Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Plaid: ‘Poverty is a political choice’

Published

on

INTRODUCING a £ 35 a week payment for every child in low-income families in Wales could lift 50,000 children out of poverty, says Plaid Cymru.
Speaking ahead of a Plaid Cymru debate in the Senedd on Wednesday, January 8, Plaid Cymru Leader Adam Price said children born today are at the “highest risk of poverty” in sixty years and parents have to choose between “feeding themselves and feeding their children.”

One of Plaid Cymru’s main policies during the general election in December last year was to “eradicate child poverty in Wales” and Mr Price said that had not changed.

The Leader of Plaid Cymru said a newly-elected Plaid Cymru government in 2021 would make eradicating child poverty in Wales one of its “priorities” and said a direct payment to all children in low-income families would be one possible option in doing this.

He added that a payment of £ 35 a week could “radically transform the lives of young people across Wales” giving them “the best start in life they deserve”.
Mr Price said that while the current Welsh government lacks a “specific strategy” to tackle poverty, Plaid Cymru would deliver a program of government with the eradication of child poverty a priority.

Mr Price said Plaid Cymru would not only “manage problems” but “solve” them.

Adam Price said: “Children born today are now at the highest risk of poverty in sixty years. Parents have to choose between feeding themselves and feeding their children. Growing up and living in poverty is no longer the exception in Wales. It’s the norm.

“One of Plaid Cymru’s main policies during last year’s general election was to eradicate child poverty in Wales. That has not changed.

“Plaid Cymru would make eradicating child poverty one of its top priorities. One of the ways we could do this is by introducing a new direct payment for low-income families. A payment of £ 35 per week for each child could radically transform the lives of young people across Wales and give them the best start in the life they deserve.

“Although Labour in Wales does not have a specific strategy to tackle poverty or even a basic definition of poverty, the Plaid Cymru government will introduce a competent government program that prioritises the eradication of child poverty.

“We won’t just manage problems. We will solve them. Poverty is a political choice. Plaid Cymru will ensure that Wales chooses differently.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Paul Davies Plays Cancer Strategy Jenga

Published

on

Preseli Pembrokeshire Assembly Member Paul Davies recently met with representatives of Cancer
Research UK and even had a go at their Cancer Strategy Jenga! Mr Davies heard how there are around
2,700 cancer cases per year in the Hywel Dda University Health Board area and that to achieve better
outcomes for patients, the Welsh Government needs to tackle preventable risk factors and address
shortages in the cancer workforce.

Mr Davies said, “It was a pleasure to speak to Cancer Research UK about how we can improve cancer
services and patient outcomes for those affected by cancer in Pembrokeshire. I enjoyed playing the
Cancer Strategy Jenga and learning about the different ‘planks’ that an ambitious cancer strategy for
Wales should have. Thanks to research and improvements in diagnosis and treatment, survival in the UK
has doubled since the 1970s so, today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer and hopefully that figure will
continue to rise. I will of course, be doing all that I can to call on the Welsh Government to bring forward
a cancer strategy – and one that makes a very real difference to patients and their families in Wales.”

Continue Reading

Community

Closing day approaching for deposit plan consultation

Published

on

The deadline is nearing for public comments on Pembrokeshire County Council’s replacement Local Development Plan – known as the Deposit Plan.

The public consultation on the Deposit Plan opened in January and will end at 4.30pm on Wednesday, 18th March.

The consultation has included seven drop-in sessions at locations around the county. Cllr Jon Harvey, Cabinet Member for Planning, said they had been well-attended and thanked members of the public for their feedback.

“We would encourage anyone interested in the future development of Pembrokeshire to participate in the consultation if they haven’t yet done so,” he added.

The Deposit Plan and related documents are available to view on the Council’s website at: www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/local-development-plan-review/deposit

The Deposit Plan covers the area of Pembrokeshire excluding the National Park.

It identifies a need for 6,800 new homes between 2017 and 2033 (425 a year) including 2,000 affordable homes. This growth will be distributed across the Plan area in accordance with a whole County strategy, which promotes sustainable development.

Residents can look at the Deposit Plan text and maps to view proposals in their area. The Plan proposes revised town and village boundaries (known as settlement boundaries) and a range of sites are allocated for different land uses, including 70 sites for housing. It also identifies a range of industrial sites (known as Strategic Employment Sites), local employment sites and two quarry sites.

The Deposit Plan seeks to respond to the challenges of climate change by including policies and designations to protect sites and species that are of importance for their biodiversity and nature conservation interest, open spaces and Green Wedges.

New growth is directed to sustainable locations. Proposals for vulnerable uses are directed away from flood risk areas and new development will be limited in areas at risk because of climate change. All new dwellings will be built to high quality, energy efficient designs and will incorporate charging points for ultra-low emission vehicles. Three sites are allocated for solar photovoltaic arrays.

The Deposit Plan and related documents are available to view on the Council’s website at: www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/local-development-plan-review/deposit

Hard copies are also available at County Hall, Haverfordwest, in Pembrokeshire County Council Customer Service Centres and in local Libraries, during normal opening hours.

• If you wish to have your say on the Deposit Plan you can do so using the Representations Form available online at the above website address, or in paper format from County Hall, Haverfordwest. This form should be used for making comments wherever possible.

• Please email your representation forms to ldp@pembrokeshire.gov.uk or post to The Development Plans Team, County Hall, Freeman’s Way, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1TP by 4.30pm on Wednesday, 18th March 2020.

Continue Reading

News

Pembrokeshire MP calls on Government to Secure Access to Cash

Published

on

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP Stephen Crabb has joined the Association of Convenience Stores, British Retail Consortium, Federation of Small Businesses, Positive Money and Responsible Finance in urging the Chancellor to use next week’s Budget to secure long-term access to cash across the UK.

Stephen Crabb has endorsed action on access to cash in a private letter to the Chancellor submitted today (Thursday). The letter outlines that to secure long-term access to cash, the Chancellor should use his Budget to:

• Reverse the arbitrary cuts to LINK interchange fees paid by banks to fund the network
• Exempt free-to-use ATMs from business rates bills
• Recognise that ATMs are the only infrastructure through which to guarantee national access to cash

ATM closures and big banks leaving communities behind are threatening the future of cash. Research commissioned by the Payment Systems Regulator shows that ‘the majority of consumers use cash regularly’ while the Access to Cash Review has found that eight million adults would struggle to cope in a cashless society.

Stephen Crabb, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, said: “In many rural areas cash machines have been disappearing at an alarming rate despite the fact that lots of people still prefer to use cash. Many small businesses have yet to make the move to contactless or digital payments because mobile and internet coverage is so weak in rural areas. There is a danger of cash deserts emerging in areas where there are no ATMs or bank branches. I hope the Chancellor and his team at the Treasury consider what steps need to be taken to address these trends”.

ACS chief executive James Lowman said: “We acknowledge the growth in digital payments but access to cash remains crucial for the millions who still rely on it for essential purchases. We need a planned approach to changing payment methods instead of the haphazard removal of free to use ATMs from communities.

“Cash back is not a workable replacement for the whole ATM network and comes with costs and security risks for businesses. We need the Chancellor to take action at the Budget to reverse cuts to interchange fees and exempt free to use ATMs from business rates that are making them unsustainable for ATM operators and local shops to host.”

British Retail Consortium Head of Payments Policy Andrew Cregan said: “Cash accounts for almost 40% of retail transactions and is important to many vulnerable people, especially as a tool for budgeting and control. Government should safeguard consumers’ access to cash by ensuring retailers are fairly rewarded for providing cashback services to customers and protecting the viability of free-to-use ATMs.”

Federation of Small Businesses National Chairman Mike Cherry said: “Cash is the payment method of choice for millions of small business customers, and millions more see it as an important part of the payments mix. There are some straightforward steps that the Chancellor can take on Wednesday to bolster our rapidly declining cash infrastructure. Removing business rates on free-to-use cash points is a good starting point. This a prime example of the many stifling quirks that exist within the archaic rates system. Equally, if the Treasury wants more small businesses to offer cashback, it must ensure they are given sufficient financial support to take that on.”

Positive Money Executive Director Fran Boait said: “After being bailed out by the public, banks have repaid the favour by slashing support for free ATMs, making us pay to access our own money. The Chancellor must stand up to banks’ cost-cutting in the Budget and make sure it is them and not the public who pay for Britain’s cash machine network.”

Responsible Finance Chief Executive Theodora Hadjimichael said: “The perils of relying on a single payment method have been illustrated by the weaknesses of digitalised financial systems, and the rapidly decreasing availability of free-to-use cash machines leaves million of people struggling to make payments, including the elderly and vulnerable. Paying for access to cash can compound the poverty premium for low-income families who rely on cash for their day to day budgeting and spending. It is critical that the Chancellor acts now to secure long-term access to cash across the UK.”

LINK, the ATM network body, is required under Specific Direction 8 from the Payment Systems Regulator to ensure the ongoing availability of access to free-to-use ATMs for consumers across the country. However, LINK’s own data shows over 500 free-to-use ATMs are closing every month and one-in-ten areas no longer have free access to cash via an ATM despite LINK’s commitments under the Financial Inclusion Programme.

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Council pays out £2.5m in business grants to date

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has revealed that since Wednesday, 1st April, it has already paid out £2.5 million in grants to...

News2 days ago

Man issued with two COVID-19 fines in 24 hours as police thank those following new legislation

A man has been issued with two fines in 24 hours for flouting Coronavirus legislation, as police thank those who...

News3 days ago

School staff video spreads positive message to students

A VIDEO featuring hundreds of Pembrokeshire educators, teachers and support staff is spreading a positive message to their students and...

News3 days ago

Public bus services change in Pembrokeshire

Due to the current situation there are a number of changes required to public bus services in Pembrokeshire. The County...

News4 days ago

Coronavirus patient being treated at Withybush intensive care unit, say staff

STAFF working at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest have confirmed that there is a patient in intensive care suffering from...

News4 days ago

Covid-19 grants for small businesses now being distributed

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture, Paul Miller, has announced that payments to businesses started...

News4 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Tuesday, 31st March, as follows: ‘I...

News5 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council housing services update

FOLLOWING the most recent Government guidance, Pembrokeshire County Council’s housing department has had to cut back on all face-to-face meetings...

News1 week ago

Police turn away caravans and campervans heading for Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE is currently closed to visitors’ is the message from Dyfed-Powys Police as officers work to prevent the spread of...

News1 week ago

Be a considerate neighbour during the coronavirus lockdown

DURING the current lockdown, Pembrokeshire County Council has seen an increased number of complaints from members of the public who...

Popular This Week