Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Cabinet supports a trust despite concerns

Published

on

Pembrokeshire County Council: New education ‘Vision’ revealed
PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Cabinet has agreed, in principle, to support the formation of a charitable trust to run its cultural and leisure services despite members expressing concerns over the proposed new model.

The option to go with a charitable trust was the preferred option of consultancy firm Winckworth Sherwood which drew up five options for the future delivery of the services.

Among those options was to retain the status quo and that appeared as one of the favourites from the public consultation.

However, Cabinet were concerned that if they went with the status quo, there would be more cuts to services in the future.

UNISON also submitted a petition to the Council which was entitled ‘Stop the Outsourcing of Council Services’ in order to try and sway the Cabinet’s decision.

Cabinet ignored the views of UNISON and the public and voted unanimously to support, in principle, the preferred option of a trust.

Further work will now be undertaken to establish governance of the trust, financial and staff arrangements.

Speaking at the Cabinet meeting on Monday (Oct 31) Council Leader Jamie Adams said that the Council were at the end of the road in terms of protecting service users from the effects of savings and added they would need to look at different methods of providing the services.

Cllr Elwyn Morse, Cabinet member for Culture, Sport and Leisure, spoke of the savings that had been achieved since 2012/13 stating that Cultural services had saved over £747,000 due to a number of measures.

Leisure services had also increased its income by £432,000 since the same year and added that further rises in charges would risk losing membership and future visits.

Cllr Morse added: “The consideration of an alternative model of service delivery has to be a better alternative than the almost inevitable loss of services.”

Cllr Keith Lewis spoke of the consultation period and how keeping services in house was the preferred option but said: “It is up to Cabinet to decide whether we can do nothing and maintain it as it is.”

Cllr Adams asked about the performance of trusts elsewhere and he was told that many other authorities had gone down this route and that they were generally successful.

He went on to say that he was keen to ensure a county wide leisure service moving forward.

Mr Phillip Hodgson, Interim Director of Social Services and Leisure, said that every effort would be made to mitigate the threat of future cuts.

Cllr Simon Hancock said: “In an ideal world, it would be nice to have things kept in house but the paper makes it abundantly clear that doing nothing is not an option. People who use the archives, leisure services, libraries, when they use that service they are not going to ask themselves, what’s the governance model? They want to make sure the service is kept.

“This journey has been taken by lots of different authorities so it is a national solution to what is a national problem.

“If we close services it will have a very detrimental impact on the wellbeing of Pembrokeshire residents. Access to culture, leisure is central to people’s sense of wellbeing if we do nothing. Keeping the service open is the most important objective of this whole exercise.”

Cllr David Lloyd said: “I speak on behalf of a community that knows what it is like to lose one of these particular assets which is the St David’s Swimming Pool. In June 2009 that pool was closed for financial reasons and it is still bitterly regretted, we have an elderly population that underpin their quality of life by swimming which they can no longer do so any possible way that can be found to protect services in the rest of Pembrokeshire I would absolutely support.

“We’ve been working to replace that pool for seven years and optimistically we are trying to replace and hopefully this model will help us and make that a viable proposition.”

Cllr Rob Lewis spoke of the need to secure services for the future and that it would hang on the strength of the contract that will be drawn up.

He also added that the contract would need to be fit for purpose and that the trust would not happen until everyone was satisfied with it.

Cllr Huw George said he was not convinced about the new model and asked where the voice of the people and staff would be should they not be happy with how things are going.

A task and finish group will also be set up to deliver the recommendation in a timely manner and Cllr Adams asked that this be delegated to himself and the Chief Executive to do so.

Summing up, Cllr Keith Lewis urged that the matter should not turn into a never-ending debate and said there was a need for the council to be pro-active.

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. paola quinn

    October 8, 2025 at 8:12 pm

    Very practical and actionable tips. Watch live star sports cricket live — IPL and international cricket. quick start and stable playback. key moments, interviews. quick start and stable playback.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future

Published

on

A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.

Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.

The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.

Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”

A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.

“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”

Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.

Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.

Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.

“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”

Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.

“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”

As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.

“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”

Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.

“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”

Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies

Published

on

Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school

A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.

Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.

Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.

He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.

The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.

If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads

Published

on

Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.

The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.

Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.

The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.

The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.

Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.

He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”

He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.

Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.

Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.

 

Continue Reading

Business4 hours ago

Tug crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port TUG crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime13 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government14 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News1 day ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime4 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Popular This Week