Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Train carrying diesel derails near Murco

Published

on

derailed near murcoAt just after 10.35pm on Wednesday an EWS Class 66 locomotive operated by DB Schenker Rail left the tracks along with the first fuel wagon, but remained generally upright, at a twenty degree angle to the tracks.

The Pembrokeshire Herald spoke to Rob Smith from DB Schenker Rail who said: “The incident occurred on the catch-points where the railway branches from the main line to the refinery. There is a recovery team at the scene, which will need to lift the train as all wheels have left the tracks.”

“There is around thirty metres of railway damaged due to the derailment but no spillage of diesel fuel has occurred” he added.

Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman told The Herald: “Police at Milford Haven can confirm that emergency services attended the track near to the Steynton railway bridge where a derailment of a slow moving engine took place late on Wednesday evening.

“No persons were injured as a result and the road has been closed between Steynton and Tiers Cross in order for Rail Track engineers to right the engine.”

A spokesperson from the refinery said in a prepared statement: “Murco Petroleum Limited can confirm that shortly after 22.35hrs, a train carrying petroleum products from Murco’s Milford Haven Refinery derailed in the Steynton area of Milford Haven, approximately 1.5 miles from the Refinery.”

The spokesperson added: “There were no injuries sustained or loss of product from the train as a result of the incident. Network Rail has now assumed control of the incident and recovery of the train, following emergency response by the police and fire services. Murco is assisting Network Rail and the train operating companies in the recovery process and subsequent investigation into the cause of the derailment.”

DB Schenker Rail added: “We are also currently investigating the cause of the incident.”

The event comes only months after a Texaco road tanker, also carrying diesel, collided with a mobile crane spilling diesel onto the road in Merlins Bridge, Haverfordwest.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Charity

St Davids Lifeboat launches to assist 40-foot schooner

Published

on

ST DAVIDS RNLI were requested to launch all-weather lifeboat Norah Wortley at 5.44pm on Thursday (Jul 11) after a 40 foot schooner issued a PAN-PAN message.

The schooner had broken its bow sprit and was unable to recover it from the water. Still attached to the vessel and now rolling up and down the boat’s side, the skipper was worried that it could damage the hull and cause a leak. On passage to the Isle of Man from Falmouth, the schooner was some 4-6miles west of the Smalls lighthouse when the call for urgent assistance was made.

In order to minimise possible damage to the hull, the skipper elected to steam down-sea until St Davids lifeboat arrived on scene. Once on scene, the charity’s lifeboat began an escort towards Milford Haven waterway.

Angle RNLI all-weather lifeboat arrived on scene later and the escort was handed over to them just south of the Hats and Barrels islands. St Davids crew returned to station and rehoused at around 10:45pm.

Continue Reading

Community

Pembrokeshire woman aims to inspire by entering national pageant finals

Published

on

A WOMAN from Pembrokeshire is set to inspire others to seize the day by competing in the finals of a national pageant contest. Sian Phillips, 41, has been crowned Mrs Galaxy Pembrokeshire and has advanced to the finals of Mrs Galaxy UK.

Driven to enter the competition after the unexpected death of her brother earlier this year, Sian shared her motivations: “Having lost my brother unexpectedly in February, it made me realise that life is too short and to seize every opportunity that came my way.”

Residing in Pembroke Dock and employed at Castlemartin, Sian was introduced to the world of beauty pageants last year while filming with S4C. During this experience, she met Miss Voluptuous 2024, sparking her interest in pageantry. She then discovered the UK Galaxy Pageants, which have been a staple since 2008, offering five competitions annually with categories ranging from Junior Miss Galaxy to Mrs Galaxy UK.

“With these pageants, for most girls and women taking part, it is their first ever event like this and it is a great introduction to this world and beyond,” Sian explained.

Sian’s journey to the finals began with the submission of her pictures and information online. A few days later, she received an email confirming her progression to the grand finals in Lancashire in March 2025.

The event will feature an interview and rehearsals during the day, followed by four rounds in the evening: opening number, swimwear, fashion wear, and the one Sian is most looking forward to – evening wear. Five winners will be crowned on the night, who will then represent the UK at the international finals in America in the summer of 2025.

Expressing her excitement, Sian said, “I am really excited to take part and do something I’ve never done before. I’m not really a girlie girl that gets her hair and nails done. Sometimes it’s scary to do things outside of your comfort zone but it’s good to challenge yourself and realise how amazing you actually are.”

In preparation for the finals, Sian, who has previously organised a charity fashion show and a boudoir photo shoot and exhibition, will be attending local events and fundraising for charities both locally, in the UK, and internationally. Updates on her activities will be posted on Facebook and Instagram.

Sian is also seeking support from local hair, beauty, and nail salons, offering publicity locally and at the event for those who can assist her.

Continue Reading

News

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

Published

on

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation.

Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past few months or for his campaign donations.

He expressed that he had hoped for “rebuilding and renewal” under his leadership over the summer.

“I recognise now that this is not possible,” he stated.

He described this period as the most challenging time “for me and my family”.

