News
Woman and child found in search on Newport mountain
A WOMAN and child who were lost on a mountain in Newport were saved by Fishguard and Moylegrove Coastguard teams last night (Aug 31).
A group of people from the local community also helped in the search.
The Coastguard were alerted to the missing pair on Carningli Mountain, Newport, at 9pm.
Search terms were deployed immediately and both were found safely shortly afterwards, then escorted back down the mountain.
The Coastguard search party then thanked the members of public who assisted them with their search.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
Business
Tug crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port
TUG crews working in the Port of Milford Haven have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a growing dispute over pay, according to Unite the Union.
The union said members employed by marine services company Svitzer backed action following what it described as a failure to deliver a fair and acceptable pay offer for 2025.
Unite said the workers carry out “highly skilled work that is essential to operations in the Port of Milford Haven” and that members were becoming increasingly frustrated at a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations.
The ballot result does not automatically mean strike action will take place, but it gives the union a mandate to call action if talks do not improve.
Tug services play a critical safety role in guiding large vessels, including oil tankers and liquefied natural gas carriers, through the Milford Haven Waterway — one of the UK’s most strategically important energy ports.
The Herald has contacted Svitzer and the Port of Milford Haven Authority for comment on the potential impact on operations and any contingency planning.
A spokesperson for Unite said members had sent a strong message through the ballot and would have the full support of the union in seeking a fair resolution.
At the time of publication, no dates for possible industrial action had been announced.
The Herald will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Community
Government refusal to compensate 1950s-born women sparks legal row
Campaigners in west Wales accuse ministers of discrimination after Ombudsman findings rejected
WOMEN born in the 1950s across Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire are threatening legal action after the UK Government refused to pay compensation despite accepting maladministration in pension age communications.
The controversy follows a decision by the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Pat McFadden MP, to reject recommendations from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO), which had investigated delays in notifying women about increases to the State Pension age.
In a letter sent to all MPs on January 29, the Secretary of State accepted that government failings caused a 28-month delay in sending letters to affected women but concluded that compensation would not be appropriate. He argued that most women were already aware that the State Pension age was rising and that there was no direct financial loss caused by the delay.
The Government also cited the projected cost of a compensation scheme — estimated at up to £10.3 billion — as part of its reasoning.
However, campaigners say the decision is unlawful and discriminatory.
Jackie Gilderdale, organiser for Pembrokeshire and Carmarthen West 1950s Women of Wales, has written to local MP Henry Tufnell calling for the decision to be suspended and for independent mediation between ministers and campaign groups.
She said the Government had accepted wrongdoing but refused to remedy the consequences.
Campaigners argue that many women lost opportunities to plan financially for retirement due to the communication failures, particularly those with lower incomes, caring responsibilities or interrupted employment histories.
The letter claims the decision breaches equality law and administrative justice principles, and could be challenged through judicial review or other legal action.
It also raises concerns about consultation, alleging ministers relied on engagement with a single organisation representing only a small proportion of affected women rather than recognised campaign groups.
The dispute forms part of a long-running national controversy over pension age changes affecting women born in the 1950s, often associated with the WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality) movement.
The Ombudsman’s investigation, published in March 2024 after six years of work, found maladministration in the Department for Work and Pensions’ communication strategy and recommended a compensation framework.
While accepting fault, the Government maintains that the injustice threshold for compensation was not met.
Campaigners disagree, arguing that loss of opportunity — such as the chance to remain in work or adjust savings — constitutes a real and compensable harm.
A parliamentary petition calling for mediation between ministers and affected women has already attracted more than 60,000 signatures.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community18 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education3 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Community6 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway







