Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

New project launched to preserve Pembrokeshire’s hidden place names

Published

on

Communities invited to share historic names of fields, lanes and landmarks

A NEW project has been launched to uncover and protect historic place names across the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park — from forgotten fields to little-known lanes — before they disappear from living memory.

The initiative, led by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority in partnership with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW), will gather local knowledge from communities throughout the Park and record it in the national List of Historic Place Names for Wales.

A series of community workshops will take place during 2026, giving residents the opportunity to share names passed down through generations, including those linked to fields, footpaths, buildings and local landmarks.

All information collected will be compiled by Dr James January-McCann, Place Names Officer at the RCAHMW, and formally recorded to help safeguard this cultural heritage for future generations.

Pembrokeshire’s landscape reflects a rich linguistic history shaped by Welsh, English, Nordic and Flemish influences. Organisers say capturing this knowledge now is vital, not only to preserve local identity but also to support landowners, communities and the National Park Authority in future land management and heritage projects.

Tomos Jones, Community Archaeologist at the Park Authority, said: “This is a fantastic project that empowers local communities to come forward with their place names knowledge. The information can then better inform our understanding of the National Park area and help us develop relevant projects.”

Dr James January-McCann added: “Given Pembrokeshire’s rich linguistic history, this is a brilliant opportunity to discover how strong those influences remain today, and to deepen people’s knowledge of their heritage.”

With the National Eisteddfod taking place in Pembrokeshire this year, the project will also use the festival as a platform to reach a wider audience, including a dedicated talk supported by the Eisteddfod team.

Six community workshops are currently scheduled for 2026, with the ambition to expand the programme in future years.

The first workshop will take place at St Davids City Hall on Wednesday (Feb 18), with members of the public invited to drop in at any time between 10:00am and 4:00pm to share information or speak with the project team. Further sessions will be promoted locally and through social media.

Caption: A series of place name workshops will be held to capture the rich linguistic heritage of the local area.

 

Crime

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Published

on

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday

ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb 16) following last week’s armed police operation in Pembroke Dock, as officers confirmed that three other suspects have been released on bail.

The Herald reported on Friday (Feb 13) that firearms officers, dog units and multiple police vehicles were deployed to Gordon Street during a pre-planned operation involving several specialist departments.

Dyfed-Powys Police has now provided an update on the outcome of the raids.

Two men, aged 37 and 35, and a woman aged 32 — all arrested during Friday’s operation — have been released on bail pending further enquiries.

A fourth suspect, a 28-year-old man arrested for failing to appear in court, has been recalled to prison.

Officers also confirmed that a fifth person was arrested the following day, Saturday (Feb 14).

Zack High, aged 26, has since been charged with grievous bodily harm and is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court today.

During the initial operation, police said arrests were made for a range of suspected offences including grievous bodily harm, firearms possession, drugs supply, fraud, and possession of a bladed article.

Detective Sergeant Jamie Hughes, of Pembrokeshire CID, previously thanked the community for its patience during the large police deployment and said the action demonstrated that officers would “deal with offenders robustly and efficiently”.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Sandy Bear charity relocating headquarters as support expands across Wales

Published

on

Move to Narberth administrative base described as “growth, not closure”

SANDY BEAR Children’s Bereavement Charity has announced it will relocate its administrative headquarters to Narberth in March 2026, as the organisation approaches its ninth year supporting children and young people across Wales.

Founded in Pembrokeshire, Sandy Bear originally supported around fifty children and young people each year. Today, the charity provides bereavement support to more than 1,000 children and young people annually across multiple regions of Wales.

The move from Milford Haven reflects the charity’s continued growth and its commitment to ensuring resources are used as effectively as possible, allowing greater investment in frontline bereavement services.

Lee Barnett, Chief Executive of Sandy Bear (Photo: Supplied)

The new administrative base will be located at The Old School in Narberth, a community hub managed by PLANED, an organisation Sandy Bear already works closely with through its Carmarthenshire provision.

Lee Barnett, Chief Executive of Sandy Bear, said: “Our priority is, and always will be, the children and young people we support. This move is not about changing who we are, but about strengthening how we work. By using our resources more effectively, we can reach more families across Pembrokeshire and across Wales while staying focused on our core mission.”

The charity has confirmed the relocation will not affect service delivery across Pembrokeshire. Sandy Bear will continue meeting families and running peer support groups in community settings throughout the county and across Wales.

