Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Woman who died on Fishguard ferry named

Published

on

A WOMAN who was found dead onboard a ferry travelling from Fishguard to Rosslare on Tuesday (Feb 25) has been named locally as 39-year-old Mary Cash.

Ms Cash, originally from Ireland but living in the UK, was reportedly travelling with family and friends to a funeral in Co Kildare when she was discovered unresponsive in a bathroom cabin on the Stena Nordica.

While her death was initially treated as unexplained, Gardaí now believe it to be a personal tragedy and do not suspect foul play. A post-mortem examination was carried out at Waterford University Hospital on Wednesday, but Gardaí have stated that the results will not be released “for operational reasons.”

BRAWL FOLLOWED DISCOVERY

Reports now indicate that a brawl erupted onboard following the discovery of Ms Cash’s body, leading to an emergency distress call from the ferry captain. Witnesses have described the incident as “extremely shocking,” with some stating that tensions escalated among a group of passengers, sparking a heated altercation.

A transport company owner familiar with the incident said a driver present at the time had observed members of the group behaving erratically before the incident, suggesting alcohol or drugs may have been involved. The driver also noted that a hearse was on board, indicating that the group was en route to a funeral in Kildare.

MAN RELEASED WITHOUT CHARGE

A man who was arrested in connection with the investigation has now been released without charge. A Garda Family Liaison Officer continues to engage with and support the family of the deceased.

A Garda spokesperson confirmed: “A Garda Senior Investigating Officer will now supervise the completion of an investigation for the purpose of a file to assist a Coroner’s Inquest.”

Authorities have reiterated that there are no separate investigations into any public order incidents aboard the vessel.

LARGE EMERGENCY RESPONSE

Following the discovery of Ms Cash’s body, the ferry captain issued an emergency distress call approximately 30 minutes before docking. Armed Gardaí and officers from the Public Order Unit boarded the vessel upon arrival at Rosslare Harbour, sealing off the area as a crime scene.

The Stena Nordica was carrying a significant number of passengers at the time, including fans returning from Ireland’s Six Nations match against Wales.

Speaking to the PA news agency, Wexford councillor Ger Carthy said: “I think the reaction here locally was one of shock and indeed sadness at what transpired on board the Stena Nordica en route to Rosslare Port here and the tragic events that unfolded. The response by Gardaí and state agencies was second to none, with a large presence of specialist units and national ambulance services.”

FERRY DISRUPTIONS

Stena Line confirmed that services were temporarily impacted, with sailings cancelled following the incident. However, Rosslare Europort has stated that all services resumed on Wednesday evening and are now operating as normal.

A spokesperson for Stena Line said: “An incident occurred on the 2:00pm sailing from Fishguard to Rosslare. This is a police matter.”

Gardaí are urging anyone with relevant information to come forward as inquiries continue.

 

Crime

Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.

Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).

Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.

The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.

He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.

The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.

Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.

He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.

Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).

Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.

The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.

Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.

The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.

Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.

His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.

He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.

Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage

Published

on

A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.

Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.

She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.

McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.

She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.

Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government2 hours ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community4 hours ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime9 hours ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community9 hours ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government13 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime2 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg3 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week