Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Controversial council boss could receive a £320,000 pay-off

Published

on

Back to work: Bryn Parry Jones

Back to work: Bryn Parry Jones

ON THURSDAY afternoon (Oct 16), Pembrokeshire’s County Councillors will meet in what is likely to be a private session to discuss the terms of a settlement between the Council and its most senior employee, Chief Executive Bryn Parry-Jones.

The Pembrokeshire Herald understands that the sum likely to be on the table is in excess of £320,000.

While all councillors spoken to by this newspaper are staying tight-lipped about the potential terms of any settlement, a County Hall insider has told us the key components of any settlement.

After speaking with a public sector employment specialist, The Herald has established that in most Welsh local government contracts for senior staff, guidance  for calculating settlements indicates a gross payment of between three months’ to two years’ salary, based on seniority and overall length of service.

Bryn Parry-Jones would be at the upper end of the settlement framework.

Starting from that point (and stripping away other payments) Bryn Parry-Jones’ base salary is around £173,000.

In a settlement agreement it would also be usual to incorporate a provision for payment in lieu of notice. While this might vary depending on circumstances, the amount in lieu of notice would usually be around three months’ pay.

In local government contracts there is a provision for a payment in respect of other guaranteed payments additional to the base salary and these are often incorporated into the settlement agreement sum.

The Council would be obliged to deduct tax from the any part of the payment exceeding £30,000.

One potential sticking point is how the Council deals with Mr Parry-Jones’ pension. As things stand he would need the Council’s permission to draw any benefit from the scheme, as he opted out of it two years’ ago when the Council approved the unlawful payments scheme which has ultimately led to the current fracture between the parties. Mr Parry-Jones has previously told Councillors that he regards that issue to be far from closed. The Council ceased paying Mr Parry-Jones’ pension contributions (the unlawful pay supplement) around the time of the Extraordinary Meeting which discussed it on February 14, this year.

The overall position turns on how both sides view their risk exposure. An employer, particularly a County Council, will always need to bear in mind political as well as litigation pressure.

The prospect of a significant monetary settlement will weigh heavily upon councillors, who will bear in mind the likely outraged reaction of their constituents if Mr Parry-Jones walks away with what potentially equates to a 1% increase in Council Tax for every household in Pembrokeshire.

The prospect of further protests tomorrow about the settlement, as the Council tries to push through £50m in cuts, cannot be discounted.

The pay-off is due to be debated after 2pm.

Continue Reading
9 Comments

9 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Health

Proposed locations for new hospital site to be reviewed

Published

on

HYWEL DDA UNIVERSITY HEALTH BOARD (UHB) will this week undertake a review of potential sites as part of the ongoing process to identify a suitable location for a new hospital.

Eleven sites will be assessed on Friday 22 October, including those identified by members of the public during the six-week engagement exercise, which took place earlier this year.

This stage of the process is intended to lead to the creation of a shortlist of sites. This will be subject to further detailed appraisal with significant public and wider stakeholder involvement. The final decision about the chosen site will be made by the health board, in agreement with Welsh Government.

Steve Moore, Chief Executive of Hywel Dda UHB, said: “The building of a new hospital is a major long-term project, which is why we place great emphasis on being open and transparent about the process involved.

“The process we are following includes developing a programme business case to support our strategy for community and hospital-based health and care. As part of the process to apply for funding from the Welsh Government, we will submit the programme business case, and then individual outline business cases, then the final business cases for the new infrastructure we will need. The health board will therefore engage with the public on a regular basis between now and the submission of the final business cases to ensure your views are fully considered.

“I understand and recognise there are passionate feelings about a new hospital, but we strongly believe a new facility is essential for urgent and planned care in the south of the Hywel Dda area. It will provide trauma care and be the main emergency department for the south of our area.

“I can also reassure the public that we have no plans or intention to close either Glangwili or Withybush hospitals. We will engage further on how these hospitals could work alongside the proposed new hospital.”

