Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Whitewell Caravan Park plans signed off

Published

on

WHITEWELLCARAVANDEVELOPMENT of the Whitewell Caravan Park will take place following a debate over the signage of the park at a meeting on Wednesday (Apr 15).

Cllr Michael Williams said the current signs were unpleasant and added that a condition to amend the signs should be included as part of a number of conditions on the application.

Cllr Bob Kilmister said that he felt uneasy about imposing the condition and when it was put to a vote, members did not support the addition of a signage condition.

The National Park’s Development Management Committee considered plans for the Caravan Park in Penally, Tenby, where the applicant has applied to change the use of one his fields to provide 17 static pitches, 16 touring pitches and ten tent pitches to replace the existing provision.

There have been problems with the site in the past as campers have been allowed to camp on a field adjacent to the proposed site and an enforcement notice had been issued in relation to this matter.

The agent also told his client that this was not acceptable and told the committee that the application was made to rectify the problems.

A neighbour to the site, Mr Joseph, urged the committee to accept the plans saying that the development would solve the issues that neighbours had.

He said: “Both myself and my family have experienced disruption and a loss of amenity due to unlicensed camping taking place in the field opposite our property. When we brought the property we expected some disruption from neighbours and the manner in which the applicant has sought to increase the intensity of the business through unauthorised development over six years has created an imbalanced situation which has adversely affected us. If approved, this application will hopefully remedy these issues. We’re surrounded by land owned by the park and we have a tolerable level of disruption from the existing developments. This proposal offers a balance in that it allows the business to grow in a way that preserves the amenity for our household and will actually enhance the appearance of the area. Overall we support the application and it will solve our issues as neighbours.”

Agent Ken Morgan said: “I have advised my client very early that he had to address these issues concerning neighbours. He is trying to improve his park substantially in both the buildings and by the provision of more camping facilities. The standards of caravans that are now made in this country are far superior to the original ones. This gives the holiday park improved environmental aspects which is enjoyable for the tourists in the park as well as the wider environment. More importantly we can control what used to happen in the front two fields. I have said to my client no caravans in the left hand field. What we have come up with is a good compromise.”

Tenby Councillor Michael Williams said: “Departures do concern me but there are real planning gains to be made with this application. The key here is landscaping because this is critical to the success of this development. I have concerns about road signage and particularly in my view, it looks unpleasant. It has to be particularly well designed to suit the landscaping. I think it is very important that the conditions are complied with and they are enforced. The front two fields, this must never be allowed to happen again. I would like to complement the officer and architect for coming to an agreement on this site which will sort out some of the problems and it shows what can be achieved when architects and officers meet before and come to an agreement.”

Cllr Williams moved approval and also added that the signage should be looked at as part of the conditions.

Cllr Bob Kilmister disagreed saying: “I am really uneasy about that. I don’t think it’s a material part of this planning consideration and I think we are overstepping the mark.”

Cllr Tony Wilcox added: “The original sign has been up for some time and it has not attracted any complaints until today so it seems a bit harsh.”

The plans with Cllr Williams’ added condition of signage were then voted on but it was defeated by nine votes to six. The original recommendation was then put to the vote and that was approved unanimously.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Live music event for Nia, raising money for the Withybush Hospital Cancer Day Unit appeal

Published

on

Twenty years ago, the world lost another star to the clutches of cancer. This particular person was a member of the increasingly successful Pembrokeshire rock band JYlt, and her name was Nia George.

JYlt had been praised by John Peel of Radio 1, completed a UK tour including a performance at Glastonbury, distributed over 20,000 CDs, and were in talks with Sony about furthering their record deal. Nia was just 21 years old when she passed away after battling leukaemia for a year.

This summer, Nia’s life will be celebrated with a gig at HaverHub on August 10th. The event will feature Bryde (former JYlt singer), Tom Jenkins (who recently released his EP ‘Meadows Pt1 & Pt2’ through Xtra Mile Recordings), Persona B (with two other JYlt members), and SLAK, the winners of Pembrokeshire College’s Battle of the Bands 2024. There is also the potential for a special appearance that cannot be confirmed yet.

This event is not just a celebration of Nia’s life. It is also a poignant reminder of how cancer can affect anyone at any time, and it focuses on supporting the remarkable Withybush Cancer Day Unit. All ticket proceeds and donations will be given to this wonderful place that supports so many people during unimaginably difficult times, often resulting in beautiful stories of success. This unit is a lifeline to many, and we aim to give a little back.

Please note, this event is for those aged 16 and over, with a strict ID policy in place.

Event Details:

Continue Reading

Crime

Fraudster ordered to repay just £16,700 after victims lost £620,000

Published

on

A MAN described by a judge as the most “fundamentally dishonest” individual he had ever encountered has been ordered to repay only £16,700 after defrauding his victims of more than £620,000.

Darryl Evans, aged 62, was sentenced to eight years in prison in January after being convicted of 26 charges of fraud and one charge of theft. The convictions followed an almost three-week trial in December, during which the jury deliberated for less than three hours before returning guilty verdicts on all 27 charges.

Evans, of Green Court Crescent in Tenby, deceived his victims into handing over large sums of money between 2013 and 2020. Described by one victim as operating a “Ponzi scheme,” Evans persuaded friends and acquaintances to invest substantial amounts, claiming he would place their funds in lucrative schemes. In reality, Evans was unemployed and using the money to finance his own lifestyle.

