News
Fire breaks out at Penally’s sister camp for asylum seekers in Kent
A FIRE has broken out at a former military barracks being used to house asylum seekers in Kent – the sister facility to the former Penally Army Training Centre in Penally, near Tenby.
Images posted online by service users at the camp show thick smoke billowing from one of the blocks at Napier Barracks near Folkestone. The facility has the capacity to hold 400 men but in recent days some have been transferred to hotels after a Covid-19 outbreak. At least 120 men at the barracks have tested positive for coronavirus, prompting panic among residents, some of whom took to sleeping outside in sub-zero temperatures for fear of infection.
Kent fire and rescue service said eight fire engines had been sent to the barracks to deal with the blaze and advised people living and working in the surrounding area to close their windows and doors as a precaution due to smoke.
There are 16 blocks in the camp, most of which hold up to 28 men. The blocks have two toilets and showers and the men eat together in a communal canteen.
More to follow…
VIDEO FROM INSIDE THE CAMP
News
Welsh Secretary holds first call with new First Minister
Jo Stevens and Rhun ap Iorwerth discuss poverty, public services, clean energy, steelmaking and economic growth
WELSH Secretary Jo Stevens has held her first call with Wales’ new First Minister Rhun ap Iorwerth following the recent Senedd election.
The call took place today, Monday (May 18), with Ms Stevens congratulating Mr ap Iorwerth on Plaid Cymru’s election results and his appointment as First Minister.
The Welsh Secretary said it was important for the UK and Welsh Governments to work constructively together on shared priorities.
Those issues include the cost of living, poverty, public services, economic growth and the delivery of clean energy infrastructure in Wales.
Ms Stevens also raised the importance of collaboration on Welsh steelmaking and the transition at Port Talbot, as well as growth funds, defence and national security.
The conversation follows a call last week between Prime Minister Keir Starmer and the new First Minister, during which Mr Starmer also congratulated him on his appointment.
The Prime Minister has offered to meet Mr ap Iorwerth in person in June to discuss shared issues and priorities.
Health
Pharmacy services review launched across west Wales
Residents asked to help shape future provision in Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion
PEOPLE across Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion are being asked to give their views on the future of community pharmacy services.
Hywel Dda University Health Board has launched a consultation on its updated draft Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment, which looks at current pharmacy provision, any gaps in services, and what may be needed in future.
Health boards in Wales have been required since October 2021 to publish a Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment. The document must be updated every five years and is used to help guide decisions about how pharmacy services are developed and improved.
The latest draft assessment has been prepared following engagement with community pharmacy contractors and members of the public earlier this year.
The health board is now inviting further feedback before a final version is published later in 2026.
The survey opened on Monday (May 18) and will close on Friday, July 17.
Residents can take part online, pick up a paper copy from their local pharmacy, or request a copy by emailing [email protected] or calling 0300 303 8322 and selecting option five.
Rhian Bond, Assistant Director of Primary Care for Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “This is an important opportunity for people to share their experiences of community pharmacy services and tell us how they could be improved.
“Community pharmacies play a vital role in supporting people’s health and wellbeing. They are often the first point of contact for advice, treatment and support.
“By providing feedback you can help us ensure services are accessible, effective and meet the needs of communities now and in the future.”
The final Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment will be published later this year on the health board’s website, along with a summary of the feedback received.
Business
Halifax could disappear from high streets after 173 years
Only two Halifax branches remain in west Wales as banking giant considers major brand shake-up
HALIFAX could disappear from UK high streets after more than 170 years under plans being considered by Lloyds Banking Group.
The banking giant is understood to be looking at phasing out the Halifax name as part of a wider review of its brands, with Lloyds expected to become the main retail banking name in England and Wales.
If the plans go ahead, the move would mark the end of one of Britain’s best-known financial brands, which began life in 1852 as the Halifax Permanent Benefit Building Society.
No final decision has yet been announced, but reports suggest new Halifax account openings could be stopped later this year, with existing customers gradually moved across to Lloyds.
The Herald understands that branch banking in west Wales has already been significantly reduced, with only two Halifax-branded branches currently remaining in the region — in Llanelli and Swansea.
Customers in Pembrokeshire no longer have access to a Halifax branch, with banking services instead directed through Lloyds Bank branches, including Haverfordwest. Carmarthenshire customers are similarly directed to Lloyds Bank in Carmarthen.
The possible disappearance of Halifax comes amid continuing pressure on high street banking, with many branches already closing as more customers move to mobile and online banking.
Consumer groups have warned that the steady loss of bank branches risks leaving elderly customers, vulnerable people and small businesses without easy access to face-to-face banking.

For many towns across west Wales, the loss of familiar banking names has become part of a wider decline in high street services, alongside the closure of post offices, shops and public services.
Halifax became one of the country’s biggest mortgage lenders and was for decades associated with savings, home ownership and local branch banking. It later became part of HBOS before Lloyds took over the group during the financial crisis.
A final decision on the future of the Halifax brand is expected as Lloyds sets out its next strategic plans.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime5 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station





