Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Rapist councillor finally resigns following child sex conviction

Published

on

A COUNTY COUNCILLOR convicted of raping a child has finally voluntarily resigned.

The Herald has seen documentation this morning (Aug 1) which confirms David ‘Dai’ Boswell has resigned from his position.

David Boswell, 58, formerly Mayor of Pembroke, was jailed last month after being found guilty of raping a girl and abusing another, when both were 10-years-old.

The resignation means that a by-election for the Pembroke St Mary North seat can now be arranged by Pembrokeshire County Council.

Boswell, of Bush Street in Pembroke Dock, had been elected to represent Pembroke St Mary North in May 2017, going on to become the Town Mayor.

Boswell then had to stand down from that role after less than three months due to the charges from the police.

A council spokesman told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “The Chief Executive of Pembrokeshire County Council has received a letter of resignation from David Boswell in relation to his role as County Councillor and also as Pembroke Town Councillor.

“As Returning Officer, Mr Ian Westley is making immediate arrangements to hold a by-election for the County Council ward of Pembroke St Mary North and also for the Town Council if called.

“The Council will, together with the Welsh Local Government Association, be lobbying Welsh Government for a change in legislation to address the lack of immediate powers of suspension following conviction and sentence for such serious offences.

“The Council has, throughout the past year, carried out extensive efforts with its partner agencies – including the Town Council – to put safeguarding first and to ensure that Mr Boswell did not carry out ward work, attend Council events or attend meetings which would place him in contact with, or make any key decisions in relation to, children.

“The Council has also, since the date of conviction, made every effort to bring the matter to a swift conclusion.

“Our thoughts go out to the victims and families affected and we thank them for their immense courage in bringing this matter forward. We also thank Dyfed-Powys police who have worked closely with the Council throughout this difficult period.”

 

Health

Withybush Emergency Department wins national award for green improvements

Published

on

WITHYBUSH HOSPITAL’S Emergency Department has won national recognition for work to cut waste, reduce emissions and save money.

The department, based at Hywel Dda University Health Board’s Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest, has been awarded Bronze accreditation by the Royal College of Emergency Medicine as part of its Green ED programme.

The scheme recognises emergency departments which introduce practical changes to reduce their environmental impact while maintaining safe patient care.

At Withybush, the work was led by a small team made up of consultant Dr Vicki Hughes, resident doctor Dr Lizzie Caisley, ED secretary Janet Bird, and ED clinical fellow Dr Oyewale Osundeyi.

Their changes included replacing plastic medicine pots with paper alternatives, reducing unnecessary cannulas, improving waste segregation, and reviewing computer screen brightness and older equipment to identify where energy savings could be made.

Dr Osundeyi led a project to increase recycling and reduce waste sent for incineration.

He said: “Trying to reduce waste comes with a lot of challenges, because you are trying to change people’s habits and trying to make sure people understand the importance, but we were lucky to get a lot of people involved from the estates team to the nursing departments who helped us achieve this.”

The department also targeted unnecessary coagulation testing in admission bloods, a project led by Dr Caisley.

The change is expected to save around £30,000 a year, as well as cutting carbon emissions.

Dr Caisley said: “By reviewing our routine practices, I was able to identify simple changes that benefit both patients and the environment. It shows how quality improvement work can deliver meaningful financial and environmental savings.”

ED secretary Janet Bird supported the work by gathering information, co-ordinating meetings and helping to put sustainability plans into action.

She said she also created a Green ED information board and presented the programme at resident doctor induction sessions to raise awareness of the changes already introduced.

Dr Hughes said: “A group of individuals, cutting across resident doctors, nurses, administrative staff, and myself as a senior consultant, all got involved in this work.

“There were many different elements to achieving this bronze award. The next step is making sure the team is supported to build on it.”

Withybush was one of eleven emergency departments across England and Wales recognised through the programme.

Together, those departments are estimated to have achieved £216,000 in cost savings and 131,502kg of CO2e savings through more sustainable working practices.

Dr Ian Higginson, President of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, said: “On behalf of the College – a massive congratulations to the team at Withybush General Hospital who have been awarded a Bronze accreditation through our GreenED programme.

“This accomplishment has been driven by a dedicated, innovative team, who have reduced emissions, as well as waste and saved costs – all to tackle the climate crisis.

“A healthier planet means healthier patients, and we have a duty to act to protect both.

“As a College, we are proud to support Emergency Departments across the UK, and beyond, in playing their part to become more environmentally friendly.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Offshore surveys begin for major Welsh renewables project

Published

on

AWEL Y MOR has begun offshore survey work as the north Wales wind farm project moves into its next phase following the award of a UK Government Contract for Difference.

The project, led by RWE, could become one of Wales’ biggest renewable energy schemes of the decade if it secures a final investment decision.

Once built off the north Wales coast, Awel y Môr would be capable of generating electricity equivalent to 22.5 per cent of Wales’ current annual energy use.

Contractors GEO and TGS will carry out geotechnical and geophysical surveys across the 78km² array area and along the export cable route to landfall between Rhyl and Prestatyn.

The work will help refine the final design of the offshore wind farm and identify seabed conditions that could affect construction.

TGS will undertake geophysical surveys using high-resolution imaging to map the seabed in detail, including boulders and other features.

GEO will carry out geotechnical investigations using cone penetration testing and vibrocore sampling to build on previous borehole surveys and research carried out at Bangor University.

Jo Pickard, senior consents manager for RWE, said: “This additional survey data will enable the team to make design refinements and fine tune our methods for offshore construction, which is currently planned to begin in 2029.

“Our next step is to reach a final investment decision. Onshore construction is planned to begin in 2027 with the onshore substation, followed by the cable route in 2028.

“We will of course keep all relevant stakeholders informed and updated as our plans progress.”

GEO will deploy two vessels, each working on different areas of seabed.

Kim Sillemann, managing director at GEO, said the company was proud to have been awarded the contract by RWE.

RWE is developing Awel y Môr with project partners Stadtwerke München, which holds 30 per cent, and Siemens Financial Services, which holds 10 per cent.

The company has more than two decades’ experience in UK offshore wind, having developed and built the country’s first commercial-scale offshore wind farm at North Hoyle, also off the north Wales coast.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Charity golf day to support cancer awareness after Derek’s diagnosis

Published

on

LOCAL businesses are being asked to support a charity golf day in Rosemarket this July after organiser Derek Rowlands was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer.

Derek’s Charity Golf Day will take place at Dawn Til Dusk Golf Club on Friday, July 10, with proceeds going to Neuroendocrine Cancer UK.

The event will be played in a Texas Scramble format, with teams of four invited to enter at £80 per team. Tee times will run from 8:00am.

Derek was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer in 2023. His illness was identified early, allowing him to undergo surgery soon after diagnosis. He continues to receive monthly treatment and has organised the event to raise both funds and awareness.

Neuroendocrine cancers can develop in different parts of the body, including the digestive system, pancreas and lungs. Symptoms can often be vague, meaning some patients are diagnosed late.

Local businesses are being invited to support the event by sponsoring a hole for a minimum donation of £100, donating raffle or competition prizes, entering a team, or helping to promote the day.

There are up to 18 hole sponsorship opportunities available, with sponsors able to display banners or promotional materials at their designated hole.

Anyone wishing to enter a team, sponsor the event, donate a prize or find out more can contact Derek on 07823 323 134.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government4 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime1 day ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg2 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime3 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community3 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health4 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Popular This Week