Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Wales v France: GWR providing 52 trains for Sunday’s Six Nations fixture

Published

on

GWR has said it will provide 52 trains and more than 27,000 seats for fans attending Sunday’s Wales v France Six Nations fixture.

Trains are expected to be very busy immediately after the match at the Principality Stadium and a queueing system will be in place outside Cardiff Central station. Fans are reminded to allow plenty of time to queue to board trains safely.

GWR will operate a total of 27 trains to Cardiff ahead of the 1500 kick-off, with a further 25 trains carrying rugby fans home afterwards.

In a repeat of the system in place for Wales’ Six Nations fixture against Scotland last month, supporters travelling east towards Newport will be asked to queue on the square in front of Cardiff Central, rather than from Riverside Car Park.

Six Nations Map Wales - France

GWR Operations Director, Richard Rowland, said: “We are pleased to once again be able to support travel to/from the Principality Stadium; however customers are advised that trains immediately before and after the match will be really busy, and a queuing system will be in place at the station.

“We would encourage customers to check journey times and allow sufficient time  to board trains safely.”

Transport for Wales Head of Performance, Adam Terry, said: “We’ll be providing as much capacity as possible on services in and out of Cardiff before and after the game, but we’d advise all customers to plan their journeys careful, leave plenty of time to travel and check for the latest updates throughout the day using our website or our award-winning mobile app.

“Our major events team work incredibly hard to ensure everyone gets into Cardiff and home again safely and we’d like to thank our customers in advance for their patience towards our staff and their fellow passengers during another busy weekend on the rail network.”

GWR is delivering five additional services before the match, providing an extra 2,600 seats, with circa 3,000 extra seats (on five additional trains) after the event to get people home, on top of the usual train timetable.

For more information, or to check your journey, please visit GWR.com.

Business

West Wales firm fined £75,000 after man killed by escaped cow

Published

on

A WEST WALES company has been fined £75,000 following the death of a 75-year-old man, Huw Evans, who was killed by a cow that had escaped from a livestock market. The incident occurred on November 19, 2022, at Whitland Livestock Market in Carmarthenshire, operated by J.J. Morris Limited.

Father-of-two Mr Evans was crossing the junction at North Road and West Street in Whitland when the cow, which was being auctioned, escaped from the market pen. The animal attacked Mr Evans, knocking him down and trampling him. He suffered multiple injuries and was airlifted to the University Hospital of Wales, where he succumbed to his injuries six days later.

A worker from J.J. Morris Limited was also injured during an unsuccessful attempt to recapture the cow. The cow eventually made its way towards Whitland Rugby Club and a railway line before being subdued and put down by Dyfed-Powys Police.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation into the incident and found that J.J. Morris Limited had failed to implement essential physical control measures to prevent cattle from escaping. The HSE concluded that the company’s risk assessment was inadequate, referencing control measures that were not in place at the market.

J.J. Morris Limited, based in Haverfordwest, admitted to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The company was fined £75,000 and ordered to pay £5,047.55 in costs by Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, June 20.

In court, Mr Evans’ son, Dafydd, expressed his grief, saying: “Dad was my best friend, and I miss him terribly. He was taken from us too soon. Losing dad has had a tremendous effect on both myself and my brother. Because of this incident, dad’s grandsons will never fully know him personally, and he will not see them grow up.”

Following the hearing, HSE inspector Rhys Hughes remarked, “This tragic incident was foreseeable and preventable. The risk posed by cattle escaping from the livestock mart should have been identified, and effective control measures implemented. The case highlights the importance of following industry guidance, which is readily accessible and outlines the requirements to safely manage cattle.”

Continue Reading

Business

Tata workers call first strikes in 40 years to stop steel destruction

Published

on

HISTORIC strikes in Port Talbot as Labour vows emergency talks with Tata after general election

Around 1,500 Tata workers based in Port Talbot and Llanwern will begin all-out indefinite strike action over the company’s plans to cut 2,800 jobs and close its blast furnaces.

The strike action, which begins on 8 July, will severely impact Tata’s UK operations. It is the first time in over 40 years that steel workers in the UK have taken strike action.

The escalation in industrial action comes after the workers, who are members of Unite, the UK’s leading union, began working to rule and an overtime ban on Tuesday (June 17).

