Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Ryelands Caravan Park extension gets go-ahead from council

Published

on

AN EXTENSION to Ryelands Caravan Park has been approved by Pembrokeshire County Council.
The Council’s Planning Committee met on Tuesday, May 21, to discuss the application which was approved by a clear majority.

There had been concerns about the road leading to the site and the number of pitches on site and a site visit was also asked for.
Members did not feel the need to go for a site visit and were reassured by the Council’s Interim Head of Planning that there would be no increase in number of caravans beyond what is allowed.

The applicant’s agent, Mr Andrew Vaughan-Harries, said: “The owner has had this site for the last few years. This is a touring site and times are changing, tourers are getting bigger and bigger and since taking on the site Mr Ormond has seen a demand that actually, people do not want to take their tourers with them any more.
“They love Pembrokeshire and they lease or buy a pitch from sites like this and they don’t want the hassle and difficulty of taking their tourers up, they’re getting much bigger these days you need a very big car or 4×4 to take them down the M4 so we are having a demand to stay on site and there is a certificate of lawfulness that we can have 78 pitches.
“This application doesn’t increase that number and objectors may say will this cause more highways danger, we don’t think so, it’s neutral and through the change of touring less and less people are taking their tourers along, they love Pembrokeshire and they want to stay at the site so they leave their tourers there.
“That is why the site is going to be enhanced, we will have more planting, more facilities so people want a little bit of privacy. It will be a lower density where these caravan pitches will be spread out.
“The town council are supportive but raise comments about highways but there shouldn’t be any increase.
“It’s a quality enhancement, integrating into the landscape, it’s well related to the village of Kilgetty, there is a train service, buses, shops, cafes and it’s in walkable distance of Folly Farm.
“Mr Ormond has said he will be looking to take on two part time or full time jobs and there is going to be an investment of around 100k for the meet and greet building and landscaping so there is going to be some boost to the local economy.
“This is a quality scheme and it is only going to enhance this area and tourism in Pembrokeshire.”
Objecting to the plans, Mr Byron Mansell said: “I have concerns about the lack of consultation regarding the resubmission. Myself and the owner of the fields adjacent to the caravan park have had no communication whatsoever from any of the agents or the council.
“There is 12 further caravans going against their boundary hedge which is 75m from my house. The meet and greet building will be approximately 100m from my house.
“I wish to object strongly to this planning application mainly on road safety grounds. My family have lived at Highlands for 40 years, we have seen many changes in this time. Ryelands Lane has been widened with a footpath and street lighting except when it comes to our house.
“It is a single track road and there is no room for any pedestrians and you would need to climb the hedge to allow vehicles to pass. Accidents are happening regularly and it is just a matter of time before somebody is seriously hurt.
“Whichever way you look at it there is going to be a significant increase in traffic in the lane.
“Kilgetty and Begelly Community Council are concerned about the road safety and describe this as a rural, narrow part of Ryelands Lane.
This has been the concern as far back as 1976.
“We have reached the limit on Ryelands Lane, please no more, we strongly recommend you refuse this application on road safety grounds or at least defer to allow a thorough consultation, road safety survey to be completed and we would like to request a site visit.”
Committee Chair, Cllr Jacob Williams read out a statement from the local member Cllr David Pugh who said: “Whilst I am generally in favour of the application, there is one issue concerning the access to the site which is along a short stretch of very narrow lane which is becoming notorious for accidents and near misses. The residents at the top of Ryelands Lane near the site have been complaining for some time about speeding vehicles. I and the community council have raised thses issues with the highways department who are supposed to be looking at these concerns but I have not heard anything lately.
“The report to the committee also states that no response was received from Kilgetty and Begelly Community Council but they sent in their response raising these concerns some time ago.”

There was some doubt about the number of pitches on the site and whether or not there would be an increase in 20 pitches. There was also concern that the touring caravans could be kept on the site all year round.

It was pointed out that the certificate of lawfulness did not have a limit on the number of pitches. The Council’s Interim Head of Planning, Mr David Popplewell said they would need to monitor the site to make sure it was being used as a caravan site.
Cllr Brian Hall moved the recommendation for approval and Cllr David Howlett seconded.

Continue Reading

News

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the second day of his trial.

James Oulton, 34, of Haverfordwest would put his hands around students’ waists and touch their bottoms, an ex-female pupil said in a video interview played to Swansea Crown Court.

The defendant denies 30 charges of sexual assault at a primary school in Haverfordwest. The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

On the opening day of the trial, court heard that Oulton said the case was a “witch-hunt” and that he always behaved appropriately with children.

On Tuesday, the jury watched the video interview with one of Oulton’s former pupils, who said he was a “friendly person, very chatty and sociable and quite outgoing and wanted to know everything that was going on.”

She added: “Mr Oulton often wanted to know a lot of details on what we had done over the weekend, where we had been, and also who they had been with.”

“At the time I just thought he was trying to be really friendly but now when I look back at it now, it does seem odd.”

The witness also described the defendant as a “very touchy-feely teacher”.