Iwan Thomas, Chief Executive of PLANED (Photo: Supplied)

Welcoming Sandy Bear to The Old School, Iwan Thomas, Chief Executive of PLANED said: “When third sector organisations work more closely together, communities benefit. Shared spaces allow charities to collaborate more effectively, unlock new funding opportunities and ultimately increase the impact they can have both locally and nationally.”

Sandy Bear says the move represents a positive and sustainable step forward, ensuring the charity remains accessible, resilient and focused on its mission that no child, wherever they live in Wales, should grieve alone.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Published

on

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil

A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding public office for three years after an Adjudication Panel for Wales tribunal found he breached multiple provisions of the authority’s Code of Conduct.

Brian Rothero, who resigned from Neyland Town Council in 2025 while the investigation was ongoing, was disqualified following a remote hearing held on Wednesday (Feb 12).

The panel ruled unanimously that Mr Rothero had failed to show respect and consideration towards the council’s clerk and fellow councillors, had engaged in behaviour amounting to bullying or harassment, and had acted in a way that could bring his office or the authority into disrepute.

The sanction prevents him from acting as a councillor in any relevant authority in Wales until early 2029.

The case arose from four complaints referred by the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales between September 2023 and March 2024.

Tribunal findings

According to the Notice of Decision, the panel found breaches of:

  • Paragraph 4(b) — failure to show respect and consideration
  • Paragraph 4(c) — bullying or harassment
  • Paragraph 6(1)(a) — bringing the office into disrepute
  • Paragraph 6(1)(d) — making vexatious or inappropriate complaints

The tribunal concluded Mr Rothero had communicated with the council clerk and colleagues in a manner inconsistent with the standards expected of elected members.

The hearing was conducted remotely via Microsoft Teams and proceeded largely on written submissions rather than oral witness evidence.

The panel was chaired by Judge Meleri Tudur, sitting with members Ms S Hurds and Mrs S McRobie.

Mr Rothero has the right to seek permission to appeal to the High Court, although no appeal has yet been confirmed.

Rothero disputes findings

Speaking to The Pembrokeshire Herald on Monday (Feb 16), Mr Rothero rejected the bullying allegations and said his actions consisted of emails raising concerns about council administration.

“I wasn’t bullying anyone — I was trying to get answers and get things done,” he said.

He argued that frustration arose because of what he described as repeated non-responses to issues he raised.

Mr Rothero also questioned the fairness of the process, noting that his hearing took place on papers without witnesses, unlike the recent two-day in-person tribunal involving former councillor David Devauden.

Procedural differences between the two cases may form part of any future appeal.

Long-running tensions

The ruling is the latest development in years of conflict within Neyland Town Council, which has generated an unusually high number of standards complaints compared with other community councils in Pembrokeshire.

Mr Rothero previously faced a standards investigation relating to the Neyland Community Hub project nearly a decade ago, resulting in a censure in 2018.

More recent disputes have centred on relationships between councillors and the town clerk, with leaked correspondence revealing frustrations on multiple sides over workload, communication and expectations.

The Herald understands that interpersonal tensions within the authority have contributed to resignations and ongoing governance difficulties.

Perception of influence

Observers have also noted that official council communications are frequently issued under a collective sign-off placing the clerk’s name before the mayor and councillors — a format that has contributed to perceptions among some members and residents about where day-to-day influence within the council sits.

Legally, elected councillors remain the decision-making body, with the clerk acting as the authority’s senior officer and adviser.

Wider context

Mr Rothero’s disqualification follows the recent four-year ban imposed on former councillor David Devauden in a separate but related case involving similar allegations.

Together, the decisions underline the scale of governance challenges that have affected Neyland Town Council in recent years.

Community councils rely heavily on volunteer elected members supported by a small number of paid staff, usually one clerk, a structure that can magnify personality clashes and operational pressures when relationships break down.

The full written reasons from the Adjudication Panel for Wales are expected to be published in due course.

For Neyland Town Council, the latest ruling closes another chapter in a prolonged period of internal conflict, although questions remain about whether deeper structural issues within the authority have been resolved.

The Herald will continue to monitor developments.

 

Continue Reading

Crime10 minutes ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government1 hour ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News17 hours ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime2 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Community3 days ago

Lifeboat to find new home at Pembroke Dock museum after historic handover ceremony

A HISTORIC lifeboat which saved forty lives around the British coastline is set to begin a new chapter in Pembroke...

Popular This Week