“A growing assertion that some kind of wrongdoing has taken place has been pernicious, politically motivated and patently untrue,” he declared.

“In 11 years as a minister, I have never made a decision for personal gain. I have never misused or abused my ministerial responsibilities.

“My integrity matters. I have not compromised it.

“I regret that the burden of proof is no longer an important commodity in the language of our politics. I do hope that can change.

“To those in Wales who look like me – many of whom I know feel personally bruised and worried by this moment, I know that our country can be better. I know that cannot happen without us.”

He added that he would discuss a timetable for the election of a new leader.

Responding to the resignation Plaid Cymru Leader Rhun ap Iorwerth said:

“The people of Wales have lost faith in the First Minister, belatedly he has done that right thing and resigned.

“But the people of Wales are losing confidence in Labour’s ability to govern Wales.

“This could be the third Labour First Minister in seven months – a revolving door of chaos.

“Labour has put party interests ahead of the interests of the nation for too long.

“The people of Wales must be given the opportunity to elect a new government and an election must be called.

“Plaid Cymru stands ready to serve with a platform which puts fairness and ambition at its heart.

“Voters the length and breadth of Wales deserve a government which is unrelenting in addressing the issues that matter most to them – from record high NHS waiting lists and the scourge of child poverty, to below average educational outcomes and building an economy that works for all.

“After 25 years at the helm, Labour is unable to rebuild and refresh from within.

THE FULL STATEMENT

Here is Vaughan Gething’s statement in full: “I have this morning taken the difficult decision to begin the process of stepping down as leader of the Welsh Labour Party and, as a result, First Minister.

“Having been elected as leader of my party in March, I had hoped that over the summer a period of reflection, rebuilding and renewal could take place under my leadership. I recognise now that this is not possible.

“It has been the honour of my life to do this job even for a few short months. To see the dedication to public service from our civil service, and the dedication to civility from the Welsh public.

“To see the election of a new government in Westminster, and the fresh hope that brings to Wales. I have always pursued my political career to serve Wales.

“And being able to show underrepresented communities that there is a place for them, for us, is an honour and privilege that will never diminish.

“It’s what drew me into public service. Before becoming an MS I fought employment cases for people who’d been mistreated at work.

“I wanted to give power those without a voice.

“That has always been my motivation. I also campaigned to help create the Senedd, clocking up 30 years of work to support Wales’ devolution journey.

“This has been the most difficult time, for me, and my family. A growing assertion that some kind of wrongdoing has taken place has been pernicious, politically motivated and patently untrue.

“In 11 years as a Minister, I have never ever made a decision for personal gain. I have never ever misused or abused my ministerial responsibilities. My integrity matters. I have not compromised it.

“I regret that the burden of proof is no longer an important commodity in the language of our politics. I do hope that can change.

“I will now discuss a timetable for the election of new leader of my party. Finally, I want to say thank you to those who have reached out to support me, my team and my family in recent weeks. It has meant the world to all of us.

“To those in Wales who look like me – many of whom I know feel personally bruised and worried by this moment, I know that our country can be better. I know that cannot happen without us.

“There will – and there must be – a government that looks like the country it serves.

“Thank you.”

Continue Reading

News60 mins ago

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation. Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past...

News2 hours ago

LIVE – Welsh Government ministers quit and call for First Minister to go

FOUR senior ministers of the Welsh Government have dramatically tendered their resignations in a bold protest against the leadership of...

Crime20 hours ago

Ex-mayor gets suspended sentence for child images offences

A FORMER mayor of Pembroke Dock has been given a suspended jail sentence for the possession and distribution of indecent...

Community3 days ago

Sumatran tiger cub named Zaza is first ever born in a Welsh zoo

MANOR WILDLIFE PARK said this week that it is thrilled to announce the birth of a Sumatran tiger cub, named...

Community3 days ago

Neyland Carnival 2024: A resounding success

THIS year’s carnival dazzled spectators and participants alike today, marking one of the most memorable events in recent years. Thousands...

News4 days ago

Swimmers warned off west Wales beaches following pollution incident

SWIMMERS have been advised to avoid two popular beaches in west Wales following a pollution incident. On Friday (Jul 12)...

Politics4 days ago

King Charles III addresses Senedd to mark 25th anniversary of Welsh devolution

KING CHARLES III addressed the Welsh Parliament on a visit to celebrate 25 years since the then-National Assembly for Wales...

News6 days ago

Several injured in Oakwood Theme Park ride incident

A ROUTINE day at Oakwood Theme Park took a horrifying turn yesterday when the park’s ‘Bounce’ ride malfunctioned, resulting in...

Politics6 days ago

Tufnell promises to make sure Pembrokeshire is at the heart of government policy

MID AND SOUTH Pembrokeshire’s new Labour MP has travelled to London for his first day representing the constituency after his...

Crime1 week ago

Milford man admits 23 sexual offences against children

A MILFORD HAVEN man has appeared before a District Judge accused of committing 23 sexual offences against four girls under...

Popular This Week