News
World Animal Protection fund environmental divers to clear marine litter from Pembrokeshire coast
GLOBAL animal welfare charity World Animal Protection UK is funding volunteer environmental divers Neptune’s Army of Rubbish Cleaners (N.A.R.C) on August 11th and 12th, to clear lost lobster pots, fishing net and rope from the Pembrokeshire coast.
Lost or discarded fishing nets, lines and pots, otherwise known as ‘ghost gear’ is a huge global issue for marine animals – a staggering 640,000 tons of ghost gear is lost in our oceans each year. This lost gear continues to catch animals and affects Pembrokeshire wildlife such as the yellow sponge crab, the colourful Ballan wrasse (fish), the bottlenose dolphin and grey seal.
Last year on a similar dive N.A.R.C cleared one tonne of commercial fishing net and 13 lobster pots, 12 of which were still ghost fishing and they anticipate a similarly successful haul this year. N.A.R.C has a passion for clearing litter from the underwater environment in Pembrokeshire and work with local fishermen to identify where pots have been lost.
Once they have located a suitable location, divers descend in buddy pairs armed with scissors, bags, trays and lifting bags. Dives can last up to an hour in which litter is collected, bagged and sent to the surface for retrieval by a support boat.
World Animal Protection has been supporting the project by funding dives and creating films and other educational materials with local fishermen to show simple tips for preventing gear loss and how to modify pots to limit the impact of ghost fishing.
Christina Dixon, World Animal Protection UK Campaigns Manager said, “N.A.R.C do an incredible job collecting marine litter and keeping the oceans safe and enjoyable for animals and marine users alike. Ghost gear is a massive global problem and our job is to work collaboratively with the fishing industry, environmental groups and policy makers to prevent it happening.”
David Kennard, N.A.R.C Chairman said, “We work closely with the fishing community to locate the best place to dive, for example somewhere pots have been lost during winter storms. Lost gear is an issue not just for wildlife but also for the sustainability of local fisheries and biodiversity, so it is great that we are able to collaborate with industry stakeholders so that we can clear the gear and also share ideas to limit loss in the future.”
World Animal Protection UK has been highlighting the efforts of the fishing community to tackle the impact of ghost gear and last year awarded Nigel Sanders, a Swansea-based fisherman, the Sea Change Champion Award for his low-tech pot modification project intended to prevent lost pots from continuing to fish at the end of their life.
Crime
Sexual assault allegation to be tried
Accused granted conditional bail
A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.
David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.
The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.
The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
Crime
Drink drive allegation denied
Trial date fixed by magistrates
A MOTORIST has denied a drink-driving allegation when the case came before magistrates.
Michael Miles, 39, of Milford Road, Johnston, Haverfordwest, appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court charged with driving a motor vehicle when the alcohol level was above the prescribed limit.
The court heard that on January 24, 2026, it is alleged that Miles drove a Ford Transit on the A477 at Jordanston after consuming so much alcohol, that the proportion in his breath was 52 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, exceeding the legal limit of 35.
Miles entered a not guilty plea on February 10, 2026.
The matter was adjourned for trial on May 21 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court. He was remanded on unconditional bail.
Crime
Repeat drug-driver banned for three years after Pembroke stop
Motorist was over legal limits for both cannabis and cocaine metabolite, court hears
A 35-YEAR-OLD Pembrokeshire motorist has been disqualified from driving after being caught behind the wheel while over the legal drug-drive limit.
Police received information on November 11 that David Webb had been driving a Kia Sorento along Buttermilk Lane, Pembroke, after taking drugs.
When stopped by officers, Webb admitted he had smoked cannabis the previous night. A roadside drug swipe tested positive, and subsequent blood analysis at the police station revealed 101 micrograms of benzoylecgonine — a cocaine metabolite — per litre of blood, along with 2.3 micrograms of Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The legal limits are 50 and 2 micrograms respectively.
Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard this was Webb’s second drug-driving conviction, following a previous offence in October 2023.
Webb, of Strongbow Walk, Pembroke, was sentenced to a 12-month Community Order requiring him to complete 15 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and 100 hours of unpaid work.
He was disqualified from driving for three years and ordered to pay a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.
-
Health7 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business21 hours agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime5 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education5 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community4 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Health6 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles
-
News7 days agoWest Wales Together Alliance launch in Haverfordwest






private jet prices
January 3, 2026 at 4:26 am
Fantastic post! I look forward to reading more from you.