Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

“All Wales” drink / drug drive campaign results

Published

on

JS53752269OVER 9000 breath tests were carried out and over 190 drug wipes administered during an All Wales campaign

Led by Dyfed-Powys Police, the campaign ran from June 10th until July 10th during which time a total of 9,532 breath tests were administered across Wales with 306 of those being positive, refused or fail to provide. 199 roadside tests for drugs were administered with 131 showing positive for drugs.

The offence of drinking alcohol or taking drugs and driving is one of the “fatal 5”; the five offences that can lead to death or serious injury on our roads.  The others being careless driving, speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, and driving while on a mobile phone.

Breath tests

Dyfed Powys Police administered 2751 tests of which 68 tests were positive, refused or failed to provide.

Gwent Police carried out 1004 tests with 51 testing positive, refusing or failing to provide.

In the South Wales Police area 1819 tests were conducted with 109 testing positive, refusing or failing to provide.

North Wales Police carried out 3958 tests with 78 testing positive, refusing or failing to provide.

Drug Wipes Administered

Dyfed Powys Police 23 with 11 being positive

Gwent Police  65 with 39 being positive

South Wales Police  51 with 45 being positive

North Wales Police 60 with 36 being positive

Dyfed-Powys Police Assistant Chief Constable, Pam Kelly, said: “This campaign identified a significant number of motorists in Wales who continue to ignore this important legislation around drink and drug driving.

“If you drink or take drugs and drive you will potentially not only ruin your life, but the lives of others. There is absolutely no excuse for drinking or taking drugs and driving and the consequences can be devastating.

“Although this was a month-long focussed campaign, the drive to change attitudes, increase road safety and catch offenders will continue year round.”

Chair of Road Safety Wales, Susan Storch, said: “We were clear in our messages throughout the campaign that drink or drug driving is not acceptable, and will not be tolerated. The police services also made effective use of the new legislation under Section 5a and made some significant arrests during the campaign period.

“Those that selfishly break the law are endangering themselves and, more importantly, other road users. Drink and drug driving ruins lives all year round and we will continue to work closely with the Police in reinforcing these messages throughout the year.”

Anyone with information about people drinking and driving should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Repeat drug-driver banned for three years after Pembroke stop

Published

on

Motorist was over legal limits for both cannabis and cocaine metabolite, court hears

A 35-YEAR-OLD Pembrokeshire motorist has been disqualified from driving after being caught behind the wheel while over the legal drug-drive limit.

Police received information on November 11 that David Webb had been driving a Kia Sorento along Buttermilk Lane, Pembroke, after taking drugs.

When stopped by officers, Webb admitted he had smoked cannabis the previous night. A roadside drug swipe tested positive, and subsequent blood analysis at the police station revealed 101 micrograms of benzoylecgonine — a cocaine metabolite — per litre of blood, along with 2.3 micrograms of Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The legal limits are 50 and 2 micrograms respectively.

Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard this was Webb’s second drug-driving conviction, following a previous offence in October 2023.

Webb, of Strongbow Walk, Pembroke, was sentenced to a 12-month Community Order requiring him to complete 15 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was disqualified from driving for three years and ordered to pay a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Driver banned after refusing breath test despite admitting drinking

Published

on

Motorist also damaged police cell blanket after arrest, court hears

A PEMBROKESHIRE motorist has been banned from the roads after repeatedly refusing to provide a breath sample despite admitting he had been drinking alcohol.

Police were called to Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, on the evening of January 3 following a report from a member of the public who was concerned about a man sitting in a car who appeared to be under the influence.

Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that officers found the man, later identified as Sean Cook, appearing intoxicated while sitting in the vehicle.

“He appeared to be intoxicated and said he was listening to the radio,” she said.

Cook told officers he was not fit to drive because he had consumed alcohol. He was asked on three separate occasions to provide a breath test but refused each time.

The court heard he was obstructive throughout the encounter and refused to answer questions about his alcohol consumption.

Following his arrest, Cook was taken to Haverfordwest Police Station where he damaged a custody cell blanket by pulling out its stitching.

Cook, aged 58, of Glenview House, Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and causing criminal damage.

He was disqualified from driving for 18 months and sentenced to a 12-month Community Order, which includes 10 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and a 120-day Alcohol Abstinence Monitoring Requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation for the damaged blanket, a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Published

on

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than £33,000 worth of damage to a telecommunications network after cutting through fibre optic cables in the early hours of the morning.

Mickey Probert, aged 37, was seen lifting a drain cover in Wavell Crescent at around 3.50am on January 23, 2024, before entering an underground chamber and cutting through fibre infrastructure belonging to OGI.

Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that Probert had accessed a telecom footway chamber and cut through micro ducting and fibre cables.

Suspicions were raised when a nearby resident was woken by loud clanging noises and saw a man acting suspiciously near green utility boxes.

“The witness saw a male bend down in front of the boxes, lift the covers and shine a headtorch towards the ground,” she said.

Following a description provided by the witness, police arrested Probert. A search of his property uncovered wire cutters, a headtorch and a woolly hat.

The total cost of the damage to the OGI network was calculated at £33,767.98.

Defence solicitor Tom Lloyd said his client was unable to explain his actions but was extremely remorseful.

“He has a lot of things going on that haven’t properly been explored,” he told the court.

Probert, currently of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to criminal damage.

Given the seriousness of the offence, District Judge Mark Layton declined jurisdiction, meaning sentencing must take place at a higher court.

Probert will now be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on March 10. The court requested an all-options probation report ahead of the hearing.

(Cover image: File photo)

 

Continue Reading

Crime6 hours ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community16 hours ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime18 hours ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business1 day ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime2 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government2 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health3 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime4 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week