Connect with us


Archers prove too strong for Bluebirds again



CARDIFF MET secured another win over Haverfordwest County on Tuesday night (Apr 27) as they came away from the Bridge Meadow with a 2-0 win.

Only a week had passed since the Bluebirds were thumped 6-1 by the Archers but they were keen to avoid a repeat and that showed early on as they attacked from the off.

Jack Wilson saw a shot blocked in the second minute before Daniel Summerfield fired the ball over the bar.

Midway through the first half the Archers had their first real chance of the game as Chris Baker fired towards goal but Wojciech Gajda made a comfortable save.

Elliot Evans was next to have a go for the visitors but Gajda again made the save.

On the stroke of half time, Kieran Lewis found Cameron Keetch down the left and he crossed into the box for Ben Fawcett but his effort was saved by Met keeper Alex Lang.

Fawcett had another effort soon after which went wide but the sides were still level when the half time whistle went.

Early in the second half, the Met won the ball back and it was sent into the box for Evans but he volleyed wide of the goal.

The home side were then forced to make an early change as Kieran Lewis went off injured to be replaced by Marcus Griffiths.

Cameron Keetch then sent a strong shot towards goal but Lang did well to tip it wide for a corner. From the resulting set piece, the Bluebirds almost went ahead but Summerfield headed just over.

Evans then saw another shot saved but on the hour mark he finally had his goal. The hosts were caught on the break and Evans fired in under Gajda to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Tom Price then sent an effort wide for the Met before they doubled their lead on 69 minutes. A corner into the box was unfortunately headed into his own net by Keetch.

Jack Wilson fired a volley wide late on but that was as good as it got for the hosts as the Met celebrated another win to keep their recent good run of form going.


Neyland progress to Welsh Cup quarter finals



NEYLAND set up a Welsh Cup quarter final tie with Newport after they beat Clydach on Sunday (Jul 25).

Clydach won the toss and chose to bat first and had looked set to make a good total as they reached a score of 82-1.

However, the home side collapsed to 125 all out before Neyland reached their target with six wickets in hand.

Jason Davies was the first wicket to fall as he was caught by Nathan Banner off the bowling of Andrew Miller on a score of 33.

Soon after, Ross Hardy trapped Sam Davies leg before on a score of 40.

Steff Davies and Jonathan Hubschmid took the score into three figures but Miller returned to have Davies caught by Scott Jones.

Hubschmid had made 18 with a four and two sixes but Nathan Banner took the catch to dismiss him and to give Miller his third wicket.

Hardy then had James Garland caught by Geraint Rees and Nicky Fisher caught by Gregg Miller as Clydach slipped from 111-3 to 111-6.

Andrew Miller then had Jack Todd caught by Rees and Jo Farthing stumped by Sean Hannon on a duck.

Jones came on and had Callum Hanney caught by Gregg Miller and Cameron Rees caught fittingly by Andrew Miller.

Miller’s excellent bowling saw him finish with figures of 5-32.

It meant Neyland would need just 126 to win the game and go through to the quarter finals.

Neyland lost Nick Koomen early in their reply when he fell to the bowling of Jamie Lewis.

Scott Jones and Ashley Sutton pushed the score into the fifties but Jones was trapped leg before by Jonathan Hubschmid.

Nathan Banner was also trapped leg before by Jo Farthing as Neyland were reduced to 55-3.

Sutton and Gregg Miller then shared another 56 runs to all but seal the win for the visitors.

Sutton reached his half century but then saw Miller depart having made a score of 21.

That was the last of the wickets to fall as Sutton finished unbeaten on 66 to take Neyland to their target.

Sutton’s knock included nine fours and three sixes as he helped Neyland to a home quarter final tie with Newport.

That game will take place on Sunday, August 15.

Continue Reading


Whitland move out of bottom two after beating Saundersfoot



WHITLAND moved out of the bottom two on Saturday (Jul 24) as they beat Saundersfoot by eight runs.

Saundersfoot won the toss but asked Whitland to bat first and they were able to reach 196 before being bowled out.

Geraint Jones was unlucky to miss out on a century as he fell on a score of 99.

He and Jonathan Thomas had rescued Whitland from a score of 18-3 with Sam Franklin claiming the first of his five wickets.

Thomas was out on a score of 26 to the bowling of John Mansbridge before Jones left the score on 159-5.

Scott Newton made a late score of 31 with three fours and two sixes but Saundersfoot hit back well to bowl Whitland out.

Saundersfoot struggled early on in their reply and soon found themselves on 48-5.

Geraint Jones (2), Wayne Howells (2) and Scott Newton (1) did the damage early on to give Whitland a great chance of victory.

