News
Mustang opens new construction hall
ECONOMY Minister Edwina Hart opened the Construction Hall at Mustang Marine, Pembroke Dock as part of the planned expansion of the company last Monday.
Alongside the opening of the hall and unveiling of the plaque, Mustang Marine
also displayed their latest multi-purpose vessel, the SMV24 by Supacat, which is still being built and is the first of its kind. The main purpose of the vessel is to maintain wind farms at sea.
Kevin Lewis, managing director of Mustang Marine, told The Herald the early history of his company: “When I was around 15 years of age, I stood in a graving dock with my father where the last ships to be built in Pembroke Dock were. I told him that that was the business I wanted to be in.
“After being in the Royal Navy, I set up Mustang Marine in 1984 with a specific purpose of building boats, and here we are 30 years later, building boats that are big an substantial. The desire has almost been fulfilled.
“Mustang Marine has come to life over the years, and we now employ over 130 people. We have a desire to grown, though finance is tricky. We looked for partners to promote and expand, though we didn’t have to look far. The Milford Haven Port Authority joined with us and used their facilities in helping us expand.”
Mr Lewis added: “I would like to thank the team at Mustang. They are a very good and experienced team. They’ve put a lot of effort in”.
Cllr Jane Philips, mayor of Pembroke Dock, said: “I see this as job opportunities for Pembroke Dock and for the people of Pembrokeshire – this is what we need”.
All the digitaries were given a tour around the SMV24, where a Mustang Marine spokesman told the Herald: “We started it in February, but it still needs some work with the electrics, though it will be in the water between November 25 and November 28. This is the first of it’s kind and a letter of intent has been written to build another nine. The whole ship was done in house with our own local labour. We train the boys ourselves, who are all committed.”
The Herald was given an exclusive tour around the yard at Mustang Marine, where were shown all workshops and the slipway.
Robert Humphreys, Operations Director at Mustang Marine, told The Herald: “The slipway was extended the same time as the new fabrication. This is where we are building a 36ft Thames River cruiser. The slipway is a great place to build larger vessels as it’s fully covered and directly onto the water.
“We want the opportunity to build many more vessels than we currently are. We can’t build more than what we have done so far, as they take up so much time and space – we haven’t got the room to do it.”
The slipway at Mustang Marine is part of the original dockyard, dating back to the 19th century.
Mr Humphreys continued: “Here we can turn hard metal into complex shapes and do it within strict tolerances and exact standards. You can see the complexity of it just by looking at it. It’s a highly skilled and specialised thing to do.”
Mr Humphreys showed The Herald a number of workshops at Mustang Marine including Workshop 1, where the hull and first tier of the SMV24 was built.
“It took up the entire shed,” Mr Humphreys told The Herald. “We couldn’t have built anything bigger, though having this facility will help us to build bigger things.”
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community18 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education3 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Community6 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway









