News
Family member shopped drinker
AT HAVERFORDWEST MAGISTRATES’ COURT on Tuesday, a man from Pembroke appeared to face a charge of being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the limit. Craig Stuart Lewis, aged 43 of Rockley Park pleaded guilty to the offence, however prosecutor, Vaughan Pritchard-Jones made representations to have the charge changed.
Pritchard-Jones said: “On August 30, police received a call from a member of the defendant’s family stating he had driven a vehicle and had been drinking. Lewis was found in his car 200 yards away from his home and blew a reading of 75.
The family refused to make a statement but the prosecution want to see if there’s any evidence that he was driving. If we can prove the car was outside his home and he moved it, then the charge would be drink drive.” Magistrates adjourned the case until December 1 and was released on unconditional bail.
Health
First Minister hits back at Paul Davies over Withybush ‘confusion’
Row deepens over emergency services wording as health board decision sparks political clash
A POLITICAL row has erupted over planned changes to services at Withybush Hospital after First Minister Eluned Morgan accused Preseli Pembrokeshire MS Paul Davies of “scaremongering” about the future of emergency care in the county.
The dispute centres on a decision by Hywel Dda University Health Board to remove general emergency surgery from the hospital — a move that has prompted strong criticism from local campaigners and politicians concerned about patient access and travel times.

In a social media post earlier this week, Mr Davies said he was “appalled” that the Health Board had voted to remove what he described as “general emergency services” from Withybush, warning that the decision would undermine the sustainability of the hospital’s A&E department and force patients to travel further for urgent treatment.
However, the First Minister rejected that characterisation, saying the decision relates specifically to emergency surgery rather than the closure of accident and emergency services.
She said: “There’s a big difference between emergency services and emergency surgery. One affects the entire population, one affects around five people a week. You can’t shout ‘crisis’ at the first draft and quietly edit it to something completely different once the facts catch up.”
Ms Morgan also pushed back against claims that services at Withybush have been systematically downgraded, adding: “It’s still there, it’s still providing services.”
Accountability and responsibility
Health is fully devolved to Wales, meaning the Welsh Government is responsible for NHS policy, funding and oversight. While health boards make operational decisions locally, they remain accountable to Welsh ministers.
The Welsh Conservatives have consistently argued that pressures within NHS Wales — including waiting times, workforce shortages and service centralisation — are the result of policy decisions made by successive Labour-led governments in Cardiff Bay.
Mr Davies has pledged to raise the issue directly with ministers and has called on the Welsh Government to intervene, describing the Health Board’s decision as “catastrophic”.
What is changing?
Hywel Dda University Health Board says centralising certain emergency surgical procedures is intended to address staffing pressures and improve patient safety, with some cases expected to be transferred to other hospitals within the health board area.
Accident and emergency services at Withybush are not being removed and will remain in place.
The debate has reignited long-standing concern in Pembrokeshire about the future of hospital services, with previous changes over the past two decades prompting repeated public campaigns and protests.
As political tensions escalate, attention is now turning to whether Welsh ministers will step in — or whether the Health Board’s decision will proceed as planned.
Charity
Fishguard RNLI volunteer steps down after more than 50 years of saving lives
A DEVOTED volunteer and former employee at Fishguard RNLI has stepped down from his final role after more than five decades of outstanding service to the local community and those in need at sea.
After 50 years of unwavering commitment, Chris Williams has retired from the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), bringing to a close a remarkable chapter defined by professionalism, compassion and lifesaving impact.
Chris and his wife Brenda returned to the area in 1974 when he took up the position of second engineer with British Rail Ferries. Shortly afterwards, he was approached by then assistant mechanic Roy Williams, who, anticipating his own retirement, recognised the station would soon need a new mechanic. Chris joined the lifeboat crew and answered his first callout in 1976.
He was already closely connected to the station. His mother had been a founding member of the local Women’s Lifeboat Guild, raising vital funds for the charity, and Chris had often helped with fundraising efforts.

