Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

National Trust’s ‘one dimensional vision’

Published

on

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.15.42THE FARMERS’ UNION OF WALES (FUW) has warned of the dangers of ignoring rural communities and economics in its response to a National Trust document setting out principles for the future of farming. 

Last week, National Trust Director, Dame Helen Ghosh, set out six principles that the Trust believes any new system must deliver for the public, stating that support should be focussed on environmental outcomes.

Responding to the publication, FUW President, Glyn Roberts, himself a tenant of a National Trust farm, said: “While we would agree with some of the points made by the Trust, it appears to be a very one dimensional vision, with little or no reference to the well-being of the people who live and work in our rural areas, or the economic sustainability of our rural communities.

“Our environment, culture, communities and economy are heavily interwoven, with food production linking everything together. You only have to look at the Trust’s own farms here in Wales to see that complexity.

“The dangers of suggesting sweeping policies based upon single issues and incorrect assumptions are clear – in the worst cases the impacts would be akin to something like the highland clearances.”

Last year, the National Trust, one of the UK’s largest charities, received around £11 million under the Common Agricultural Policy, compared with an average Welsh farm payment of around £12,000.

Citing average 2015-16 net Welsh farm incomes of just £13,000, Mr Roberts said great care needed to be taken in order to avoid damaging ecosystems which depend upon a vibrant rural population and an economically viable farming sector.

“I have no doubt that the National Trust members who visit Wales want to see an economically, culturally and environmentally vibrant countryside.

“They do not wish to see areas where rural poverty has driven out the indigenous population, every other house is a retirement or holiday home, and the environment has been damaged by well-meaning but misguided anti-farming policies,” he added.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Government backs down after Reform legal challenge over postponed local elections

Published

on

Ministers withdraw decision affecting 30 councils as court claim resolved

THE UK GOVERNMENT has withdrawn its decision to postpone local council elections in England scheduled for May 2026 after a legal challenge brought by Reform UK, according to official court correspondence seen by The Herald.

A letter from the Government Legal Department, dated Monday (Feb 16), confirms that the Secretary of State has decided to reverse the earlier postponement “in the light of recent legal advice”, meaning the elections will now proceed as planned in May.

The claim — Reform UK Party Limited v Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government — had been lodged in the Administrative Court in London.

The correspondence states that the Housing Minister, who had not been involved in the original decision, was asked to reconsider the position urgently due to the tight timetable. Following that review, ministers concluded that the elections should go ahead.

The Government has also indicated it will seek to agree an order with the claimant to formally dispose of the case and will pay Reform UK’s legal costs.

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage claimed victory following the development, writing on social media that the party had “taken this Labour government to court and won”.

He added: “In collusion with the Tories, Keir Starmer tried to stop 4.6 million people voting on May 7th. Only Reform UK fights for democracy.”

The Government has not publicly commented in detail on the claim itself, but the letter makes clear that the reversal was prompted by legal advice rather than a full court judgment.

The dispute centred on the proposed postponement of elections across 30 local authorities, a move which critics argued would have delayed millions of voters from going to the polls.

With the decision now withdrawn, preparations for May’s local elections are expected to proceed as normal.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

MoD plans for Pembrokeshire site submitted to council

Published

on

PLANS for specialist MoD air traffic radio direction finding equipment works at Pembrokeshire’s Cawdor barracks, where a ‘DARC’ deep space radar facility is proposed, have been submitted to the council.

Cawdor barracks, Brawdy, is occupied by the 14th Signal Regiment who are due to vacate the Barracks in 2028.

A formal screening opinion call, under Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council by agent Montagu Evans on behalf of the ministry of Defence (MoD) has been submitted relating to renewal works to be undertaken to the air traffic equipment at Cawdor Barracks.

A supporting statement says: “The Ministry of Defence are progressing a full planning application with associated Environmental Statement for a Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability (DARC) Facility on part of the barracks site.

“ This project has yet to be submitted for approval and is being brought forward independently of the renewal works to the Radio Direction Finder.

“The Cawdor Barracks airfield includes a Directional Finder (DF) which forms part of the service operated under a requirement from the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

“It forms part of the nation-wide system automatic triangulation and distress, and diversion network regulate by the CAA on behalf of NATS. It is located towards the centre of the airfield.

“The network of DF installations is a civilian rather than military requirement, and allows bearing data to be provided to the Distress and Diversion Cell at NATS Swanwick. This is a national service which locates and supports aircraft in distress and manages the diversion of other aircraft.

“The current DF equipment comprises a 0.5m cabinet for electronics, a counterpose mounted the building which holds the ultra-high frequency antennas and a mast upon which the antenna array of 18 antennas is mounted.

“The existing DF equipment is reaching the end of its operational life and must be replaced at a manner which allows for continued operations. It is to be replaced with a High-Resolution Direction Finder (HRDF) which is being managed under the Ministry of Defence’s MARSHALL programme.

The new equipment will allow signals to be received from aircraft up to approximately 90 nautical miles (Nm) from the site, providing maximum coverage of the area through including the Bristol Channel and St Georges Channel.

“The existing DF will remain operational during installation of the new equipment. Once the HRDF is operational, the existing system will be decommissioned and removed from the site. Works are to commence in early 2026 and completed by early 2027.”

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Driver admits killing dog walker whose body was found in churchyard

Published

on

Guilty plea entered at Swansea Crown Court after fatal hit-and-run days before Christmas

A MAN has admitted causing the death of a Carmarthenshire dog walker after striking him with a car and leaving the scene.

Daniel Wyke, aged 28, of Carmarthen, appeared before Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Feb 16) where he pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

The victim, Aaron Jones, aged 38, from Llanpumsaint, was discovered in a churchyard near Caer Salem Baptist Chapel on December 23, 2024 — just days before Christmas.

Tragic: Aaron Jones

The court heard that Mr Jones, a father of two, had suffered catastrophic injuries after being struck by a vehicle at around 7:20pm. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Prosecutor Ian Wright told the court there was extensive damage to the windscreen of the vehicle involved, consistent with a serious impact.

Guilty plea: Daniel Wyke

Mr Jones’ body was found after his dog was discovered wandering alone by a passer-by, who contacted his wife and raised the alarm, prompting a search of the area.

Wyke was arrested the following day.

In addition to the fatal collision, he had also faced a separate allegation of dangerous driving on Water Street in Carmarthen. That charge was denied and remains outstanding.

His Honour Judge Paul Thomas KC granted Wyke bail but imposed an immediate driving disqualification.

A provisional sentencing date has been set for March 30.

 

Continue Reading

Crime3 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government4 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News19 hours ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime2 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Community3 days ago

Lifeboat to find new home at Pembroke Dock museum after historic handover ceremony

A HISTORIC lifeboat which saved forty lives around the British coastline is set to begin a new chapter in Pembroke...

Popular This Week