Crime
Murder accused tells jury: ‘I expect to die in prison’

A MAN accused of murdering a retired riding instructor in Swansea has told a jury he believes he will die behind bars.
Wendy Buckney, 71, was discovered battered and stabbed at her home in Clydach in August 2022. The court heard she had been attacked with a table leg and shelving before being repeatedly stabbed. Her injuries were so severe that a pathologist could not determine the exact number of stab wounds.
The defendant, Brian Whitelock, 57, admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility but denied murder. Representing himself at Swansea Crown Court, Mr. Whitelock said he had no memory of the events, citing brain injuries and hearing voices.

Victim found covered in furniture
CCTV and audio recordings were shown in court, capturing Mr. Whitelock outside Ms. Buckney’s flat, covered in blood, telling a neighbour he had killed her. Inside, Ms. Buckney’s naked body was discovered concealed under furniture.
The prosecution, led by Chris Rees KC, said Mr. Whitelock used “extreme violence,” drawing parallels to a 2000 case in which he killed two men, including his brother.
Past convictions resurface
In 2001, Mr. Whitelock was sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering Nicky Morgan and the manslaughter of his brother, Glenn Whitelock, who was asleep upstairs during the incident.
When questioned about the previous killings, Mr. Whitelock walked out of the witness box, declaring: “I’m not answering any more questions. You can go on the medical evidence. I can’t defend myself.”
He described his attack on Ms. Buckney as “out of character,” blaming head injuries from two falls shortly before her death. He claimed the injuries caused memory loss, confusion, and erratic behaviour.
‘She was one of the kindest people I knew’
Mr. Whitelock described Ms. Buckney as a kind and generous person who had helped him often. “She was really lovely, one of the most genuine people I know,” he said. “She helped me a lot. It’s difficult to talk about. She would do anything to help me.”
The court also heard that Mr. Whitelock had been prescribed strong sleeping tablets and had gone days without food or sleep in the lead-up to the attack.
Accused denies lying
Prosecutor Chris Rees accused Mr. Whitelock of lying to avoid another life sentence, asserting that he had also lied during his 2001 trial. Mr. Whitelock denied the allegations, saying: “I served my time, this has no relevance in this case whatsoever. You’re just trying to tie me in knots.”
An officer who arrested Mr. Whitelock overheard him saying, “I’m not doing another life sentence for murder,” during questioning at Swansea Central Police Station.
The case continues.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
Crime
Court adjourns marine enforcement case

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.
Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.
The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.
Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Crime
Pembroke man denies cocaine drug-driving charge

A PEMBROKE man has pleaded not guilty to drug-driving following an incident last summer.
Sean Agnew, aged 58, of Vetch Close, appeared at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3) for a further case management hearing.
He is accused of driving a Nissan Qashqai on Hywel Way, Pembroke, on August 1, 2024, while unfit through drugs. It is alleged that a blood test showed a level of Benzoylecgonine — a breakdown product of cocaine — at more than 92 micrograms per litre of blood, exceeding the specified legal limit.
The charge is brought under Section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
Agnew entered a not guilty plea on February 4 and has been released on unconditional bail.
He is due to appear again at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 10) at 10:00am for a further case management hearing before District Judge J Layton. The case is expected to last 20 minutes.
Ella Passey appeared for the prosecution on behalf of CPS Wales (South West).
-
Community7 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity7 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
Crime6 days ago
Milford Haven man faces court hearing for assault on three police officers
-
News6 days ago
Neyland councillor’s pub extension wrongly opposed by own council
-
News6 days ago
Three injured in two-car crash on B4313 near Trecwn