Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Educational rescue demonstration by RNLI

Published

on

THE PORT OF MILFORD HAVEN organised an educational demonstration for children by The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) at Milford Haven Waterway yesterday (Apr 11), carrying out a practice rescue with a mannequin.

A crowd watched on as the Angle branch of the RNLI brought out their Tamar Class lifeboat, known as the ‘Mark Mason’ before sending their SuperG II D-776 inshore rescue boat to pick the mannequin out of the water and bring it to shore.

In keeping with the realism of the presentation, police arrived and oversaw the rescue operation.

As part of a water safety event called ‘WAVE’ to raise awareness of the dangers of tomb-stoning, roughly 40 young people took part in workshops during the morning, followed by afternoon activities such as canoeing and paddle boarding at Milford beach.

Angle Lifeboat Station, built in 1868, is situated on the busy Milford Haven Waterway, covering a large and busy shipping area at the south-west tip of Wales with a high amount of both commercial and leisure traffic.

Continue Reading

News

St Davids lifeboat called to aid of swimmer drifting in current

Published

on

ON FRIDAY  (Jul 20) at 12.19pm St Davids RNLI all-weather lifeboat Norah Wortley launched on service to reports of a swimmer in difficulties off Abereiddi tower.

Also tasked were St Davids coastguard rescue team.

The sea swimmer had unknowingly drifted into the flooding tidal stream off the headland.

As the lifeboat was proceeding to this incident, further information came from Milford Haven Coastguard Operations Centre, that the struggling swimmer had been rescued by instructional staff from a local outdoor adventure provider.

At this time and with this information the lifeboat was stood down to return to station arriving back at 1.05pm.

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke: Emergency services dealing with another suspicious substance

Published

on

EMERGENCY SERVICES have returned to Pembroke Castle this afternoon (July 20) following reports of another container with a suspicious substance being found.

Dyfed-Powys Police, Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, and the Welsh Ambulance Service have attended the scene.

South Quay car park was closed at 1:30pm. It has since re-opened, however the pathway behind Pembroke Castle remains closed.

Pembroke Castle itself remains open.

A spokesperson for Dyfed-Powys Police said: “Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of suspicious containers found at Pembroke Castle at around 1.10pm today (Friday, July 20).

“Enquiries are continuing to safely establish exactly what substance is within the containers.

“Police would like to reassure members of the public that this is a safety precaution and that no one has been injured or harmed at this time. There is not believed to be any risk to the public at present.”

It emerged that a bottle bearing the word Novichok had been discovered last week, and the police are treating it as a hoax.

Paddle West, who offer row boat hire near the castle posted on Facebook: “Currently closed due to another bottle incident. If anyone knows the culprit please contact the police so we don’t have to do this every weekend!”

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Pembroke Dock: Indian restaurant owner sexually assaulted teenager

Published

on

THE OWNER of a Pembroke Dock restaurant who sexually assaulted the same girl three times has been made the subject of a suspended prison sentence.

Riaz Miah, aged 42, had been found guilty after a trial of three indecent assaults all committed on the same day.
Judge Paul Thomas told Miah he should feel disgusted and ashamed of himself.
Miah, of St Marks Close, Merlin’s Bridge, was jailed for 12 months, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 15 sessions of a rehabilitation activity. He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work for the community.
Miah was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order and must register with the police as a sex offender, both for 10 years.
Swansea Crown Court heard how he had kissed the 17 year old, licked her face and touched her breast and bottom.
His barrister, Carina Hughes, told the court his business had failed in January because of financial problems.
The victim wrote in an impact statement she was still too afraid to out alone in Pembroke Dock for fear of bumping into Miah. She still suffered nightmares and sometimes woke in floods of tears.
Judge Thomas told Miah, a married father of two, his behaviour had been disgraceful and he found it disappointing that he still denied the offending despite the verdicts of the jury.
“She was disgusted and repelled by what you did. She was affected psychologically and has suffered a loss of confidence. You richly deserve a prison sentence,” he added.
Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Pembroke: Emergency services dealing with another suspicious substance

EMERGENCY SERVICES have returned to Pembroke Castle this afternoon (July 20) following reports of another container with a suspicious substance...

News1 day ago

Pembroke Dock: Indian restaurant owner sexually assaulted teenager

THE OWNER of a Pembroke Dock restaurant who sexually assaulted the same girl three times has been made the subject...

News1 day ago

Trade union says health board’s proposed changes are inadequate

UNISON has released its formal submission to Hywel Dda’s consultation and said the lack of detail of how and when...

News2 days ago

Pharmacy burglars smashed through ceiling

THE POLICE have issued a warning following a burglary at a chemist in Milford Haven in which a large quantity...

News2 days ago

Council and teaching union come to agreement over possible redundancies

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL and The National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT) have come to an agreement about the...

News2 days ago

St Davids: Police to deal ‘appropriately’ with prank call

POLICE responded to a prank phone call in St Davids yesterday (Jul 18) after receiving a report which raised concerns...

News3 days ago

Pembroke Castle: Police investigating novichok hoax which wasted thousands

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has told The Pembrokeshire Herald that the operation at Pembroke Castle on Friday and Saturday (Jul 14-15) is...

News3 days ago

‘Concerning incident’ school letter worries parents

PARENTS have been worried about the vague details released about a ‘concerning incident’ which took place at Ysgol Glan Cleddau in...

News4 days ago

Inquest concludes a tank barrel flaw was responsible for deaths

A CORONER has reached the conclusion that a fatal explosion in a British Army tank was the result of a...

News4 days ago

Rapist councillor will still receive pay despite conviction

THE PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCILLOR convicted of child sex abuse will receive his monthly pay despite his 18-year jail sentence. David...

Popular This Week