Saundersfoot hit back again though as Sam Franklin and Simon Stanford shared 63 runs for the sixth wicket.

That partnership was broken by Jonathan Thomas who had Stanford caught by Jamie Thomas on a score of 32.

More wickets fell and when Franklin fell to Newton on a score of 53 Saundersfoot’s hopes of victory began to fade.

There were late scores of 17 from Jack Franklin and an unbeaten 17 from Tudor Hurle but it wasn’t enough to send their side to victory.

Jones, Newton, Thomas and Howells all picked up two wickets for Whitland while Conor Bowen and Kevin Pearce claimed the other two as all of their bowlers picked up wickets.

It was just a third win of the season for Whitland who will look to push on as they try to avoid the drop to Division 2.

On Saturday, July 31, Whitland are away to bottom side Llechryd while Saundersfoot travel to Neyland.

Continue Reading


Town bowl Tish out to earn victory



HAVERFORDWEST bowled out St Ishmaels on Saturday (Jul 24) to earn victory by 27 runs.

Tish had earlier won the toss and chose to field and they were also able to bowl Town out for 198.

However, they could not reach their target as they were bowled out for 171.

The defeat sees Tish slip back into the relegation places while Haverfordwest pulled themselves away from the bottom two after picking up 19 points.

Town had been in trouble on 57-4 and then 88-5 but Ben Field’s score of 78 helped Town towards 200 runs.

Field’s score included seven fours and three sixes but he was eventually removed by Lewis Rhead who had him caught by Jonathan Pawlett.

Dai Davies’ score of 20 and Jack Scriven’s late score of 36 helped Town to their total.

Rhead finished with figures of 3-24 for Tish while Andrew Palmer also bowled well for figures of 2-21.

Andrew Williams also took two wickets for Tish.

In reply, Tish lost two early wickets to slip to 21-2 as Ashley James picked up the two wickets.

Ieuan Hawkins scored 31 before he fell to Johnnie White and he then also removed Phil Cockburn on a score of 26.

Daniel Richards and Peter Bradshaw then shared 50 runs for the fifth wicket as they looked to keep their side in the game.

However, Richards was then caught by Dai Davies off the bowling of Archie Thomas on a score of 57 that had included ten fours.

Further wickets fell and when Bradshaw fell for a score of 14, Tish had slipped to 150-8.

Andrew Pawlett gave Tish late hope with a four and a six in a quick fire score of 16 from 11 balls but he fell to Johnnie White.

Archie Thomas claimed his fourth and the last wicket of the day to seal the win for Town.

Thomas finished with figures of 4-30 while White had 3-36 and James finished with 3-31 in what was a good display from Town’s bowlers.

Continue Reading
News10 mins ago

Cardigan man accused of murder in court

A CARDIGAN man who is accused of stabbing a man to death has appeared in court today (Jul 28). Ashley...

News2 hours ago

Park Authority Committee tours successful carbon reduction projects

MEMBERS of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority’s Sustainable Development Fund (SDF) Committee made a tour of local projects recently that...

News1 day ago

Firefighters respond to industrial unit fire at Rope Walk, Hakin, Milford Haven

EMERGENCY SERVICES are responding to a fire at an industrial unit off the Rope Walk in Hakin, Milford Haven this...

featured1 day ago

Trial bathing water testing project makes a splash

A TRIAL project is making waves in the way the quality of bathing water is recorded and how that information...

News2 days ago

Three people hit by vehicle in Castle Lake Car Park, Haverfordwest

A HIT AND RUN incident in a Haverfordwest Car Park on Saturday night (Jul 24) left three people with minor...

Business2 days ago

Dragon Palace owners take on The Woodridge Inn Hotel, Saundersfoot

AFTER five years running the popular Dragon Palace Chinese restaurant at Pentlepoir in Pembrokeshire, owners Jenny and Lok Cheung have...

News3 days ago

Police forensics investigation underway at Castle Lake car park, Haverfordwest

SPECIALIST officers from Dyfed-Powys Police are conducting a forensics investigation following an earlier incident at a Haverfordwest car park. Scenes...

News5 days ago

Man, 22, charged with murder of John William Bell in Cardigan

A CARDIGAN man has been charged with murder after a man’s death in Ceredigion. John Bell, 37, and also from...

News5 days ago

‘Plan ahead this summer’, says Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council

THE FOLLOWING is a message from the Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council, Cllr David Simpson: Hello everyone, I hope you...

News6 days ago

Devastated family’s tribute to ‘loving and devoted’ son

THE FAMILY of the 37-year-old man who died in Cardigan in the early hours of Wednesday morning (Jul 21) have...

Popular This Week