Connect with us


Wizards hold their nerve to reach final



MERLINS Bridge are through to the final of the West Wales Cup for the first time after they beat Hakin United 8-7 on penalties at the Bridge Meadow on Tuesday night (Mar 26).

A big crowd gathered for the game and they witnessed another classic as Merlins Bridge came from behind to lead in extra time, only for a Justin Harding penalty to level matters and force more spot kicks.

Sadly for Hakin, Jimmy Walker saw his penalty saved by Bridge keeper Gary Thomas and the Wizards celebrated another excellent win.

Both sides had chances to go ahead early on as Harding saw an effort saved before Laurie Haworth saw his effort bounce out off the bar.

Midway through the half it was the Vikings who took the lead as Nicky Woodrow’s stunning effort left Thomas with no chance.

Haworth came close to finding an equaliser when he was played through but Hakin keeper James Manson did well to come out and deny him.

The Bridge came close again but when the half time whistle went it was still the Vikings who held the advantage.

In the second half the Wizards started well as they looked to get back into the game with both Leahy and Haworth coming close.

The Vikings responded and had a good spell of pressure but were unable to add to their lead.

Then with just over twenty minutes to go, Leahy sent a free kick into the box and Adam Hawkins rose highest to head home and make it 1-1.

Five minutes later the Wizards nearly took the lead when Leahy was played through but Manson made a good save to keep the scores level.

Harding then came close for the Vikings but his shot was again saved by Thomas.

Neither side were able to find a late winner and it meant that extra time would be needed.

Six minutes into extra time Merlins Bridge gained the advantage as Leahy was played in and he calmly slotted in.

Woodrow then crossed for Hakin but the Wizards were able to clear before Harding could poke the ball in.

They then had a free kick which Ryan Wilson sent into the box but Shane Walsh’s effort came back off the post.

In the second period of extra time, Hakin almost equalised but Thomas made a good save to tip Bradley Barrett’s shot over the bar.

Just as it looked like the Wizards would see the game out, Hakin were awarded a penalty. Justin Harding held his nerve to score and keep his side in the West Wales Cup.

There was little time left and it meant that the sides would need to be separated by a penalty shoot out.

Greene and Laurie Haworth scored early for the Bridge while Woodrow and Harding replied for Hakin.

After ten penalties it was 5-5 with neither side putting a foot wrong.

It was now into sudden death and Andrew John and Alex Ouzman both scored their respective penalties to make it 7-7.

Gethin Roberts then scored for the Bridge but Hakin’s Jimmy Walker saw his spot kick saved by Thomas sparking wild celebrations amongst the Bridge players and coaches.

It means a first West Wales Cup Final appearance for the Wizards and it could be an all Pembrokeshire final if Carew beat Giants Grave in the other semi tonight (Mar 27).

The final will take place at the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday, May 7.


Ammanford sign Kurtis Marsh from Lawrenny



LAWRENNY’S Kurtis Marsh will play for Ammanford Cricket Club in the 2022 season after the two clubs agreed a deal.

Marsh was one of Lawrenny’s stand out performers in Division 1 of the Pembrokeshire League this year.

He scored a number of important centuries and fifties as his club just missed out on securing the league title.

In total he scored 1070 runs in 15 innings while his highest score was 140 not out.

He was the Division’s highest scorer by just over 200 runs and was unbeaten in five innings.

On Twitter, Lawrenny Cricket Club said: “Absolutely gutted to lose Kurtis Marsh to Ammanford but he absolutely deserves this opportunity to play at a higher level. An unbelievable player and a top, top bloke. Go and smash it up there Kurt!!”

Marsh will now look forward to testing himself in Division 1 of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

Continue Reading


Carew and Hakin earn big wins in West Wales Cup



CAREW and Hakin United were big winners on Saturday (Oct 9) as they booked their places in round two of the West Wales Cup.

Carew travelled to Neath Premier Division side Cilfrew Rovers and it didn’t take them long to settle as James Hinchcliffe scored in the opening minute.

