by Valero Energy UK Ltd, the company operating Pembroke refinery, that it is not being prosecuted by HSE over a fatal blast in 2011 have been contradicted by the Health and Safety Executive.
But the incident clearly took place when Chevron was at the helm – so why is Valero being prosecuted, whilst Chevron is not?
The answer is about corporate structures, and the law governing companies.
Chevron Corporation in the USA will not face prosecution, as it sold the company which operated the oil refinery to Valero Energy Corporation, another American firm, in 2011, two months after the explosion which killed four people.
That operating company, which was originally founded in 1916 as Texaco Limited, became Chevron Limited in 2006, and then Valero Energy Limited on 10 August 2011.
On 31 December 2013 Valero Energy Limited became Valero Energy UK Limited during a corporate restructuring exercise.
In effect, the company Chevron Limited, which was the company operating on behalf of the American oil giant in the UK is still operating, under its new name Valero Energy UK Ltd.
In law, a company is a legal person, meaning it can be prosecuted and found guilty of an offence, just like a real person. Even if a person changes his or her name, a prosecution can still be brought for an alleged crime before the name change.
In this case, the companies being prosecuted by HSE are B & A Contracts Limited, and the firm founded 1916 as Texaco Limited which is now called Valero Energy UK Ltd. If you think that is confusing consider that the refinery is now being run by Valero Energy Limited, a different legal entity to Valero Energy UK Limited – but both still owned by Valero in the USA.
If they were being accurate, Valero would have to admit they were being prosecuted – but as one company they own, but as another, and that Chevron Corporation is completely home and dry.
Confirming that there had been confusion regarding who exactly was being prosecuted, a spokesperson from the Health and Safety Executive told The Herald: “Valero Energy UK Limited is one of the companies that HSE is prosecuting. The company number is 00145197. That company was previously named Valero Energy Limited and previous to that Chevron Limited. It should be noted that the current operator of the refinery now is Valero Energy Limited, which is a different legal entity.”
A Valero spokesperson said: “We can confirm we have been informed that the Health & Safety Executive is to bring proceedings against Chevron in relation to the incident at Pembroke Refinery in 2011.”
“Valero itself is named as a party to the proceedings simply because of its subsequent acquisition of the refinery.”
The Herald does not agree that proceedings are being taken against Chevron in any way.
The families have been asked for a comment.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
Crime
Pembroke Dock woman denies drink-driving
A PEMBROKE DOCK woman has denied driving while over the alcohol limit.
Joanna Whittall, 39, of West Merrion Drive, Pembroke Dock, is accused of driving a Ford Focus on West Merrion Drive on December 30, 2025, with 43 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.
The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.
Whittall pleaded not guilty at an earlier hearing and appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for further case management.
She was released on unconditional bail.
A trial is listed for June 4 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court.
-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community5 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime1 day agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime1 day agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime1 day agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News1 day agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Health5 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire






