Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Politics

Record high for new Welsh businesses

Published

on

John Korchak, Director of Operations at Inform Direct: ‘We’re not seeing evidence that the Brexit vote has dented confidence’

NEW figures show that more new companies were registered in Wales during 2016 than in any previous year – and the number of companies in Cardiff passed the 20,000 milestone for the first time.

The total number of businesses now totals 105,039, up from 100,661 at the end of 2015, which equates to 4.3% growth. During 2016, 15,795 new companies were formed.

Cardiff formed the most new companies (3,133), followed by Swansea (1,381) and Rhondda Cynon Taf (1,197).

Merthyr Tydfil saw a 12.6% increase in the number of companies, compared to the total growth of 4.3% across Wales and UK national growth of 5.4%.

The statistics come from the Inform Direct Review of UK Company Formations, using data from Companies House and the Office of National Statistics.

John Korchak, Director of Operations at Inform Direct, said: “These figures underline the positive entrepreneurial culture that fosters new company formations and drives economic growth. So far, at least, we’re not seeing evidence that the Brexit vote has dented confidence among those considering starting up in business.

“Wales again delivered an impressive number of new companies in 2016 – more than in any previous year – demonstrating that it offers a fertile environment for new businesses to spring up and prosper. There were also some interesting areas for growth, with the number of businesses in Cardiff passing the 20,000 milestone for the first time and Merthyr Tydfil showing percentage growth almost three times the rate across Wales.”

Across the UK as a whole, there were a record-breaking 664,720 companies formed – up from 612,565 in 2015.

Of the 601,418 formations in England, 209,869 were in London. 35,502 companies were formed in Scotland, 15,795 in Wales and 7,389 in Northern Ireland. The number of UK companies now stands at 3,962,909.

Continue Reading

Politics

Council Leader confirms intention to stand down

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council Leader Cllr David Simpson has confirmed his intention to stand down next month.

Cllr Simpson, who has been Leader since May 2017, will not seek re-election as Leader of the Council at the Annual General Meeting in May.

Chairing his final Cabinet meeting as Leader on Monday, Cllr Simpson said he was looking forward to spending more time with his family.

Cllr Simpson said: “I would like to thank my fellow Cabinet Members for their commitment to their roles and their support to me personally over the last seven years.

“I also want to put on record my gratitude and thanks to all Council staff for their hard work across all departments.

“I know just how dedicated these staff are, striving to improve lives here in Pembrokeshire.

“I must also thank the people of Pembrokeshire.

“It has been the honour of a lifetime to be the Leader of your council and the best part of the job has been meeting so many people who are committed to making this county a better place to live and work.”

Cllr Simpson will continue to serve as the County Councillor for Lampeter Velfrey.

A new Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council will be elected at the AGM on Friday May 10.

The meeting begins at 11am and will be webcast as normal.

Continue Reading

Politics

Conservative win for seat vacant after death of late Cllr Reg Owens 

Published

on

A FIVE-WAY fight for a new county councillor for the Pembrokeshire ward of St Ishmaels, vacant after the death of the late Reg Owens, has seen a Conservative win.

Earlier this week, Conservative candidate Claire Victoria George was elected county councillor for St Ishmaels after securing 297 votes, beating fellow ‘Tish hopefuls Richard Leighton Jenkins (242), Janie Anne Harwood (69), Robert Simister (52), and Terence ‘Terry’ Worsley (25).

The St Ishmaels county council ward includes the surrounding areas of Dale, Herbrandston, Marloes, St. Brides, Tiers Cross and Walwyn’s Castle.

Following her win, Cllr George said: “I am truly grateful and humbled by the trust the residents of the St Ishmaels ward have placed in me to serve as their county councillor.

“This by-election has been tough for me personally as my father passed away shortly after nominations closed with his funeral was just days before polling. I take comfort in the fact that he would have wanted me to keep campaigning in my ambition to serve the community.

“I am passionate about Pembrokeshire and the assets and opportunities the county offers.  Having worked across the private and public sectors in Pembrokeshire and further afield, I bring a wealth of solutions and experience to the complex world of local government.  My strength lies in working in partnership and maximising the skills and contributions of all.

“Having served as chair of One Voice Wales Pembrokeshire Area Committee for four years and community councillor for Tiers Cross Community Council for 10 years, I understand the concerns of residents and what makes a difference to their daily lives.

“Pembrokeshire, and indeed the St Ishmaels ward, is blessed with creative and responsive communities who come together to support each other.

“As a director of Pembrokeshire Lottery, I recognise the importance of small businesses to our economy and employment.  We must ensure small businesses are encouraged and grown through all the levers Pembrokeshire County Council has from procurement, industrial sites provision to skills and training opportunities.

“I will remember Cllr Reg Owens as a staunch local champion for all the villages and residents of the St Ishmaels ward and I look forward to building upon all his hard work.