Cilfrew’s task became ever harder three minutes later as Adam Muskett scored to put his side in a strong position.

Matthew Evans pulled a goal back for the Rovers after 16 minutes but with five to go until half time Carew scored their third through Sam Christopher.

Muskett and Hinchcliffe scored in quick succession in the second half to all but seal the win for the Rooks.

Goals continued to come as Muskett completed his hat trick before Shaun Whitfield, a Dylan Morgan penalty and two from sub Jack Christopher took Carew’s score into double figures.

Muskett then got his fourth of the game to make it 11-1 to Carew.

Hakin also made the trip to Neath to face Division 1 side Resolven and, like Carew, they did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game.

It came from Justin Harding after four minutes and it was soon 2-0 as Jaden Chapman scored.

Ben Aldred then scored two goals in the space of two minutes, both assisted by Ryan Wilson, to effectively win the game for the visitors.

Harding added his second and Hakin’s fifth shortly before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half, the Vikings added a sixth as sub Laurie Haworth found the back of the net.

Aldred and Chapman added to the scoring before Shane Walsh scored with three minutes to go to seal a 9-0 win.

Kilgetty bowed out of the competition as they were beaten 4-2 by Giants Grave. St Ishmaels were also sent packing after they were beaten 7-3 by CKSV.

Merlins Bridge’s game away at Treboeth was postponed because of a positive covid-19 case amongst one of the Neath teams’ players.

Continue Reading


Saints go through to round two



ST Clears booked their place in the second round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Oct 9) as they beat Llangyfelach 3-0.

The Saints started the game slowly with most of the squad having been at captain Danny Peters’ wedding the day before.

Swansea Senior League Division 2 side Llangyfelach hit the post early on in what was their only real chance of the first half.

The Saints had quite a few chances to take the lead as Steve Thomas hit the bar with a good header from Ben John.

They slowly got on top and and they finally took the lead when the Llangyfelach keeper spilled a corner and Kyran Lewis nodded in from close range.

The second half was tight with more chances coming for the visitors but it was also heated at times with a number of yellow cards shown.

The second goal for the Saints when Nick squire hit a 30 yard effort from outside the box into the top corner, assisted by Martin Thomas.

Shortly before full time, the home side had Michael Matwychuk sent off for an apparent off the ball elbow.

Nick squire scored his second of the game from close range not long after to seal the victory.

The Saints’ reward for their win is a home tie against Felinfoel in the second round.

Continue Reading


News12 hours ago

Nathaniel Nuttal charged over serious assault in Monkton

A 32-YEAR-OLD man who was arrested following a serious assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13) has appeared in...

News1 day ago

New video of Haverfordwest High School construction project

A new video has been released of the incredible progress made at Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest capital project to date. ...

News1 day ago

Monkton man in hospital with serious injuries following early morning assault

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13)....

Education2 days ago

Shwmae ‘rocks’ project in the lead-up to Shwmae Day

TO mark Shwmae Day this year, Pembrokeshire County Council and Menter Iaith Sir Benfro have come together to create a...

News3 days ago

“Inspirational” Haverfordwest station retailer celebrates 60 years’ service

A STATION retailer who has clocked up 60 years’ service has been praised as “an inspirational member of the railway...

News3 days ago

Visiting to Withybush Hospital to restart tomorrow for some wards

VISITING to Withybush Hospital will restart tomorrow, Wednesday (Oct 13), however, visiting for wards 10 and 12 will remain restricted at this...

Health4 days ago

A round up of Covid changes to measures and information

FROM Today (Oct 12) Pembrokeshire County Council is urging the public to be vigilant following the important changes to the...

News4 days ago

Neyland: Jason James sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

A MAN has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence –...

Health4 days ago

Hywel Dda Health Board: Visiting restrictions for Withybush Hospital

DUE to increased cases of Covid-19 in hospital and the community, the decision has been made to close Withybush Hospital...

Business4 days ago

Online buyers prefer real-life human help over AI says Currys

Tech buyers in the decade to come will prefer real-life human help to faceless robot retail New look Currys predicts an era...

Popular This Week