In 1979, when full-time station mechanic Noel Murrow retired, Chris stepped into the role. Having spent five years sailing between Fishguard and Rosslare, he decided to dedicate himself fully to the station — a position he held until 2005.
In 2006, Chris became the station’s Volunteer Water Safety Advisor, leading community engagement initiatives to promote safety around the coast — a role he carried out until 2021. Alongside this, he took on additional responsibility in 2016 as Launch Authority, a crucial volunteer position coordinating communication between the lifeboat station and HM Coastguard.
Following the departure of the previous Lifeboat Operations Manager (LOM) in 2021, Chris stepped in to lead the station on a temporary basis. In 2024, he was formally appointed to the role. As LOM, he served as station manager and the key link between Fishguard RNLI and RNLI headquarters in Poole, a responsibility he fulfilled with diligence and dedication until his retirement this month.
Over the course of his career, Chris served aboard three successive classes of lifeboat as they came into service.
The first was the Watson class lifeboat Howard Marryat. Reflecting on those early days, Chris recalled:
“On a rough night you got wet as you hit the water at the bottom of the slip — and you stayed wet until you got back.”
The Watson was followed by the Arun class lifeboat Marie Winstone. Chris described her as:
“A huge step up in speed — 18 knots — and space; you could almost hold a dance in the wheelhouse. She was highly manoeuvrable, but a very uncomfortable sea boat. She had a vicious roll and could slam so hard in a heavy sea you thought the fillings would come out of your teeth.”
His favourite, however, is the current Trent class lifeboat Blue Peter VII, which arrived on station in 1994.
Among many memorable moments, Chris described his most poignant as being part of the crew tasked with taking a replacement lifeboat to Newlyn the day after the loss of the Penlee lifeboat Solomon Browne in 1981 — the last time an RNLI lifeboat and all her crew were lost at sea. Battling severe conditions, the journey from Fishguard took 25 hours. On arrival, they were met by dozens of local people cheering and waving in support.
While his later years as LOM brought different challenges from those faced at sea, Chris approached each with the experience and professionalism gained from a lifetime of service.
Asked what he is most proud of after more than half a century with the RNLI, Chris answered in characteristically understated fashion:
“Simple. On the certificate of service the Area Operations Manager recently gave me, it says that during the 50 years I was involved with Fishguard Lifeboat in various roles, at least 114 lives were saved. That’s it.”
Reflecting on his career, he added: “Over the years it’s been a real privilege to work with crew members from such diverse backgrounds who are united by one purpose — saving lives at sea.”
Throughout his service, Chris has been supported by his wife Brenda, who was presented with a bouquet of flowers on behalf of the RNLI during the ceremony marking his retirement.
Recruitment for the role of Lifeboat Operations Manager has now been completed, and the new post holder will be announced shortly.
Caption: The crew of Fishguard RNLI in 1980 lined up in front of the lifeboat Howard Marryat. Pictured left to right are = Chris Williams, Huw Evans, Roger Strawbridge, Brian Hughes (cox), John Knight (nav), John Monk (head launcher), Keith Bean.
Cover photo: The crew of Fishguard RNLI in 1980 lined up in front of the lifeboat Howard Marryat. Pictured left to right are: Chris Williams, Huw Evans, Roger Strawbridge, Brian Hughes (cox), John Knight (nav), John Monk (head launcher), Keith Bean.
Community
Tudor women’s lives explored in upcoming Pembroke history talk
PEMBROKE & MONKTON Local History Society will welcome a leading Tudor historian to its next meeting on Saturday, March 7, promising a fascinating insight into the lives of women in the sixteenth century.
Guest speaker Melita Thomas will present a talk titled The Life and Times of Tudor Women, drawing on research from her acclaimed book 1000 Tudor People. The talk will explore the social, legal, political and economic challenges faced by women during the Tudor period, while also examining how some were able to carve out their own paths in areas such as trade, literature and even warfare.
Organisers say the event will offer a fresh perspective on whether Tudor women’s lives were as restricted as often portrayed, highlighting both the hardships and opportunities of the era.
Melita is the founder of the popular Tudor Times website and a member of the Tudor Players performance group. Alongside researching and writing books, she is currently undertaking a PhD at University College London.
Doors open at 10:00am for coffee, with the talk beginning at 11:00am. The event takes place at Pembroke Town Hall, where the Pembroke Museum and Council Chamber — located on the first floor — will also be open to visitors. A lift is available for disabled access.
The society has also announced that Pembroke Museum has reopened following its winter closure. The museum is open from 10:00am to 12:30pm Monday to Friday, with hours extended until 3:00pm from Easter. Entry is free.
For more information, visit www.pembrokeandmonktonhistory.org.uk or follow the society on Facebook. Enquiries can be sent to [email protected].

-
Health3 days agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health3 days agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health2 days agoConcerns grow over Bronglais stroke plans as politicians demand clarity
-
Health3 days agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business5 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community6 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Business6 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
Crime6 days agoMan who attacked woman outside Milford Haven bar ‘shows no remorse whatsoever’