“I look forward to working with Pembrokeshire County Council and Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority to respond to the needs and ambitions of the residents of St Ishmaels ward.”

The seat became vacant following the recent death of Councillor Reg Owens.

Councillor Owens, who represented St Ishmaels as an Independent Group member, had served as a county councillor since 2012, and had also served on Herbrandston Community Council, as chair on numerous occasions.

He was also a member of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park for more than a decade, and was chair of its planning committee for five years.

Continue Reading

Politics

Apshalt plant go-ahead expected despite town council concerns

Published

on

A RETROSPECTIVE application for a mobile asphalt batching plant in a Pembrokeshire industrial estate is expected to be approved despite concerns raised by the local town council.

Pembrokeshire County Council’s planning committee, meeting on April 23, is recommended to approve the application by Mr Harries for the retention of the mobile plant at 10 Waterloo Industrial Estate, Pembroke Dock, despite is going against the local development plan.

A report for planners says: “The batching plant is a mobile unit which is raised above the ground on a chassis and wheels to a maximum height of 13.6m above ground level. The batching plant is sited centrally within the site with a stock shed in the western part of the site. There are staff parking and turning areas within the site, welfare facilities and a stock holding area.”

Pembroke Dock Town Council has objected to the plans, citing a lack of information presented with the application, a lack of detail in respect of potential flooding and contamination, no traffic management plan, and no details of a recently erected steel building.

One letter of objection has also been received, saying it’s unclear how the plant can be mobile and raising concerns about the retrospective nature, the accuracy of plans, traffic and highway safety, and potential contamination.

The application – partly in a flood zone – is before the committee as it is contrary to development plan policy but is recommended for approval, with conditions including works ceasing pending remediation if any contamination is found, and associated safety and environmental conditions.

The report adds: “In terms of potential impact on residential amenity, there are no nearby residential properties to the application site.

“The Head of Housing and Public Protection has stated that due to neighbouring business premises it would be appropriate to provide a form of noise abatement which could take the form of full or partial enclosure of fixed noise generating equipment or the provision of a close-boarded fence of sufficient height around the perimeter of the site to reduce the noise levels.

“This could be secured by way of imposing a condition. In addition, the application site has a historic use as a landfill, and it is possible that the land may contain some historic contamination.”

It goes on to say: “Whilst a conflict is identified with [policy], the development is a mobile asphalt batching unit, and whilst the intention is that this is for long term use it would be possible for the plant to be temporarily relocated should there be an impending flood event (tidal flooding is predictable).

“Even if the plant was to remain in the same position within the site, the majority of the plant is raised above ground level by approximately 1m and therefore any consequences of flooding would be minimal. On this basis it is considered that this is a material consideration of sufficient weight to outweigh any identified conflict.”

Continue Reading

News3 days ago

20mph U-turn: Some roads will return to 30mph following public outcry

IN a recent shift in policy, Transport Secretary Ken Skates announced that some roads in Wales will revert to a...

News4 days ago

Police issue update on the search for Luke, missing from Pembroke Dock

POLICE have made the difficult decision to end the search for Luke, following a joint decision by all the agencies...

Entertainment5 days ago

NoFit State Circus set to thrill Pembrokeshire this summer

NoFit State Circus is set to captivate Pembrokeshire once again this summer, as they bring back their thrilling big top...

News6 days ago

Search for missing teenager Luke continues at Pembroke Dock

THE SEARCH for the missing 19-year-old, Luke, continues unabated into its fourth day, with efforts increasingly centred around the waterways...

Crime7 days ago

Estate agents admit health and safety failings following fatal market incident

WEST WALES estate agents J J Morris have appeared before Pembrokeshire law courts charged with failing to discharge general health,...

Crime7 days ago

Pembroke man sent ‘grossly offensive and disgusting’ message to sister

A DISTRICT Judge has described how a Pembroke man sent a ‘disgusting, appalling and grossly offensive’ message to his sister...

News1 week ago

Dragon LNG ‘monitoring’ scrap car blaze in Waterston

A BLAZE has broken out at the Waterston Car Dismantler’s business in Waterston, Milford Haven. Dragon LNG which is situated...

News1 week ago

Major search in the area of The Cleddau Bridge and Hobbs Point

A MULTI-AGENCY rescue response was initiated first thing on Saturday following reports of a person in difficulty in the area...

News2 weeks ago

Newgale pub fire: Cause undetermined, but ruled accidental

THE MID and West Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) has recently concluded its investigation into the fire that devastated the...

Sport2 weeks ago

Jasmine, Lleucu, Carys & Courtney: The Pride of Pembrokeshire

Four rugby players from Pembrokeshire are gearing up to take on Ireland in the Women’s Six Nations this weekend. Jasmine...

Popular This Week