Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Serious questions raised over Main Port Engineering adminstration

Published

on

mainportANGELA BURNS AM has raised serious questions in the National Assembly Chamber over why a Pembrokeshire engineering firm went into administration despite having been awarded Welsh Government grant worth £650,000.

It follows a statement issued by the Cabinet Secretary for Economy Ken Skates AM confirming that Main Port Engineering had entered bankruptcy following a “winding up order” by HM Revenue and Customs.

The statement also confirmed that out of 157 employees, 69 jobs had been made redundant.

Welsh Conservative Assembly Member Angela Burns sought assurances from Mr Skates over what support the Welsh Government was offering affected workers and their families.

Speaking outside the Assembly Chamber, Mrs Burns said: “I extend my deepest sympathies to the families affected by the closure of Main Port Engineering.

“I have met with workers and have made my representations to the administrators to ensure that maximum support is given to employees.

“I have today called on the Cabinet Secretary to offer the same level of government support to Main Port employees as that received by Murco employees in 2014 following their redundancy, which greatly affected the operations of Main Port.

“One of the issues here is why the Welsh Government took the decision to award such a substantial sum of money to Main Port which had just lost a primary customer in the form of Murco and was already engaged in an ongoing dispute with HMRC.

“Was the Welsh Government aware of this situation when it awarded the grant and were there communication between government ministers and Finance Wales over this issue? If so, did the Welsh Government miss an opportunity to support Main Port through a more structured process?

“The Cabinet Secretary needs to examine how rigorously the long-term financial viability of Main Port was examined by officials before the decision was made to invest, and I look forward to further assurances from him on this matter.

“Given the loss of such a substantial sum of public money and the inestimable emotional cost of families now faced with an uncertain future it is vital that satisfactory answers are forthcoming.”

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. mitolyn reviews

    January 26, 2026 at 11:04 am

    **mitolyn reviews**

    Mitolyn is a carefully developed, plant-based formula created to help support metabolic efficiency and encourage healthy, lasting weight management.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies

Published

on

Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school

A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.

Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.

Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.

He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.

The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.

If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads

Published

on

Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.

The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.

Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.

The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.

The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.

Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.

He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”

He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.

Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.

Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Tug crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Published

on

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port

TUG crews working in the Port of Milford Haven have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a growing dispute over pay, according to Unite the Union.

The union said members employed by marine services company Svitzer backed action following what it described as a failure to deliver a fair and acceptable pay offer for 2025.

Unite said the workers carry out “highly skilled work that is essential to operations in the Port of Milford Haven” and that members were becoming increasingly frustrated at a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations.

The ballot result does not automatically mean strike action will take place, but it gives the union a mandate to call action if talks do not improve.

Tug services play a critical safety role in guiding large vessels, including oil tankers and liquefied natural gas carriers, through the Milford Haven Waterway — one of the UK’s most strategically important energy ports.

The Herald has contacted Svitzer and the Port of Milford Haven Authority for comment on the potential impact on operations and any contingency planning.

A spokesperson for Unite said members had sent a strong message through the ballot and would have the full support of the union in seeking a fair resolution.

At the time of publication, no dates for possible industrial action had been announced.

The Herald will provide updates as more information becomes available.

 

Continue Reading

Business32 minutes ago

Tug crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port TUG crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime10 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government11 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News1 day ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Popular This Week