Connect with us


Otters remain unbeaten after beating Trebanos



Report by Club Chairman Rob Lewis

IN Saturday’s (Sept 11) Championship match Narberth’s First Team entertained visitors Trebanos in what is always a free flowing and close encounter.

After only five minutes Narberth were first on the score board. When a penalty was awarded to the home side for the visitors being offside at a ruck winger Nick Gale kicked the ball close to Trebanos’ 22 metre line. From the lineout the Otters set up a rolling maul and drove towards the visitors try line. Trebanos conceded a penalty and Gale again kicked for the corner. From the lineout the Otters again drove towards the visitors try line and Prop Tom Kaijaks powered over to score. Nick Gale kicked the conversion (7 -0).

Shortly afterwards a missed tackle in midfield saw Trebanos fly half Tom Dew break through and kick ahead. Fortunately, home fly half Ashley Sutton got to the ball first and put in a relieving kick downfield to avert a near score for the visitors.

Ten minutes later Trebanos again infringed at a breakdown and Narberth were awarded a penalty, but Gale narrowly missed the kick from about 40 metres out.

Narberth continued to attack with driving runs up field by their lively forwards but couldn’t break the visitors’ solid defence.

Then after quick ball from a lineout the ball spread across the Narberth back division and centre Jake Jenkins made a lovely outside break. He attempted to pass to his supporting winger Dafydd Pritchard but unfortunately the Trebanos winger got his hands on the ball first to avert a certain try.

However, the ball was carried over the Trebanos line resulting in a Narberth five metre scrum. The Otters continued to threaten the visitors’ line for a good ten minutes but just couldn’t manage to break down the Trebanos defence.

Then, from yet another attacking ruck the ball was spun wide to flanker Guto Davies who went over in the corner only for the referee to adjudge that there had been a forward pass. Narberth continued to have most of the possession and from a lineout on the Trebanos 22 metre line Narberth scrum half Rhys Lane made a decisive break. When tackled, the ball was quickly recycled, and hooker Rhodri Owens dashed down the blindside of the ensuing ruck and gave a lovely pass to winger Pritchard who scored in the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful (12–0).

Within five minutes Trebanos were back on the attack and won a lineout on the Otters 22 metre line. They attempted to set up a rolling maul but when this failed, they moved the ball out and a fine angled run saw the Trebanos centre break through the Narberth defence and score near to the posts. Fly half Dew converted making the score (12–7).

This lifted the Trebanos team, and they spent some time in possession attacking the Otters line but excellent defence by the Narberth team kept them from scoring.

Eventually, however, the Otters were penalised for offside at a ruck and Dew was again successful with the kick (12–10). Then a further infringement at a ruck by the Trebanos hooker resulted in Narberth being awarded a penalty on the visitors ten metre line and this was kicked successfully by winger Gale to make the score 15–10.

Almost from the restart at a ruck on the Otters 22 metre line the Trebanos Second Row deliberately elbowed a Narberth forward with a direct blow to the head. The referee had no hesitation in issuing a red card reducing the visitors to 14 men for the rest of the game.

As often happens, this galvanised the Trebanos team and with some scintillating runs by Dew they were once again stretching the Narberth defence. Eventually Trebanos were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which Dew again kicked to bring the score at half time to 15–13.

Shortly after the restart Narberth managed to increase their lead once again. From a scrum the ball was moved wide to winger Gale who raced upfield only to be tackled close to the visitors try line. A series of scrums followed where the Otters held the ascendancy and eventually the ball was switched to the blind side of a ruck where captain and No.6 Richie Rees scored in the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful (20–13).

Almost from the kick-off Narberth scored again. A relieving kick upfield saw the Trebanos full back drop the ball and it fell into the hands of Rees. He gave a quick pass to No.8 Steff Phillips who charged upfield and then passed to supporting flanker Guto Davies who was tackled just short of the visitors try line. From the resulting ruck the ball was quickly passed out wide and winger Dafydd Pritchard beat his opposite number with a great change of pace to score in the corner. The try went unconverted (25–13).

Narberth then made several changes with Rhys Williams replacing Lock Ryan Banner, Tom Clarke replacing hooker Rhodri Owens and Adam Thomas replacing Prop Bradley Davies.

Shortly afterwards Trebanos kicked a penalty for a Narberth infringement at a breakdown to narrow the score to 25–16.

Narberth once again got back on the attack and forward drives by Tom Kaijaks and Richie Rees took the Otters to within five metres of the Trebanos try line where they were awarded a scrum. At this point fly half Ashley Sutton was replaced by Jonathan Rogers.

The Narberth pack drove Trebanos back towards their line and Scrum Half Rhys Lane picked up the ball and looked to have grounded the ball over the line, but the referee was unsighted and ruled that he had been held up over the line.

Narberth then made their final change replacing Lane with George MacDonald. With very little time left Narberth were again pressing very close to the Trebanos try line and were awarded a scrum. No.8 Steff Phillips picked the ball up and went to the blindside and passed to the supporting MacDonald who unfortunately was adjudged to have stepped into touch before crossing the try line.

Trebanos continued to throw everything into attack to try and gain a losing bonus point, but the Otters defence held firm, and the game came to a close with the score remaining at 25–16.

In the Clubhouse after the game Match Sponsor Graham Searle awarded the Man of the Match to captain Richard Rees.


