Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Driver banned after refusing breath test despite admitting drinking

Published

on

Motorist also damaged police cell blanket after arrest, court hears

A PEMBROKESHIRE motorist has been banned from the roads after repeatedly refusing to provide a breath sample despite admitting he had been drinking alcohol.

Police were called to Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, on the evening of January 3 following a report from a member of the public who was concerned about a man sitting in a car who appeared to be under the influence.

Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that officers found the man, later identified as Sean Cook, appearing intoxicated while sitting in the vehicle.

“He appeared to be intoxicated and said he was listening to the radio,” she said.

Cook told officers he was not fit to drive because he had consumed alcohol. He was asked on three separate occasions to provide a breath test but refused each time.

The court heard he was obstructive throughout the encounter and refused to answer questions about his alcohol consumption.

Following his arrest, Cook was taken to Haverfordwest Police Station where he damaged a custody cell blanket by pulling out its stitching.

Cook, aged 58, of Glenview House, Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and causing criminal damage.

He was disqualified from driving for 18 months and sentenced to a 12-month Community Order, which includes 10 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and a 120-day Alcohol Abstinence Monitoring Requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation for the damaged blanket, a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Crime

Woman, 79, made 141 unnecessary 999 calls putting lives at risk, court hears

Published

on

Judge warns misuse of emergency services could delay genuine life-threatening incidents

A 79-YEAR-OLD Pembrokeshire woman has admitted putting lives at risk after making more than 140 unnecessary calls to the emergency services over a 12-month period.

Ann Gately made a total of 141 calls to 999 between November 2024 and November 2025, including 26 calls over just two days between November 24 and 26.

Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard that each call was made from her home in Chapel Hill Lane, Templeton.

Appearing before District Judge Mark Layton, Gately pleaded guilty to persistently making use of a public communications network to cause annoyance, inconvenience and anxiety.

She was represented by defence solicitor Tom Lloyd, who told the court his client had recently undergone a memory assessment which produced a low score. The report suggested this could be linked either to the onset of dementia or significant alcohol consumption.

During the hearing, Gately was heard muttering: “I could do with a drink now, to be honest,” as mitigation was presented.

She was sentenced to a 12-month Community Order, which includes 15 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days. She was also ordered to pay a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.

Passing sentence, District Judge Mark Layton criticised her behaviour and warned of the wider consequences.

“You’re just making a nuisance of yourself again,” he said.

“You’re drinking, you’re getting drunk, you’re phoning the emergency services and their time is being wasted coming to you. People with genuine concerns aren’t able to get through and that might include someone in need of an ambulance or the fire service.

“Your actions are causing problems… real emergencies are being delayed, and that can cost lives.”

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Published

on

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than £33,000 worth of damage to a telecommunications network after cutting through fibre optic cables in the early hours of the morning.

Mickey Probert, aged 37, was seen lifting a drain cover in Wavell Crescent at around 3.50am on January 23, 2024, before entering an underground chamber and cutting through fibre infrastructure belonging to OGI.

Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that Probert had accessed a telecom footway chamber and cut through micro ducting and fibre cables.

Suspicions were raised when a nearby resident was woken by loud clanging noises and saw a man acting suspiciously near green utility boxes.

“The witness saw a male bend down in front of the boxes, lift the covers and shine a headtorch towards the ground,” she said.

Following a description provided by the witness, police arrested Probert. A search of his property uncovered wire cutters, a headtorch and a woolly hat.

The total cost of the damage to the OGI network was calculated at £33,767.98.

Defence solicitor Tom Lloyd said his client was unable to explain his actions but was extremely remorseful.

“He has a lot of things going on that haven’t properly been explored,” he told the court.

Probert, currently of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to criminal damage.

Given the seriousness of the offence, District Judge Mark Layton declined jurisdiction, meaning sentencing must take place at a higher court.

Probert will now be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on March 10. The court requested an all-options probation report ahead of the hearing.

(Cover image: File photo)

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Teen girl sentenced after assaulting police officer and shop theft

Published

on

Magistrates impose referral order following guilty pleas to multiple offences

A 15-YEAR-OLD girl has appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court charged with assaulting a police officer by kicking him.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to common assault after the officer sustained reddening and bleeding to his leg.

She also admitted obstructing a police officer in the execution of his duty and stealing items worth £18 from a shop.

After considering the case, District Judge Mark Layton sentenced the girl to a 12-month referral order.

She was also ordered to pay £50 court costs, a £26 surcharge, £50 compensation to the injured officer, and £18 compensation to the shop.

 

Continue Reading

Crime12 minutes ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community10 hours ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime13 hours ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business1 day ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime2 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government2 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health3 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime4 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week