Connect with us


Late goals see Bluebirds into round three



HAVERFORDWEST COUNTY booked their place in round three of the Nathaniel MG Cup on Saturday (Aug 7) as they beat Goytre United 3-0 at the Bridge Meadow.

The game was the Bluebirds’ first competitive game of the season, while opponents Goytre held a 100% record from their opening three JD Cymru South games.

With social distancing rules being relaxed there was a good crowd at the Bridge Meadow but they saw a first half that lacked any real chances.

The goals eventually came late on as the Bluebirds were finally rewarded for their dominance.

New signing and captain Dylan Rees was in the starting line up for the home side as was Henry Jones who also signed in the summer.

The first chance of the game fell the way of the hosts as Corey Shephard sent a strong shot just over the bar.

Ten minutes later, Shephard found Jack Wilson in the box but the striker saw his shot deflected wide for a corner. From the resulting corner Dylan Rees was brought down in the box but the referee pointed for a goal kick.

Jack Wilson sees his effort blocked

Kieran Lewis then found Wilson but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and Goytre were able to clear.

Daniel Birch then saw a shot blocked for the visitors and the ball fell to Louis Gerrard but his low drive was comfortably gathered by County keeper Wojciech Gajda.

Birch then crossed into the box for Liam Griffiths whose header looped just over the bar with Gajda scrambling to try and reach it.

Dylan Rees and Henry Jones linked up well for the Bluebirds but, as had been the case on a couple of occasions in the first half, the final ball was lacking and Goytre were able to get the ball away.

On the stroke of half time Jones sent a long range effort wide of the posts and the score remained 0-0 when the referee brought the first half to a close.

Both sides knew that the first goal would prove crucial and it was the Bluebirds who were inches away from getting it, ten minutes in to the second half.

Kieran Lewis saw his low shot come back off the post and Goytre breathed a sigh of relief.

With twenty minutes to go the visitors enjoyed a good spell of possession. However, Callum Bateman may have rued his decision to shoot from a free kick in the middle of the half when he could have floated it into the box for a team mate.

Liam Griffiths then saw his effort go over but it wouldn’t have counted had it gone as the flag had gone up for offside.

Louis Gerrard was then played in but Gajda, who had had little to do, came out to clear the ball away.

With fifteen minutes to go the Bluebirds finally got the breakthrough as Shephard’s cross from the right fell kindly for Kieran Lewis and he had time to compose himself before lifting the ball into the net.

Gerrard then had another chance for the visitors as they looked for a late equaliser but his weak shot was easily saved by Gajda.

With the clock ticking towards 90 minutes, the Bluebirds broke and Wilson held the ball up well before squaring for sub Mason Jones-Thomas. He then sent a cross into the box and after Wilson left it Henry Jones was on hand to curl the ball back across goal and into the net.

In injury time, Goytre were reduced to ten men as Callum Bateman was shown a second yellow for late tackle.

Corey Shephard had a good game for the Bluebirds

There was still time for Jazz Richards to try his luck but when his shot was saved the ball fell to Shephard who fired in to the bottom corner for a deserved goal.

That was the last kick of the game and the Bluebirds will now look forward to the draw for the third round.

The Bluebirds begin their JD Cymru Premier campaign next Saturday (Aug 14) as they travel to Caernarfon Town.


Ammanford sign Kurtis Marsh from Lawrenny



LAWRENNY’S Kurtis Marsh will play for Ammanford Cricket Club in the 2022 season after the two clubs agreed a deal.

Marsh was one of Lawrenny’s stand out performers in Division 1 of the Pembrokeshire League this year.

He scored a number of important centuries and fifties as his club just missed out on securing the league title.

In total he scored 1070 runs in 15 innings while his highest score was 140 not out.

He was the Division’s highest scorer by just over 200 runs and was unbeaten in five innings.

On Twitter, Lawrenny Cricket Club said: “Absolutely gutted to lose Kurtis Marsh to Ammanford but he absolutely deserves this opportunity to play at a higher level. An unbelievable player and a top, top bloke. Go and smash it up there Kurt!!”

Marsh will now look forward to testing himself in Division 1 of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

Continue Reading


Carew and Hakin earn big wins in West Wales Cup



CAREW and Hakin United were big winners on Saturday (Oct 9) as they booked their places in round two of the West Wales Cup.

Carew travelled to Neath Premier Division side Cilfrew Rovers and it didn’t take them long to settle as James Hinchcliffe scored in the opening minute.

Cilfrew’s task became ever harder three minutes later as Adam Muskett scored to put his side in a strong position.

Matthew Evans pulled a goal back for the Rovers after 16 minutes but with five to go until half time Carew scored their third through Sam Christopher.

Muskett and Hinchcliffe scored in quick succession in the second half to all but seal the win for the Rooks.

Goals continued to come as Muskett completed his hat trick before Shaun Whitfield, a Dylan Morgan penalty and two from sub Jack Christopher took Carew’s score into double figures.

Muskett then got his fourth of the game to make it 11-1 to Carew.

Hakin also made the trip to Neath to face Division 1 side Resolven and, like Carew, they did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game.

It came from Justin Harding after four minutes and it was soon 2-0 as Jaden Chapman scored.

Ben Aldred then scored two goals in the space of two minutes, both assisted by Ryan Wilson, to effectively win the game for the visitors.

Harding added his second and Hakin’s fifth shortly before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half, the Vikings added a sixth as sub Laurie Haworth found the back of the net.

Aldred and Chapman added to the scoring before Shane Walsh scored with three minutes to go to seal a 9-0 win.

Kilgetty bowed out of the competition as they were beaten 4-2 by Giants Grave. St Ishmaels were also sent packing after they were beaten 7-3 by CKSV.

Merlins Bridge’s game away at Treboeth was postponed because of a positive covid-19 case amongst one of the Neath teams’ players.

Continue Reading


Saints go through to round two



ST Clears booked their place in the second round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Oct 9) as they beat Llangyfelach 3-0.

The Saints started the game slowly with most of the squad having been at captain Danny Peters’ wedding the day before.

Swansea Senior League Division 2 side Llangyfelach hit the post early on in what was their only real chance of the first half.

The Saints had quite a few chances to take the lead as Steve Thomas hit the bar with a good header from Ben John.

They slowly got on top and and they finally took the lead when the Llangyfelach keeper spilled a corner and Kyran Lewis nodded in from close range.

The second half was tight with more chances coming for the visitors but it was also heated at times with a number of yellow cards shown.

The second goal for the Saints when Nick squire hit a 30 yard effort from outside the box into the top corner, assisted by Martin Thomas.

Shortly before full time, the home side had Michael Matwychuk sent off for an apparent off the ball elbow.

Nick squire scored his second of the game from close range not long after to seal the victory.

The Saints’ reward for their win is a home tie against Felinfoel in the second round.

Continue Reading


News21 hours ago

Nathaniel Nuttal charged over serious assault in Monkton

A 32-YEAR-OLD man who was arrested following a serious assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13) has appeared in...

News2 days ago

New video of Haverfordwest High School construction project

A new video has been released of the incredible progress made at Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest capital project to date. ...

News2 days ago

Monkton man in hospital with serious injuries following early morning assault

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13)....

Education3 days ago

Shwmae ‘rocks’ project in the lead-up to Shwmae Day

TO mark Shwmae Day this year, Pembrokeshire County Council and Menter Iaith Sir Benfro have come together to create a...

News3 days ago

“Inspirational” Haverfordwest station retailer celebrates 60 years’ service

A STATION retailer who has clocked up 60 years’ service has been praised as “an inspirational member of the railway...

News4 days ago

Visiting to Withybush Hospital to restart tomorrow for some wards

VISITING to Withybush Hospital will restart tomorrow, Wednesday (Oct 13), however, visiting for wards 10 and 12 will remain restricted at this...

Health4 days ago

A round up of Covid changes to measures and information

FROM Today (Oct 12) Pembrokeshire County Council is urging the public to be vigilant following the important changes to the...

News5 days ago

Neyland: Jason James sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

A MAN has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence –...

Health5 days ago

Hywel Dda Health Board: Visiting restrictions for Withybush Hospital

DUE to increased cases of Covid-19 in hospital and the community, the decision has been made to close Withybush Hospital...

Business5 days ago

Online buyers prefer real-life human help over AI says Currys

Tech buyers in the decade to come will prefer real-life human help to faceless robot retail New look Currys predicts an era...

Popular This Week