Ammanford sign Kurtis Marsh from Lawrenny



LAWRENNY’S Kurtis Marsh will play for Ammanford Cricket Club in the 2022 season after the two clubs agreed a deal.

Marsh was one of Lawrenny’s stand out performers in Division 1 of the Pembrokeshire League this year.

He scored a number of important centuries and fifties as his club just missed out on securing the league title.

In total he scored 1070 runs in 15 innings while his highest score was 140 not out.

He was the Division’s highest scorer by just over 200 runs and was unbeaten in five innings.

On Twitter, Lawrenny Cricket Club said: “Absolutely gutted to lose Kurtis Marsh to Ammanford but he absolutely deserves this opportunity to play at a higher level. An unbelievable player and a top, top bloke. Go and smash it up there Kurt!!”

Marsh will now look forward to testing himself in Division 1 of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

Continue Reading


Carew and Hakin earn big wins in West Wales Cup



CAREW and Hakin United were big winners on Saturday (Oct 9) as they booked their places in round two of the West Wales Cup.

Carew travelled to Neath Premier Division side Cilfrew Rovers and it didn’t take them long to settle as James Hinchcliffe scored in the opening minute.

Cilfrew’s task became ever harder three minutes later as Adam Muskett scored to put his side in a strong position.

Matthew Evans pulled a goal back for the Rovers after 16 minutes but with five to go until half time Carew scored their third through Sam Christopher.

Muskett and Hinchcliffe scored in quick succession in the second half to all but seal the win for the Rooks.

Goals continued to come as Muskett completed his hat trick before Shaun Whitfield, a Dylan Morgan penalty and two from sub Jack Christopher took Carew’s score into double figures.

Muskett then got his fourth of the game to make it 11-1 to Carew.

Hakin also made the trip to Neath to face Division 1 side Resolven and, like Carew, they did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game.

It came from Justin Harding after four minutes and it was soon 2-0 as Jaden Chapman scored.

Ben Aldred then scored two goals in the space of two minutes, both assisted by Ryan Wilson, to effectively win the game for the visitors.

Harding added his second and Hakin’s fifth shortly before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half, the Vikings added a sixth as sub Laurie Haworth found the back of the net.

Aldred and Chapman added to the scoring before Shane Walsh scored with three minutes to go to seal a 9-0 win.

Kilgetty bowed out of the competition as they were beaten 4-2 by Giants Grave. St Ishmaels were also sent packing after they were beaten 7-3 by CKSV.

Merlins Bridge’s game away at Treboeth was postponed because of a positive covid-19 case amongst one of the Neath teams’ players.

Continue Reading


Saints go through to round two



ST Clears booked their place in the second round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Oct 9) as they beat Llangyfelach 3-0.

The Saints started the game slowly with most of the squad having been at captain Danny Peters’ wedding the day before.

Swansea Senior League Division 2 side Llangyfelach hit the post early on in what was their only real chance of the first half.

The Saints had quite a few chances to take the lead as Steve Thomas hit the bar with a good header from Ben John.

They slowly got on top and and they finally took the lead when the Llangyfelach keeper spilled a corner and Kyran Lewis nodded in from close range.

The second half was tight with more chances coming for the visitors but it was also heated at times with a number of yellow cards shown.

The second goal for the Saints when Nick squire hit a 30 yard effort from outside the box into the top corner, assisted by Martin Thomas.

Shortly before full time, the home side had Michael Matwychuk sent off for an apparent off the ball elbow.

Nick squire scored his second of the game from close range not long after to seal the victory.

The Saints’ reward for their win is a home tie against Felinfoel in the second round.

Continue Reading


News21 hours ago

Nathaniel Nuttal charged over serious assault in Monkton

A 32-YEAR-OLD man who was arrested following a serious assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13) has appeared in...

News2 days ago

New video of Haverfordwest High School construction project

A new video has been released of the incredible progress made at Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest capital project to date. ...

News2 days ago

Monkton man in hospital with serious injuries following early morning assault

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13)....

Education3 days ago

Shwmae ‘rocks’ project in the lead-up to Shwmae Day

TO mark Shwmae Day this year, Pembrokeshire County Council and Menter Iaith Sir Benfro have come together to create a...

News3 days ago

“Inspirational” Haverfordwest station retailer celebrates 60 years’ service

A STATION retailer who has clocked up 60 years’ service has been praised as “an inspirational member of the railway...

News4 days ago

Visiting to Withybush Hospital to restart tomorrow for some wards

VISITING to Withybush Hospital will restart tomorrow, Wednesday (Oct 13), however, visiting for wards 10 and 12 will remain restricted at this...

Health4 days ago

A round up of Covid changes to measures and information

FROM Today (Oct 12) Pembrokeshire County Council is urging the public to be vigilant following the important changes to the...

News5 days ago

Neyland: Jason James sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

A MAN has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence –...

Health5 days ago

Hywel Dda Health Board: Visiting restrictions for Withybush Hospital

DUE to increased cases of Covid-19 in hospital and the community, the decision has been made to close Withybush Hospital...

Business5 days ago

Online buyers prefer real-life human help over AI says Currys

Tech buyers in the decade to come will prefer real-life human help to faceless robot retail New look Currys predicts an era...

Popular This Week