She added: “If he was marking your work or if you approached him to ask him a question, he would put his hands around your waist or around your bum”.

“If he was standing by his desk, he would, like, motion to his knee, so he wouldn’t ask you directly to sit on his lap but he would tap his knee.”

Swansea Crown Court heard that the witness eventually came forward and told her parents parents after she heard them speaking about Mr Oulton being suspended from his job.

“Did you feel under pressure to say something had happened to you?” asked Mr Clee.

The witness answered “No”

Oulton, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, previously told the court he had behaved appropriately.

He also believed letters were sent by Pembrokeshire County Council to parents which encouraged “deliberately false evidence” and collusion between pupils.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading

News

‘We don’t want it’: councillors object to HGV tanker park plans

Published

on

PEMBROKE DOCK town councillors have objected strongly to plans to build a HGV tanker park in the town.

The tanker park would be located on the south-western side of Criterion Way, behind the ASDA petrol station.

However, at a meeting of the town council’s Planning Committee on Tuesday, April 13, councillors were in agreement that it would create more problems for the town.

Councillor Jonathan George said: “I’ve noted the public input on this and they don’t seem very happy about where it’s going to be put.

“It is close to a small park area and I don’t think it’s suitable to put this here. I won’t be supporting this.”

Cllr George Manning added: “There are many aspects of this which are totally inappropriate for Pembroke Dock. There are many other sites available but they haven’t looked at any of them.

“This does not do anything for the Future Generations act and it will bring more disruption to the town.

“This does not bring about any improvements to the existing transport infrastructure. There are lots of things about this, we don’t want it. I don’t think they have looked into it in enough detail.”

Cllr Gordon Goff said that the impact it would have on the public and wildlife would be ‘astronomical’.

He went on to say he was not happy with one of the statements in the application and said they ‘don’t want to be blackmailed’.

One of the documents submitted with the application states that if the development was not approved it would mean that the applicants, Certas, ‘will either have to find a different site’ or ‘will have to cease operating in the area’.

Cllr Terry Judkins said that the Port Authority wanted to ‘use Pembroke Dock as a dumping ground’ and added that he could not support it.

Cllr Maureen Colgan added that she was ‘totally against’ the application and said that the area should be kept for leisure and be developed as an area where people can sit and enjoy themselves.

The application is due to be decided by Pembrokeshire County Council at a later date.

Cllr Paul Dowson has already called in the application for it to be debated by the County Council’s Planning Committee.

In his request he states that it is too near habitation, it is within the Pembroke Dock conservation area and that children have been using the area near the bandstand as play area for over 20 years.

The area had also previously been the subject of an application for a marina and other leisure facilities but that investment was written off in 2017.

Continue Reading

News

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a witch hunt by the police, a jury has heard.

But at Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Apr 12), the Clare Wilks for the prosecution said that the defendant had “abused the trust of parents and staff” by sexually touching children in his care.

James Oulton, denies 30 charges of sexual assault against the eleven children who were aged eight or nine years old at the time.

The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

The jury heard how the pupils, now aged between 11 and 17, claimed he touched them sexually.

But the court was also told that Mr Oulton claimed he received cards at the end of term, and he believed letters sent by Pembrokeshire council to parents encouraged false complaints and collusion between pupils.

Oulton, 34, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, told the court he had behaved appropriately.

The jury heard how the alleged abuse occurred while Mr Oulton was working at a primary school in Haverfordwest.

Clare Wilks, prosecuting, said some of the children alleged that they had been assaulted on a daily basis, while others had had given statements to say it only happened the one time.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the...

Entertainment1 day ago

BAFTA winner Sir Anthony Hopkins visits St. Davids

CELEBRATING his BAFTA win, Sir Anthony Hopkins has been vaccinated and returned to his native country of Wales where he...

News2 days ago

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a...

News2 days ago

Kill the Bill protest to take place in Haverfordwest on Saturday

INDIVIDUALS and activists from local groups, including Extinction Rebellion Pembrokeshire, Stand Up to Racism West Wales, Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly and...

News2 days ago

Everything you need to know about the current coronavirus restrictions in Wales

THE GOVERNMENT guidelines in Wales are changing today (Apr 12). There are major changes coming into force today across the...

Health2 days ago

New Covid vaccine arrives first in West Wales

THE FIRST person in the UK to receive the Moderna vaccine against Covid-19 got their jab at 8:30 in the...

News2 days ago

Ten years in prison for Milford Haven taxi driver who raped passenger

ANTHONY MARCUS JONES, 43, a taxi driver from Hawthorn Path, Mount Estate, Milford Haven has been sentenced to ten years...

News4 days ago

Police: RNLI ‘most likely saved man’s life’ following tombstoning incident

POLICE have issued an urgent warning following a tombstoning incident Tenby on Saturday evening (Apr 10). A multi-agency operation was...

News5 days ago

Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over...

News5 days ago

Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

The Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen’s ‘strength and stay’ for 73 years, has died aged 99. Prince Philip’s health had...

Popular This Week