The theft charge stemmed from Evans appointing himself as the executor of a will and transferring money into his personal account, where it swiftly vanished.

Sentencing Evans, Judge Paul Thomas KC remarked: “In over 40 years in these criminal courts, I do not remember ever dealing with someone as fundamentally dishonest as you. Over several years, you cynically, ruthlessly, and dishonestly took in excess of half a million pounds. Many of these people considered you to be their friend. You knew many of them could not afford to lose the money you were taking from them.”

Evans recently returned to Swansea Crown Court for a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing, where prosecutor Robin Rouch revealed that Evans had benefitted to the sum of £629,926.17 from his offences. However, only £16,736.11 of Evans’ assets could be seized to repay his victims.

Mr Rouch explained that the available money had been deposited in a Co-op bank account set up by Evans and could be directly traced to the estate of the person for whom he had acted as an executor. Unfortunately, none of the other victims’ money could be traced to this account.

Judge Thomas inquired if Evans owned any property that could be sold to compensate the other victims. Mr Rouch responded that extensive enquiries had been made, but nothing of value was found.

Judge Thomas ruled that the available funds would be split between the two beneficiaries of the estate. He emphasised, “The money will be paid. There’s nothing you can do to either facilitate it or thwart it. The money will be taken from your account. It will be done without your involvement.” He added, “It’s unfortunate for other investors who have lost rather more.”

Continue Reading

Community

Mayor welcomes luxury cruise ship as it visits Milford Haven

Published

on

THE LUXURY vessel Star Legend, part of the Windstar Cruises fleet, made a call at the Port of Milford Haven on Wednesday (Jun 12), with its next destination set for Portsmouth on June 14.

Dignitaries, including The Mayor, went on board the vessel to welcome it into port.

Milford Haven Town Council said on Facebook: “The Mayor – Cllr William Elliott and Consort – Mr Lloyd Jones had the pleasure of welcoming passengers off the cruise ship Star Legend, with the Port of Milford Haven.

“The cruise ship is currently being charted with a two week voyage around the British Isles on a cycling tour with the passengers mainly from the US or Canada.

“Delighted to be invited onboard for a tour of the ship and to meet the Captain and Crew.
Have a lovely day in the lovely weather!”

Windstar Cruises is embarking on its largest agent ship schedule in the UK and Ireland this summer. Both of the company’s Star Class yachts, Star Legend and Star Pride, will offer up to 450 places for trade partners between June and August. The ships will visit 11 different ports across the UK and Ireland. The programme includes tours of the respective yachts and brief business updates from the Windstar team.

Augustus Lonsdale, Windstar Cruises’ Head of Sales for the UK & Ireland, commented: “After the success of last year’s ship visit programme, when we welcomed over 250 agents onboard, I’m delighted that so many UK agents will have the chance to come onboard Star Legend and Star Pride this year.

“Windstar Cruises is fully committed to the UK, especially after a record start to the year, and we are continuing to increase sales and visibility within this important market.

“This expanded ship visit programme provides our trade partners with a great opportunity to experience a taste of Windstar’s ‘180 Degrees from Ordinary’ experience for themselves – which will, in turn, help them sell the product.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment49 mins ago

Live music event for Nia, raising money for the Withybush Hospital Cancer Day Unit appeal

Twenty years ago, the world lost another star to the clutches of cancer. This particular person was a member of...

News2 days ago

Youth rescued after 40-metre jump off bridge at Neyland Marina

A MULTI–agency rescue operation unfolded on Monday night (Jun 10) at Neyland Marina after a youth jumped approximately 40 metres...

Crime2 days ago

Pembrokeshire postman admits driving after taking cocaine

A PEMBROKESHIRE postman has been ordered off the roads after admitting driving on a main county A-road after taking cocaine....

Health2 days ago

St Davids residents rally to save doctors’ surgery from closure

HUNDREDS of St Davids residents gathered together on Sunday to launch their SOS Save Our Surgery campaign. Hywel Dda University...

Charity2 days ago

Elly Neville awarded British Empire Medal for services to cancer care

ELLY NEVILLE, the young advocate behind Elly’s Ward 10 Flag Appeal, has been honoured with the British Empire Medal (BEM)...

News3 days ago

Red Arrows dazzle Pembrokeshire with spectacular flyover

IT wasn’t advertised on their website, and some doubted it was going to happen, but our reports that the Red...

News3 days ago

Labour promises ‘energy revolution’ with ‘historic investment in ports’

ON a visit to the Port of Milford Haven, Shadow Energy Secretary Ed Miliband and Cabinet Secretary for Climate Change...

Community3 days ago

Milford Haven Civic Awards 2024: Celebrating community heroes

THE Milford Haven Civic Awards took place on Friday, June 7, at the Pill Social Centre, hosted by the Milford...

Crime5 days ago

Three arrests as ‘commercial scale’ cannabis edibles factory discovered

THREE people have been charged following the discovery of a commercial scale production factory at an address in Haverfordwest. Between...

Community6 days ago

Free, family day out in Milford Haven town centre

Milford Haven Business Circle is thrilled to announce the celebration of its Founding Day 2024, packed with exciting activities throughout...

Popular This Week