Continue Reading

News

Unprecedented demand on health and social care services in local area

Published

on

Joint statement by Hywel Dda University Health Board, the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council and Ceredigion County Council

The urgent statement we have asked to publish is as follows:

THERE is currently an unprecedented demand on health and social care services across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire, which is leading to significant delays in care provision. Put simply, the difficulty in discharging medically-fit patients from hospital – many of whom have complex personal circumstances and needs – is leading to significant bed shortages, and consequently, lengthy ambulance waits at the ‘front door’ of A&E departments, which mean that paramedics are unable to respond to other 999 calls in the community.Social care and Health teams are doing everything possible to support people who are well enough to leave hospital but need ongoing care. Priority is being given to the most vulnerable, and alternative health and care packages are being offered as a short-term measure. More carers and health staff are also being recruited to support people in need.

If you have a relative or loved one in hospital who is well enough to go home, but is waiting to be discharged with homecare and community health support, you may be able to help them to get home more quickly if you and your family are in a position to support them at home. If your relative is waiting for a formal package of care, you may be able to offer support and care on a short term, temporary arrangement or you might want to consider whether your loved one could be supported in a temporary residential or nursing care setting. If you feel that this is an option that you could consider, please speak to the ward manager or your social worker to explore further.

Spending as little time in hospital is better for patients and means that NHS beds can be freed up for others with urgent care needs. Supporting older patients to get home from hospital efficiently is an important part of their recovery and it also protects them from negative consequences of hospital admission, such as hospital acquired infection, falls and a loss of independence.  You can find out more about the hospital discharge process and guidance here: Inpatient information – Hywel Dda University Health Board (nhs.wales)

Your support not only helps your loved one, but it is a huge support to the NHS and social care services as well.

Thank you.

Continue Reading

News

Child taken to hospital following collision with car outside school

Published

on

AN EARLY morning collision outside Ysgol Harri Tudor school, Pembroke, has seen a child taken to hospital.

The collision happened between a child and a car on Pembroke Road, Pembroke, at approximately 9am this morning.

A secondary school pupil has been taken to hospital via ambulance for what is said to be minor injuries.

Police and ambulance service were on the scene and were helped by school staff to manage the incident.

A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police attended a road traffic collision involving a car and a secondary school pupil this morning, 21st October 2021. The collision occurred on Pembroke Road, Pembroke at approximately 9:00am.

“The Ambulance Service also attended and escorted the teenage boy to hospital with what are believed to be minor injuries.”

A Pembrokeshire County Council spokesperson said: “We can confirm that there has been an incident outside Ysgol Harri Tudur in Pembroke this morning where a pupil came into contact with a car. 

“The police and ambulance have been on the scene and were assisted by school staff. We are not able to release any further details at present.”

Continue Reading

HERALD SPECIAL REPORT

News11 hours ago

Unprecedented demand on health and social care services in local area

Joint statement by Hywel Dda University Health Board, the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council...

News11 hours ago

Child taken to hospital following collision with car outside school

AN EARLY morning collision outside Ysgol Harri Tudor school, Pembroke, has seen a child taken to hospital. The collision happened...

News1 day ago

‘Exercise caution’ say police following altercation with man ‘living in woods’

POLICE are encouraging the public to ‘exercise caution’ whilst walking in Gwenarth Woods, Little Milford, after multiple reports of an...

News1 day ago

Souper day planned to spruce up Narberth

SEVERAL community groups have come together to plan another spruce up Narberth and to build on the town’s strong community...

Education1 day ago

We Swim Wild brings micro plastic research to the Pembrokeshire Coast

THE PILOT session of Pobl Dwr was filmed for an upcoming episode of ITV’s Coast and Country series with Sean...

News2 days ago

Keep your distance warning as Portuguese Man O’ Wars wash up

BEACH walkers are being advised to keep clear of Portuguese Man o’ Wars that are being reported washed ashore along...

News3 days ago

Garage fire spread to house in Neyland

FIRE CREWS from Haverfordwest, Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock were called to assist with a residential fire in Neyland on...

Health5 days ago

Former director of Withybush says ‘lives will be lost without urgent NHS shake-up’

PEOPLE will die unless there is an urgent shake-up of NHS care, a former emergency medicine director has warned. Dr...

Education5 days ago

County Councillors approve massive investment for Pembrokeshire schools

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCILLORS have this week recognised the need for further significant investment in local schools. The decision was taken...

News5 days ago

Welsh Conservatives pay tribute to murdered MP, Sir David Amess

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have released a statement following the murder of serving Member of Parliament, Sir David Amess on Friday...

Popular This Week