News
Park housing policy is ‘’bonkers’’
THE AFFORDABLE housing policy in the National Park has been described as a ‘disaster’ by authority member Bob Kilmister as the final scrutiny report on the scheme was received.
Members of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority considered a report from Scrutiny Committee chairman Ted Sangster which examined the affordable housing policy which included ambitious targets for the number of such dwellings to be built in the park by 2014.
The committee considered a large amount of evidence before coming to a conclusion. They said: “The local development plan affordable housing policy is not fully achieving its key outcome in terms of the number of affordable homes anticipated as being built or under construction by the end of the financial year 2014/15.
‘’The evidence shows that the delivery of affordable housing is currently falling short of the authority’s target.”
A number of reasons were considered for the failing, including the economic situation as well as a perception that the authority was not as ‘flexible’ on considering affordable home contributions during the planning phase.
The policy, adapted from national policy which all parks had to incorporate, sought to negotiate a minimum of 50% affordable housing as part of developments of two or more dwellings with a contribution element attached to the development on one building.
Authority member David Ellis said: “This is quite clearly a failed policy.
“I can’t think of a better way to put off developers than a punitive tax on his efforts. Even a single dwelling is being charged £250 a square metre, it’s a punitive tax and bound to put off anybody building or developing.”
There are currently permissions in place for 35 affordable dwellings and three contributions, of £250 per square metre, have been received since the policy came in on October 1 2011.
Authority member and county councillor Bob Kilmister was in full support of the committee and said that they needed to be more innovative in the future.
“I congratulate the members of the PCNPA scrutiny committee who have examined this policy in considerable detail. I agree with their conclusions and I hope that that we can now start the task of replacing this failed policy.
“The economic situation over the last few years has contributed to its failure, but there is no doubt in my mind that it would have failed even if the economy had been booming.
“The idea of a percentage of affordable housing in the local development plan is bonkers and it doesn’t work. We need to be more innovative about what we do.
“The principle of percentage targets and stealth taxing developers has simply seen the market shrink and reduced the numbers of affordable homes that can be provided. It has also had a very negative affect on employment within the construction industry. It has been a disaster.
“The fact that we don’t actually know the number of affordable homes we really need in each community is extremely worrying. The data we have is based on information prior to 2008 plus the housing waiting list.
“Many people who want housing are not on this list and others are on it for insurance purposes. Unless we can ascertain the accurate numbers required it is difficult to see us implementing an effective policy.”
Members agreed that the policy would be re-examined as part of the local development plan review and more effort would be made to engage with developers and promote the flexibility of the park be made.
Crime
Police probe ball bearing damage in Haverfordwest
POLICE are investigating reports of criminal damage in Haverfordwest after suspected metal ball bearings were used to damage a vehicle and a property.
Dyfed-Powys Police said damage was caused to the wing mirror of a blue Range Rover Evoque on Glenfields Road sometime between 11:10am and 11:20am on Sunday, May 10.
Officers believe metal ball bearings may have been used.
A second incident was reported at around 2:30pm on Tuesday, May 12, when the window of a property on Glenfields Road was allegedly struck by a suspected metal ball bearing.
Police said local officers are continuing to speak with residents after receiving a number of calls about ball bearings being found in the Glenfields Road and Old Hakin Road areas.
Anyone who witnessed anything, or who has information that could help the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 101.
Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Quote reference: 26*375605.
Crime
Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston
A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have confirmed.
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers received a report of the collision at around 11:55pm on Sunday (May 17).
The vehicle was recovered at approximately 1:15am on Monday (May 18), but nobody was found at the scene.
Following enquiries, police established that the vehicle had reportedly been stolen at some point during Sunday evening.
Officers said enquiries into the incident are ongoing.
News
Labour names Senedd spokesperson team after election defeat
Ken Skates says group will focus on holding new Welsh Government to account
INTERIM Welsh Labour leader Ken Skates has unveiled the party’s Senedd spokesperson team following its defeat in the recent election.
Mr Skates will act as interim leader of Welsh Labour and spokesperson for health, care and national security.
He said the Labour group would draw on “extensive experience” while bringing “fresh energy and ideas” to its work in opposition.
The party said its Senedd group was committed to holding the new Welsh Government to account and pushing for practical results for the people of Wales.
Jayne Bryant MS has been appointed spokesperson for housing, communities, public and preventative health, with women’s health also included in her brief.
Mike Hedges MS will cover culture, sport, local government and legislation.
Vikki Howells MS becomes Chief Whip and spokesperson for environment, farming, energy and transport. Her portfolio also includes planning.
Lynne Neagle MS has been named Business Manager and spokesperson for children, education and lifelong learning.
Shav Taj MS will cover employment, equalities and economic transformation, including social partnership.
Huw Thomas MS has been appointed spokesperson for finance, democracy, citizenship and the Welsh language. Regional and city deals will also fall within his brief.
Welsh Labour said Sarah Murphy’s portfolio will be announced when she returns from maternity leave.
A photo call with the Welsh Labour Senedd Group is due to take place in Cardiff Bay on Tuesday (May 19), although no interviews will be available.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime6 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station