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Tata’s workers are not just fighting for their jobs – they are fighting for the future of their communities and the future of steel in Wales.

“Our members will not standby while this immensely wealthy conglomerate tries to throw Port Talbot and Llanwern on the scrapheap so it can boost its operations abroad. They know South Wales is ideally placed to take advantage of the coming boom in green steel – if the right choices are made.

“The strikes will go on until Tata halts its disastrous plans. Unite is backing Tata’s workers to the hilt in their historic battle to save the Welsh steel industry and give it the bright future it deserves.”

Labour has called for Tata to halt its plans and wait until after the general election to engage in talks with the government, saying there is a ‘better deal to do’. Labour has pledged £3 billion for UK steel if elected next month, a commitment secured by Unite. Labour has also made emergency talks with Tata a priority if it wins the election.

Continue Reading

Business

Amendments submitted for holiday chalets scheme at trout fishery

Published

on

Amendments to a scheme granted by Pembrokeshire councillors last year after being repeatedly recommended for refusal have been submitted to county planners.

Last summer, Pembrokeshire councillors backed plans for holiday chalets at a trout fishery, despite them being recommended for refusal on multiple occasions.

Plans to provide nine accommodation cabins and ancillary works at a former fishery business at Millbrook, Manorwen, Fishguard, were backed at two meetings of Pembrokeshire County Council planning committee, despite them being recommended for refusal.

The application was backed for a second time at the committee’s May meeting, after a ‘minded to approve’ decision at the previous meeting.

The decision, a departure from the adopted Local Development Plan, meant the application would need to be referred to full council for a final decision.

Officers had repeatedly recommended Messrs L & C Williams’ application  – diversification of an existing agricultural holding and trout fishery business – be refused on the grounds it would have an unacceptable adverse impact on the character and appearance of the countryside.

The application was then considered at the July 2023 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, with a recommendation that the council did not endorse the resolution of the planning committee on the grounds it went against Development Plan policies which directed that planning permission should not be granted.

The application was conditionally approved by 48 votes to eight, with one abstention.

The applicants have now submitted amendments to the granted scheme, asking for revisions to the plans to include a lower carbon footprint through air-source heat exchangers for both heating and hot water and the use of solar panels.

It also includes the need for addition excavations needed and hopes to make it more disability-friendly.

The amendments will be considered at a later date.

Continue Reading

News1 day ago

Welsh Conservatives ask voters to send a message to Labour: ‘Enough is enough’

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES are rallying voters to use their voice on Thursday, July 4th, to signal that 25 years of...

News2 days ago

Climber rescued after falling 40ft from cliff at St Govans

TENBY’S all-weather lifeboat was launched at 6pm on Thursday 20th June, after the Coastguard received a report that a climber...

Health2 days ago

NHS performance: Ambulances tied up as hospitals burst at the seams

The Welsh Government described the data as “disappointing”. WG “LACKS GRIP” ON FUNDAMENTALS Sam Rowlands MS, the Conservatives’ Shadow Health...

Charity2 days ago

Two more shouts for the busy Angle RNLI crew

AT 5:47am on Sunday 16 (Jun 16), Angle All-Weather Lifeboat was requested to launch to assist a police incident at...

Community3 days ago

Renewed partnership safeguards access and conservation at Castlemartin

A NEW agreement has been made to provide continued funding for a Ranger Service on the Military Ranges of South...

Crime3 days ago

Youth arrested for racially aggravated common assault in Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a racially aggravated assault which occurred in Tesco, Haverfordwest on Tuesday June 11,...

News5 days ago

Tributes paid to ‘much-loved’ couple who died in A477 collision

THE FAMILIES of a much-loved couple who died in a collision on the A477 on Thursday, June 13, 2024, have...

Crime5 days ago

Police confirm arrests following violent disorder in Pembroke Dock

POLICE in Pembrokeshire have made a statement following the incident on Saturday in which a man on a hoodie was...

Health5 days ago

Welsh cancer care in peril as workforce crisis escalates, warn radiologists

THE ROYAL College of Radiologists (RCR) has issued a stark warning about the escalating workforce crisis in Wales, revealing alarming...

Business5 days ago

Port reports over £40m in revenue for the first time in its history

IN the Port of Milford Haven’s 65th year, revenues exceeded £40m for the first time; closing the year at £41.3m....

Popular This Week