Community
Pupils wow judges in reading competition

Pictured with pupils from Year 6 are: Councillor Sue Perkins; Andrew Williams, Headteacher; Debra Phillips, Deputy Headteacher and Vanessa Bennett, Classroom Assistant.
PUPILS at Broad Haven Primary School have once again wowed judges at the finals of a national reading competition.
Children from the school’s Year 6 have scooped the top prize at ‘Bookslam 2013-14’ – a Welsh Books Council competition for primary schools across Wales. The pupils impressed the judging panel with their discussion and presentation of two books – Carrie’s War by Nina Bawden and Silent Mountain by Michelle Briscombe. The final took place at Brecon Theatre on Tuesday, June 17. “Their performance was superb,” said Headteacher Andrew Williams. “They have worked really hard, and when they heard they’d come first, they were shocked but delighted.” The school previously won the competition in 2011, while Narberth CP School scooped the honours last year, with Ysgol Gelli Aur coming runnersup. “It’s been great to continue the success that Pembrokeshire has had in the competition,” added Mr Williams. ‘BookSlam’ invited pupils to read an array of books published in Wales, and discuss them and present them in their own voices. It aims to encourage children’s interest in books and develop literacy, discussion and presentation skills. Deputy Headteacher Debbie Phillips prepared the class for the competition, along with Mrs Bennett and Miss Moszoro. “The whole class took part,” said Mrs Phillips. “Nine were involved in the drama, and four took part in the discussion. But everybody benefited. It does tailor so well with the literacy framework and it’s so rewarding. Without realising it, the pupils are skimming and scanning and developing their higher order reading and thinking, so they already have a really sound base to work from when they get to secondary school. The children’s skills improved so much from start to finish.” She added that it was also a lot of fun for the children. “Waiting for the result in the final was like being at the Oscars! It’s a real confidence booster.” Councillor Sue Perkins, Cabinet Member for Education and Safeguarding, congratulated the school on their achievement. “Pembrokeshire has become a beacon for excellence in this competition, with not only Broad Haven but also Narberth School and Ysgol Gelli Aur attaining success in recent years,” she said. “It’s very encouraging to see such high literacy levels in the County.” Eva John, literacy advisor for Pembrokeshire County Council, said the competition was a celebration of Welsh culture and broadens the pupils’ outlook. “It’s also really good for improving their oracy skills, which are a big focus within literacy in schools,” she said. “The judge for the Pembrokeshire-wide competition has said that the quality of discussion has improved considerably over the years.”
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Community
Government refusal to compensate 1950s-born women sparks legal row
Campaigners in west Wales accuse ministers of discrimination after Ombudsman findings rejected
WOMEN born in the 1950s across Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire are threatening legal action after the UK Government refused to pay compensation despite accepting maladministration in pension age communications.
The controversy follows a decision by the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Pat McFadden MP, to reject recommendations from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO), which had investigated delays in notifying women about increases to the State Pension age.
In a letter sent to all MPs on January 29, the Secretary of State accepted that government failings caused a 28-month delay in sending letters to affected women but concluded that compensation would not be appropriate. He argued that most women were already aware that the State Pension age was rising and that there was no direct financial loss caused by the delay.
The Government also cited the projected cost of a compensation scheme — estimated at up to £10.3 billion — as part of its reasoning.
However, campaigners say the decision is unlawful and discriminatory.
Jackie Gilderdale, organiser for Pembrokeshire and Carmarthen West 1950s Women of Wales, has written to local MP Henry Tufnell calling for the decision to be suspended and for independent mediation between ministers and campaign groups.
She said the Government had accepted wrongdoing but refused to remedy the consequences.
Campaigners argue that many women lost opportunities to plan financially for retirement due to the communication failures, particularly those with lower incomes, caring responsibilities or interrupted employment histories.
The letter claims the decision breaches equality law and administrative justice principles, and could be challenged through judicial review or other legal action.
It also raises concerns about consultation, alleging ministers relied on engagement with a single organisation representing only a small proportion of affected women rather than recognised campaign groups.
The dispute forms part of a long-running national controversy over pension age changes affecting women born in the 1950s, often associated with the WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality) movement.
The Ombudsman’s investigation, published in March 2024 after six years of work, found maladministration in the Department for Work and Pensions’ communication strategy and recommended a compensation framework.
While accepting fault, the Government maintains that the injustice threshold for compensation was not met.
Campaigners disagree, arguing that loss of opportunity — such as the chance to remain in work or adjust savings — constitutes a real and compensable harm.
A parliamentary petition calling for mediation between ministers and affected women has already attracted more than 60,000 signatures.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community23 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway









