Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

In The Welsh Wind gin in running for world title

Published

on

A CEREDIGION distillery is celebrating after one of its gins was named among the best in the world.

In The Welsh Wind Distillery, based near Cardigan, has won gold and the Wales country title at the World Gin Awards 2026 for its Palo Cortado Cask-Aged Gin.

The matured gin has now been shortlisted for World’s Best Matured Gin, placing it in the top five internationally.

The overall winner will be announced at the World Gin Awards Gala Dinner in London on June 2.

The gin, priced at £45, is bottled at 43% ABV and is made by resting the distillery’s Signature Style Gin in Palo Cortado sherry barrels.

The result is described as a layered spirit with notes of almonds, dried stone fruit and wood spice, alongside the warmth of the gin’s botanical profile.

Palo Cortado is one of the rarest styles of sherry, produced in the Jerez region of southern Spain. It sits between Amontillado and Oloroso, combining nutty, oxidative character with a more elegant structure.

Ellen Wakelam, co-founder of In The Welsh Wind, said: “Palo Cortado is not a cask you choose lightly. It’s one of the rarest styles of sherry in the world and it does something quite specific to our Signature Style.

“It pulls out a depth and warmth that the gin already has in it and frames it in a way you wouldn’t expect. We’ve been incredibly proud of this gin since the first batch and to have that recognised at this level, and to be shortlisted for World’s Best, is something we’re genuinely thrilled about.”

The gin has previously won Best Welsh Matured at the World Gin Awards 2022 and received the Master award from The Spirits Business Gin Masters in 2021.

In The Welsh Wind is an independent craft distillery founded by Ellen Wakelam. It produces single malt whisky, blended Welsh malt whisky, gin and vodka, with a focus on Welsh provenance and cask maturation.

Palo Cortado Cask-Aged Gin: The Ceredigion-made gin is in the running to be named the world’s best matured gin.

 

Business

Resubmitted application to convert Haverfordwest Halifax for new use

Published

on

A FRESH call to convert a Pembrokeshire town centre former bank to a nail bar which was previously refused by county planners has been submitted.

In a scheme refused back in March, Huw Tuyen Nguyen, through agent Hayston Developments & Planning Ltd, sought permission for a change of use of the former Halifax bank at Grade-II-listed 10 Victoria Place, in Haverfordwest’s conservation area, to a nail bar, along with a related listed building consent.

Halifax closed its Haverfordwest branch back in 2024, leaving it with no more branches in the county.

A supporting statement accompanying the nail bar application at the three-storey building said: “This application seeks to put the ground floor to an alternative commercial/retail use and which together with some internal and external alterations, also seeks to convert the upper two floors into a single high-quality flat.”

It went on to say of the change of use to a nail bar: “This part of the application would allow the relocation and expansion of a professional service facility to serve Haverfordwest and the surrounding areas. This forms the basis of aspirations to grow the business, both in the immediate short term, and in the future as the business continues to grow.

“The applicant has explained that the current business is a nail salon which has been trading for some 15 years but under a different management. The applicant has had the business since January 2022.”

The application was refused on grounds including the design “fails to respect the historic character of the listed building and the wider terrace,” and “the proposal fails to satisfy the statutory duty to preserve or enhance the character and appearance of the Haverfordwest Conservation Area”.

Since then, a resubmitted application, again through agent Hayston Developments & Planning Ltd has been lodged with planners, with the flat element removed.

It includes a new shopfront design which would be “more traditional in design”.

A supporting statement says: “In our view, this revised proposal is considered to represent not only a significant improvement over the previously refused applications, but which should also result in an overall better, quality shopfront than the existing and be a welcome enhancement to this town centre location. As such, the proposal should be welcomed by the council.”

It adds: “For the avoidance of any doubt, these revised applications do involve any change to the use of the upper floors, such as for possible future use as flats. The future use of the upper floors is still under consideration by the applicant.”

The resubmitted application will be considered by county planners at a later date.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven

Published

on

New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers

THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.

The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.

Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.

The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.

The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.

Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.

Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.

“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.

“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”

The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.

Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.

Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.

The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.

For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Halifax could disappear from high streets after 173 years

Published

on

Only two Halifax branches remain in west Wales as banking giant considers major brand shake-up

HALIFAX could disappear from UK high streets after more than 170 years under plans being considered by Lloyds Banking Group.

The banking giant is understood to be looking at phasing out the Halifax name as part of a wider review of its brands, with Lloyds expected to become the main retail banking name in England and Wales.

If the plans go ahead, the move would mark the end of one of Britain’s best-known financial brands, which began life in 1852 as the Halifax Permanent Benefit Building Society.

No final decision has yet been announced, but reports suggest new Halifax account openings could be stopped later this year, with existing customers gradually moved across to Lloyds.

The Herald understands that branch banking in west Wales has already been significantly reduced, with only two Halifax-branded branches currently remaining in the region — in Llanelli and Swansea.

Customers in Pembrokeshire no longer have access to a Halifax branch, with banking services instead directed through Lloyds Bank branches, including Haverfordwest. Carmarthenshire customers are similarly directed to Lloyds Bank in Carmarthen.

The possible disappearance of Halifax comes amid continuing pressure on high street banking, with many branches already closing as more customers move to mobile and online banking.

Consumer groups have warned that the steady loss of bank branches risks leaving elderly customers, vulnerable people and small businesses without easy access to face-to-face banking.

The Halifax Branch in Haverfordwest closed in 2022

For many towns across west Wales, the loss of familiar banking names has become part of a wider decline in high street services, alongside the closure of post offices, shops and public services.

Halifax became one of the country’s biggest mortgage lenders and was for decades associated with savings, home ownership and local branch banking. It later became part of HBOS before Lloyds took over the group during the financial crisis.

A final decision on the future of the Halifax brand is expected as Lloyds sets out its next strategic plans.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government2 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime1 day ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg2 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime3 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community3 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime3 days ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health4 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Popular This Week