News
Twitchers flock to see rare bird
A RARE BIRD seen in Wales just three times since the 1800s has landed in Pembrokeshire.
The great spotted cuckoo has been photographed in Penally, causing hundreds of bird enthusiasts, or twitchers, to flock to the area.
Experts have said the bird normally migrates from Africa to southern Spain but the warm weather must have caused it to overshoot continental Europe. A great spotted cuckoo was last seen on British shores in Norfolk in 2009. Brian Egan from Rare Bird Alert said the bird arrived in Pembrokeshire last week. He said: “We don’t know if it’s male or female, but it is a young bird and inexperienced, so it’s missed the mainland of Europe while migrating from Africa.”
The British Birds Rarities Committee says this type of cuckoo has been seen in Britain 46 times since records began but this is only the fourth time in Wales.
Over the last few days, bird watchers have tried to catch a glimpse of the cuckoo in Pembrokeshire.
“It’s quite an impressive bird to see,” Mr Egan said. “It’s a very large cuckoo – like the size of a magpie – and very pretty to look at.
“The bird has been here for a few days now and it won’t hang around for long. What happens to them is a mystery, really, we don’t ever really know where he’ll go from here.”
Education
Swansea University chosen to host Google DeepMind AI programme
Fully funded research opportunity aims to widen access for disadvantaged students
SWANSEA UNIVERSITY has been selected to host a prestigious artificial intelligence research programme supported by Google DeepMind, offering fully funded opportunities to undergraduate students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The Research Ready AI Programme will run from June 8 to July 31, 2026, providing participants with hands-on experience in areas including machine learning, robotics, natural language processing and data science.
Students will also benefit from industry engagement, mentoring from leading researchers, and the opportunity to present their work at a final research conference.
The initiative is designed to widen participation in the rapidly growing AI sector by supporting students who may not otherwise have access to research opportunities.
Participants will receive a weekly stipend, free accommodation and travel costs, ensuring financial barriers do not prevent involvement.
Training will include sessions delivered by a Turing Fellow alongside academic experts, giving students insight into cutting-edge research and career pathways in artificial intelligence.
An online information webinar will take place on Tuesday (Feb 25), with applications closing on March 15.
Organisers say the programme aims to build confidence, skills and networks among students who are traditionally under-represented in AI and technology careers.
Swansea University was chosen to host the programme following a competitive selection process, reflecting its growing reputation in computational research and innovation.
Crime
Man jailed for murder of “cherished daughter, family member and dear friend”
A MAN has been sentenced to life imprisonment after admitting the murder of his estranged wife in Cardiff.
Appearing at Cardiff Crown Court today (Feb 20), Thisara Weragalage, aged 38, of Pentwyn, was given a life sentence with a minimum term of 23 years and nine months for the murder of Nirodha Niwunhella.
Weragalage had initially pleaded not guilty but later changed his plea, admitting the offence before the court on January 16, 2025.
The family of 32-year-old Niwunhellage Dona Nirodha Kalapni Niwunhella, known as Nirodha, paid tribute following her death, describing her as “a cherished daughter, family member and dear friend to many”.
They said: “We remember Nirodha as a cherished daughter, family member and dear friend to many. Nirodha will be forever remembered with peace, love and gratitude.
“She touched many lives with her kindness and warmth and her memory will continue to inspire us. Though her life ended too soon, the love she shared will always remain with us.
“Rest in peace angel.”
In a victim personal statement read to the court, her father said: “My only daughter was Nirodha Kalpani Niwunhella. She was a happy, mischievous, playful girl who captivated everyone’s hearts as a child. She loved her mother and father dearly and was a very good friend to her friends. She was a sweet girl who also loved animals.”
He added: “I am 64 years old and my wife is also 64 years old. The pain and anguish we felt when we were informed on August 21 that our daughter had been murdered cannot be described in words. After the brutal murder of our only daughter, all our hopes were ruined. Her loss is an unbearable mental burden for the family.
“We faced a lot of problems because this crime took place abroad. We were further affected by communication difficulties and economic hardships. We were further hurt and mentally distressed after it was confirmed that this crime was committed by our daughter’s husband. We still cannot understand how he could have committed this heinous crime, as we loved him also as much as we loved our daughter.”
Emergency services were called to South Morgan Place in the Riverside area of Cardiff at 7.37am on August 21, following reports of a seriously injured woman. Officers located a broken knife blade and handle nearby, and a post-mortem examination later revealed Nirodha had been stabbed at least twenty times.
Police officers who arrived first at the scene began immediate first aid, followed shortly afterwards by paramedics. Despite their efforts, she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses reported seeing a man — later identified as Weragalage — fleeing in a Ford Fiesta. Fast-track CCTV enquiries confirmed the vehicle was registered to him.
Less than an hour later, officers received a welfare-related call via the ambulance service concerning an incident on Seawall Road. Attending officers identified the man as matching the description circulated in connection with Nirodha’s death. A search of the nearby area located the Ford Fiesta, which contained blood inside, and Weragalage was arrested on suspicion of murder.
Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Graham Williams said: “Nirodha was beloved by her family and friends, and her life was ended by her jealous and cowardly former partner.
“Nirodha was in the process of separating from Weragalage, who could not accept that she no longer wanted to be in a relationship with him. He brought knives to the area which he said were to intimidate her and then went on to murder her.
“I’m pleased he owned up to his cowardly actions and spared Nirodha’s loved ones from enduring a trial. While no sentence can compensate for this loss of life, I hope the end of criminal proceedings helps bring them some peace.
“This sentencing is the result of countless hours of work from teams across the force, and I’d like to thank everyone involved for their time and efforts to secure this outcome. I’d also like to thank those from the community who supported our investigation throughout.
“We will not stand for violence in any form, including violence against women and girls, and we will do everything in our power to hold those responsible to account.”
News
Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget
Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the 2026–27 financial year, confirming another increase in council tax alongside additional investment in key services.
The budget was agreed on Friday (Feb 20) and includes an extra £4.7 million for schools and £5.9 million for Social Care, reflecting continuing demand pressures in both sectors.
Funding has also been allocated to a range of frontline services, including highways, road maintenance and the upkeep of council buildings, as the authority seeks to maintain service levels despite ongoing financial pressures.
As part of the plans, council tax will increase by £1.46 per week for a Band D property. Council leaders say the rise is necessary to help meet growing costs, particularly in social care, staffing and inflation-related pressures affecting local authorities across Wales.
The council says the budget aims to protect essential services while keeping the increase as low as possible, although it acknowledged the impact any rise will have on residents already facing cost-of-living pressures.
Further details of spending allocations and any savings measures are expected to be published in the council’s full budget documents.
-
Health20 hours agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health23 hours agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health22 hours agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business3 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime7 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community4 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education7 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community6 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature







